Kevin Lee's superb Top Control made me admire..

Staph or not, Tony will gas Kevin Lee. Keep up the excuses, haters.

"He showed he can go 5 without gassing"..... he was fighting Edson Barboza. lol @ pretending Barboza and Ferguson are the same animal.

Ferguson drowns people over 25 minutes. Keeping his pace will gas ANYONE. RDA gassed against him and he's known for his cardio.

Cue the excuses about the weight cut getting too tough. Babies and their excuses go hand in hand.

Getting tired will definitely get you tapped or knocked out. I will say though, in El Cucuy's defense, that his last 10 opponents seem to indicate he is a legit submission guy.

Mike Rio, Submission (Brabo Choke)
Katsunori Kikuno, KO (Punch)
Danny Castillo, Decision (Split)
Abel Trujillo, Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Gleison Tibau, Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
Josh Thomson, Decision (Unanimous)
Edson Barboza, Submission (Brabo Choke)
Lando Vannata, Submission (Brabo Choke)
Rafael dos Anjos, Decision (Unanimous)
Kevin Lee, Submission (Triangle Choke)

All I'm saying is that Tony submits guys. Kevin Lee got caught, but then again, a lot of guys get caught against El Cucuy.
Yes
And you could even say that Tony's pace and constant offense is a huge factor in Lee gassing
And you could argue that Tony would have tapped him anyway

But the dude I posted is being ridiculous, we saw what happened - Lee got tired and damaged, rested in a terrible position and paid for it. That's how it be

Yeah, not having staph infection prevents getting caught in a submission by the vastly superior Jiu-Jitsu fighter.

<45><45><45>

Delusional. Cardio doesn't play a role when getting submitted with perfect technique.
You could be 100% and you still would tap. Lee had no way of defending the submission.
Wow do you even train? Cardio plays a roll in EVERYTHING. Movement, position, defense, offense. Kevin was sitting in tonys guard with his arms extended, throwing no punches or trying to pass when the finish started, did u even watch the fight?

I don’t condone racism in any form but can you imagine if this were reversed? The fighter would surely be banned from the organization.

Also, completely off topic, love your avatar of Doakes!

GIF-Thanks-man-Thanks-Thank-you-GIF.gif

I'm sure that the staph minimally effected his cardio, but at this elite level that may count a lot. Luke fought while he was on antibiotics and he acknowledged that he was gassing, but he made it to the 4th round.

Otherwise, Lee was losing the stand up and he was winning on the ground in my book. If the fight was to go 5 rounds like it did in the first two I would still score it for Tony. Eventually Tony would've exhausted him regardless if he had staph or not.

I personally don't like Lee, but I have to acknowledge that he is highly talented though he is still too green to become a champion.

Let's remember that "staph infection" is not a diagnosis but but just means any infection causes by Staphylococcus, which can range from severe endocarditis to small wound infections with the only symtom being pain. I dont know what Lee had exactly, (from the looks of it maybe cellulitis?) but we cant say for sure that it affected his cardio because that depends on his symtoms. If he had fever and major pain - absolutely - but it couldve just been an inconvinience.
It definitely effected his stamina, he went HARD for a lot longer against Edson with no issue, but gassed badly earlier against Ferguson. Not a mere coincidence.

It definitely effected his stamina, he went HARD for a lot longer against Edson with no issue, but gassed badly earlier against Ferguson. Not a mere coincidence.

Not exactly hard evidence. Different fight, he could've trained differently (probably focused on cardio due to gassing against Ferguson) and besides he did slow down notably. So I still wouldn't be so quick to blame his infection. If he was actually ill during the fight I find it hard to believe the doctors wouldn't have noticed. If we're going to assume the infection caused his lack of cardio I think it's more likely that it affected his training under some period leading up to the fight.

But he was getting guard trapped, caught in sub attempts and being hurt by hard elbows(both standing and on the ground) while Edson was basically a punching bag very different fight.

Ferguson's entire gameplan is to frustrate and to make you fade which is when he can Finish you.

Edson has no ground game. Tony was doing some things to Lee that Lee himself said was a major factor, like the elbows to the top of his head. I don't know about all the staph stuff but I do know that El Cucuy's guard is not at all like Edson Barboza's. Its very active, forcing guys to defend subs as well as elbows. Its really a nasty combination and here is why. If a guy on bottom is going for subs, one way to limit that is to basically get top heavy, lay down tight on him, put your head in his chest so that is what Lee did when Tony started trying to throw on subs but when Lee buckled down tight, Tony started elbowing him in the top of the head really hard. Lee said after the fight he was surprised at how hard those elbows were and at one point he actually tries to get up to escape them.

But he was getting guard trapped, caught in sub attempts and being hurt by hard elbows(both standing and on the ground) while Edson was basically a punching bag very different fight.

Ferguson's entire gameplan is to frustrate and to make you fade which is when he can Finish you.

I agree completely. I expounded on that a little bit in post #54. Tony was trying for submissions, forcing Lee to get in close and hold him down but when he did that Tony elbowed the shit out of the top of Lee's head. This is not at all like Edson Barboza.

He whooped Tony's ass the first round. Hitting him with big punches and elbows from mount. He got a lot done. Tony is extremely durable and doesn't panic under pressure but Lee didn't just lay on him

And yes having an infection will ruin your cardio because your body is putting a ton of work in fighting the infection
He still couldn't do enough to put him away with full mount. And don't try to lecture me on staph sonny, I've had it more times than I can count

~DaViD~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back