Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia best fight promo and more

Im really excited for this fight. Having said that, I would favor either one of the two WW's fighting on May 20th in the UK over Garcia or Thurman. Are the winners of these two matches fighting each other next?

We know Garcia is hittable though. He can box some but no one will ever accuse him of being a slickster.

Thurman is the guy who people believe to be the better boxer in this fight, yet its Thurman who has been hurt in fights by multiple opponents and tends to get hit with the shots that Garcia ends fights with. Garcia has never really been in trouble in the ring, though he's fought better quality opposition.

On the other hand, I can't really see what it is that Thurman has done that makes everyone so certain he's all wrong for Garcia. His best wins have been against crude brawlers. What crisp, precise counter puncher has Thurman fought?

I've thought about this fight for a while and I just see it being the same every time. Thurman looking like a superstar early and then slowly dropping rounds later in the fight. Its going to be razor close I think.

I think the big difference is that Thurman hurts and gets hurt by 147 pound fighters. Garcia really doesn't have experience at this weight class let alone against someone who is big for the weight like Thurman.

I don't put much stock in Garcia's big wins either. Beating Khan is something anyone with power can do. Lucas was a GREAT puncher but a really shit boxer so beating him isn't exactly miraculous either, impressive for sure though. In both of those wins Garcia happened to beat those guys when they had more of an illusion of being something special. As far as never being in trouble wasn't it Zab Judah who hit Garcia with one punch that had him stunned for several rounds? He looked dazed for awhile if I recall correctly.

I agree that it's way too easy for people to count Garcia out but I think spending years fighting nobodies didn't do him any favors. Going from cherry pick after cherry pick into a true 147 pound championship fight is a bigger leap than any of his other fights by far. He biggest attributes have always been his power and willingness to punch while he's getting punched. At 147 his power will probably be less effective and exchanging shots with a bigger guy might just get him knocked out.

Yeah Thurman gets hit and gets hurt often but Garcia is just as easy to hit and he's never been in there against someone as big as Thurman before.

I don't put much stock in Garcia's big wins either. Beating Khan is something anyone with power can do. Lucas was a GREAT puncher but a really shit boxer so beating him isn't exactly miraculous either, impressive for sure though. In both of those wins Garcia happened to beat those guys when they had more of an illusion of being something special. As far as never being in trouble wasn't it Zab Judah who hit Garcia with one punch that had him stunned for several rounds? He looked dazed for awhile if I recall correctly.
Maidana couldn't get Khan out of there.

Matthysse was favored by almost everyone to beat Garcia. Anyone saying he's a shitty boxer is saying it because of what Garcia did to him. Matthysse was the man to beat at 140 pounds.

I thought Garcias problem against Zab appeared to be his conditioning, not his chin.

its strange to see some guys picking garica because he always finds a way to win yet thurman himself has never lost in 28 fights
Well, for me I think Garcia is a master of small adjustments and I've always liked a fighter who could adjust. He just seems to impose his style on everyone he fights, sooner or later. You can see him land that 'head down/eyes closed' hook of his against everyone he fights and he's fought a pretty versatile group of fighter. Its almost like how Mayweather would manage to make everyone look the same after a few rounds. Garcia always ends up landing those same shots on guys who know they are coming.

I think there's more to Garcia than meets the eye, a lot of intangibles that don't show up on paper.

Maidana couldn't get Khan out of there.

Matthysse was favored by almost everyone to beat Garcia. Anyone saying he's a shitty boxer is saying it because of what Garcia did to him. Matthysse was the man to beat at 140 pounds.

I thought Garcias problem against Zab appeared to be his conditioning, not his chin.

I didn't mean anyone with power would get Khan out of there, just that they could. He gets stank legged in almost every fight. Garcia was willing to swing while Khan was swinging and it worked perfectly. I actually picked Garcia to win that fight here on sherdog for that exact reason.

Matthysse was favored big time but he was also a shit boxer long before that fight. You specifically mentioned it many times and were never convinced he would be something special or that he deserved all the praise he was getting. I loved his power but he boxing was always below mediocre.

I was sure with Zab that he took one specific shot and it fucked him up for a few rounds. I watched it twice at the time but I will look again and see if I can pinpoint it. I remember screaming at the tv for Zab to follow up and finish him because Garcia was a zombie for awhile after the punch.

I didn't mean anyone with power would get Khan out of there, just that they could. He gets stank legged in almost every fight. Garcia was willing to swing while Khan was swinging and it worked perfectly. I actually picked Garcia to win that fight here on sherdog for that exact reason.

Matthysse was favored big time but he was also a shit boxer long before that fight. You specifically mentioned it many times and were never convinced he would be something special or that he deserved all the praise he was getting. I loved his power but he boxing was always below mediocre.

I was sure with Zab that he took one specific shot and it fucked him up for a few rounds. I watched it twice at the time but I will look again and see if I can pinpoint it. I remember screaming at the tv for Zab to follow up and finish him because Garcia was a zombie for awhile after the punch.
Well, we'll have to see what happens, I guess.

I just don't think Thurman is as bad a fight for Garcia as people believe. Thurman is a good fighter but I think people make him out to be more of a killer than he really is.

I thought Garcia/Zab was a pretty clear cut win for Garcia so if he did get cracked in that one, then its to his credit.

For me, Garcia's toughest fights have been Herrera and Peterson. Those guys are tanks and will take a bomb to land a shot. I'm not sure I believe Thurman is that type of fighter.

Well, we'll have to see what happens, I guess.

I just don't think Thurman is as bad a fight for Garcia as people believe. Thurman is a good fighter but I think people make him out to be more of a killer than he really is.

I thought Garcia/Zab was a pretty clear cut win for Garcia so if he did get cracked in that one, then its to his credit.

For me, Garcia's toughest fights have been Herrera and Peterson. Those guys are tanks and will take a bomb to land a shot. I'm not sure I believe Thurman is that type of fighter.

i dont think thurman is a killer. he is a solid boxer with very good 147 power. errol spence is a killer.

im just not sold on danny garcia and i pretty sure that will be proven in the first five or six rounds of the fight

i dont think thurman is a killer. he is a solid boxer with very good 147 power. errol spence is a killer.

im just not sold on danny garcia and i pretty sure that will be proven in the first five or six rounds of the fight
Garcia takes a beating for at least a couple of rounds in this one IMO.

Thurman is a good fighter but I think people make him out to be more of a killer than he really is.

I agree 100%. He has always been really good but he never seemed to improve drastically. Which is why no matter his opponent it always turns out to be a war. Sucks for his longevity but it's pretty great for fight fans.

I think this will be a fun war type of fight but Garcia wasted too much time fighting chumps to be ready for a legit step up in class and weight against Thurman.

I agree 100%. He has always been really good but he never seemed to improve drastically. Which is why no matter his opponent it always turns out to be a war. Sucks for his longevity but it's pretty great for fight fans.

I think this will be a fun war type of fight but Garcia wasted too much time fighting chumps to be ready for a legit step up in class and weight against Thurman.
I thought his power looked to be on point in his tune up against Vargas. He looked every bit as strong as Spence did vs the same guy.

the guys I keep hearing say Thurman will win talk like its because he's some huge puncher but I struggle to think of fights he had where his power seemed like something special. What fighters have just crumpled when Thurman touches them? The quality that Thurman has thats going to take Garcia a few rounds to figure out is his speed. He's pretty fast but I don't see that he's the puncher people make him out to be.

the guys I keep hearing say Thurman will win talk like its because he's some huge puncher but I struggle to think of fights he had where his power seemed like something special. What fighters have just crumpled when Thurman touches them? The quality that Thurman has thats going to take Garcia a few rounds to figure out is his speed. He's pretty fast but I don't see that he's the puncher people make him out to be.
thurman is a pretty good mover though, Garcia might have a tough time landing on him, it's really only if he can work the body, box him outside, and land that left hook with regularity that I give Garcia a chance here, though I think he does it.

Im really surprised so many fighters and trainers are picking Garcia over Thurman. Oh well, guess we'll find out this weekend.

I got Garcia in this. I'm obeying my rule of Garcia wins.

My Mixtapez did a pretty good interview/BTS with Garcia. Talks about his favorite fighters and growing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back