Social Kathy Hochul New York governor "Blacks" don't know what a computer is

Because blacks are poor they never even heard of a computer ? She repeated that line
Even poor blacks, and poor folks in general, have access somewhere to a computer. Maybe she would have had more of a point in say 1995, but definitely not now. That is an absolute asinine statement to make today.

The problem is what they are using the screens for. Most are just watching tik tok videos, or other activities they deem as fun. Most of the screen time is used for anything but learning about the world or gaining a useful skill, so limiting screen time is for the best most of the time.

Parents need to regulate what they are doing on the computers/phones, but we expect the world to be the parents now, while we sit back and watch.

Well, despite Hochul's racism and poor communication skills, my understanding is that her attempt to address the digital divide is, in practical terms, the extension of broadband internet access as a basic utility.
That's certainly a part of the solution, but really it's not only access, but also an education issue. Even with access assured, use of broadband internet (and participation in the digital economy) correlates with digital literacy. I'm not in the US, but speaking about local public schooling, the IT education provided is really abysmal, and only select private schools are a great improvement. Most kids are largely self educated through use at home.

Which party has neo nazis and KKK members in their rank-and-file voters as well as among their elected representatives? Can you remind me again? I've hit my head and I forgot.
OIP.rZDtttqvRXXh1h5NCq9xDwHaEK

Because blacks are poor they never even heard of a computer ? She repeated that line

Yes? I mean yeah it's an exaggeration to an extent but I didn't think that counted as racism. Poor people don't have amenities like computers, poor inner city schools that are predominately black may not even have operational computers lol -- or at least it's recent history that they have those.

When I was a kid I was poor as shit, I didn't have a calculator. Had no idea what one was. Learned "arithmetic" from a math book from 1908 my great grandmother had. If this chick said "poor white kids don't know what a calculator is" I don't think that's racist lol. I think I was into 5th or 6th grade math before I knew wtf one was, albeit I was 8-9.

All that being said, does anyone here think she was insisting something about blacks because of their skin color? this wasn't a comment on education and socioeconomics??

maybe i'm way off base because i'm too racist? LOL, I'd hate to think that to be the case

Well, despite Hochul's racism and poor communication skills, my understanding is that her attempt to address the digital divide is, in practical terms, the extension of broadband internet access as a basic utility.
That's certainly a part of the solution, but really it's not only access, but also an education issue. Even with access assured, use of broadband internet (and participation in the digital economy) correlates with digital literacy. I'm not in the US, but speaking about local public schooling, the IT education provided is really abysmal, and only select private schools are a great improvement.
I can't say it is racist, more out of touch with the modern world outside of her bubble.

Yes, we definitely should step up our efforts to get kids more educated on how to use these powerful tools for more than just entertainment. The need for manual labor continues to decrease, so they need some actual tech skills if we wish for less unemployed and generally pissed off youths on our hands.

I can't say it is racist, more out of touch with the modern world outside of her bubble.

Yes, we definitely should step up our efforts to get kids more educated on how to use these powerful tools for more than just entertainment. The need for manual labor continues to decrease, so they need some actual tech skills if we wish for less unemployed and generally pissed off youths on our hands.

Ignorance can still be racist. I'm not certain whether she literally meant that inner city black kids don't know what a computer is, but either way it's a pretty racist mischaracterisation. Regardless, the actual policy she's enacting (and was supposed to be spruiking) is broadband as an essential utility.

Ignorance can still be racist. I'm not certain whether she literally meant that inner city black kids don't know what a computer is, but either way it's a pretty racist mischaracterisation. Regardless, the actual policy she's enacting (and was supposed to be spruiking) is broadband as an essential utility.
While true, I would not use it like that, just because it is ALWAYS seen as malicious now, while I do not think it is always the case. This instance in particular.

I would be fine labeling it as essential now. Though I do not think it currently is, it will certainly be in the not-so-distant future.

How anyone is surprised that a Democrat leader is a racist always cracks me up. If you don't vote Democrat, then you ain't Black.

All that being said, does anyone here think she was insisting something about blacks because of their skin color? this wasn't a comment on education and socioeconomics??

maybe i'm way off base because i'm too racist? LOL, I'd hate to think that to be the case

She solely used Blacks as an example for reasons only she knows. I'd wager it's pandering to a demographic combined with a lack of awareness on her part.

Had she talked about "children at or below the poverty level" and stated that they have less access to computers than their wealthier peers we'd have nothing to talk about.

Instead, she went on what appeared to be a "poor, uneducated Blacks" spiel and said something that's honestly pretty f*cking stupid and easily viewed as insensitive if not downright racist.

I'm not going to tell Blacks in the Bronx or elsewhere that they have no reason to be upset over her statement. If they're outraged over it who am I to downplay their feelings?

At least she didn't say something insanely stupid like "If Blacks get computer access they might become articulate, bright, and clean!".

In January 2007, then-U.S. Sen. Joe Biden said of fellow Sen. Barack Obama, "I mean, you got the first sort of mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy."

Hispanics are the poorest group by percent in NYC. Not even sure why she singled out the black community

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that many lefties implicitly think of black people as being stupid or incompetent. They would deny it of course, and it's quite likely that they're not consciously aware of it, but their behaviour bears out a stance of paternalism. Meanwhile conservatives seem much more likely to approach black people with positive expectations and a stance of being a peer. They won't hold your hand because an equal doesn't need their hand held.
Most leftist politicians don't care about black people at all beyond their ability to vote for them in overwhelming majorities. Otherwise they wouldn't let violent criminals continue to ravage their communities with virtual impunity.
If this were true, why is it that black Americans so overwhelmingly vote Democratic then?

While true, I would not use it like that, just because it is ALWAYS seen as malicious now, while I do not think it is always the case. This instance in particular.

I would be fine labeling it as essential now. Though I do not think it currently is, it will certainly be in the not-so-distant future.

It might have been more patronising than malicious or mean spirited, but that doesn't mean it isn't racist.
I get the feeling Hochul would be shocked to know that in Papua New Guinea, where there's a much more serious digital divide than anywhere in New York (1/3 of the population has internet access), and the use of mobile phones as the only means of access for the majority of individuals with access is a handicap in itself, they do in fact know what a computer is.
I approve of treating broadband as an essential utility, but I don't think it'll solve the issue without additional measures. I'll be interested to see how much of an improvement it makes.

Yes? I mean yeah it's an exaggeration to an extent but I didn't think that counted as racism.

Nah I agree with you. It's being made a deal because if trump had said it it also would be a deal. She should have just said poor... and left out dont know the word computer... but yeah it was an exaggeration and a ridiculous thing to say in modern times.

Last edited:
Hispanics are the poorest group by percent in NYC. Not even sure why she singled out the black community

They also have a higher rate of digital illiteracy in the US, although I don't know if that applies to NYC.

According to a report published by the US Department of Education in 2018, 16 percent of working-age adults (16 to 65 years old) are not digitally literate when assessed using standards defined by the OECD. However, the rate of digital literacy varies greatly across demographics.

While only 11 percent of white adults are digitally illiterate, this rate is much higher among Black (22 percent) and Hispanic adults (35 percent). Moreover, a lower percentage of native-born adults (13 percent) are digitally illiterate compared to foreign-born adults (36 percent). Additionally, there are lower rates of digital illiteracy among younger adults (8 percent for those aged 16 to 24, for example) than older adults (28 percent for those aged 55 to 65, for example). Much like adoption rates, the largest disparities are found between those with different levels of education. While only 5 percent of adults with an associate’s degree or higher are digitally illiterate, this rate stands at 41 percent for adults without a high school degree.

Americans’ knowledge and understanding of technology-related issues also varies significantly depending on the specific topic, term, or concept. A 2019 survey conducted by the Pew Research Center found that while most Americans can correctly answer questions about phishing scams (67 percent), website cookies (63 percent), and online advertising (59 percent), far fewer understood topics such as privacy policies (48 percent), website encryption security (30 percent), two-factor authentication (28 percent), and private browsing mode (24 percent).

They also have a higher rate of digital illiteracy in the US, although I don't know if that applies to NYC.
Wondering if this was a prepared speech. That would even be more ridiculous

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wavemeter
Back