Media K. Usman: As championship-level, three rounds caught me - I'll be WW champ if I want (+ predicting Adesanya vs Chimaev)

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The thing is, they know what's up because they've seen me come in there and compete. They saw me go in there with Khamzat Chimaev on 10 days notice, no training camp really,
and go out there and make it look like that. If they give me two more rounds that's a different fight. I thought to myself "I'm a championship level fighter" as I've been fighting championship
fights for 4.5 - 5 years, and to then switch up like that to fight three rounds? You know, I kind of got caught off-guard with it, the pacing of the fight. So I started off late, and that caught me,
because after three rounds... the crazy thing after the fight, I almost wanted to, 'cause I remember back in the day there would be fighters who did push-ups after the fight just to show
that "Oh, I’m not tired!" For some weird-ass reason, it came to my head there but I was like "no, no that's not me".

But now I'm being called-out by guys like Robert Whittaker and uhm... Secret Juice, and then there's another guy, a French guy too... Imavov. The thing for that is that I'm flattered and I
like it. These are really good fighters and competitors. I think especially that French kid. But my thing is, I'm in a place in my career where I just don't have to fight. You know, what do you
do for me? And don't get me wrong, because honestly, if I want to I will be the welterweight champion again, if I want to.

I don't know if it's my next stop, it just depends on how I'm feeling. You know, I'm taking a little bit of time for myself because I think it's necesseary. I've dedicated my whole life since I
was freaking 13 years old, just grinding. I have a daughter and a family, you know, that I'm taking care of. But I'm flattered because of all these guys calling me out, but the thing is, let's say
I do a fight at 185. Then what do you do for me? On the way up, I had to fight these guys because I wanted to get to the title. Why I accepted Khamzat was because that guy came into my
division while I was at the top, and everyone started saying "Oh my God, this is the guy!" so having been in the division for a long time, I'm like, wait... do you guys realize that I'm still
fucking here? I'm the Boogeyman, I have always been and I still am!

So there was just a thing there to where I wanted to fight him. Unfortunately, he couldn't get up to me fast enough to get that title shot. So I went in there, and sat with Hunter and Dana and
I said "hey, give me Khamzat." And they were like "uhm... I don't know if that makse sense for us" and I said "give me that guy!" and they said "well, he's not fighting at welterweight anymore.
He's moving up a weight and is already bulking up for that." So I said "I don't care, give him to me". At this point I'm asking to get it with a camp, you know, let me prepare. And you know,
they weren't super interested in it. But then of course, last minute something happened with his fight. They knew who to call because they know I am that crazy guy who is willing to.

I think he's a guy that's still learning. Learning on the job, and he's just magnified so much to where everyone is paying such close attention to where it's just hard. I think he could eventually
learn how to pace himself to be that championship-level fighter. I think him and Izzy is an intriguing fight. It all depends on which version of both guys that shows up. Because we now have
seen, I guess a different version of Israel, in that last fight. And Khamzat's gonna do Khamzat. He's gonna come in there pedal to the metal off start, he's gonna get that takedown. Or attempt
to get that takedown - speaking of freaking takedown, we're gonna talk about that. You know, he's gonna come in there and get the takedown and if you can survive, you might have a chance.
But if you can't survive that, then I think that's where things just start to go wrong. And I think he's learning on the job, I think eventually he could turn into that championship-level fighter.

Everything is biased though. I'm never gonna pick against Israel. I've always had faith in him. I think it doesn't go decision, so if Israel beats him it will be because he's finding those shots.
To sting him - bing, bing, bing, bing. Because I think Khamzat is going to have a hard time with Israel's length. To fight someone that tall and sharp. Listen, I found him so I think just from that championship-level... just having that championship experience. And knowing that a fight builds over time, I think Israel can stop him.

Source: https://rss.com/podcasts/pound4pound/1367860/

Last edited:
imostergolfra.gif

I don't buy it, he looked like he was giving it all he could in those 3 rounds, just couldn't deal with Khamzat's grappling. Would probably win a 5 rounder, but regardless of how fast he started he would still have gotten ragdolled in that first round and maybe just tire himself out even more and do worse in the next 2 rounds.

Well, why didn’t he “really want it” in the last 2 fights and what will change in the future?
Usman will probably never be champ again, but he surely was the boogeyman for a while even though his title reign does not look so great in retrospect.

I don't buy it, he looked like he was giving it all he could in those 3 rounds, just couldn't deal with Khamzat's grappling. Would probably win a 5 rounder, but regardless of how fast he started he would still have gotten ragdolled in that first round and maybe just tire himself out even more and do worse in the next 2 rounds.
its like if khamzat wants to take him down
khamzat takes him down
usman really didnt have a choice
it was all khamzat's decision

khamzat is really talented

Respect for Usman for taking the Khamzat matchup short notice, but also Khamzat was preparing for Costa and got injured early on in the fight right before the 2 last close rounds. I think it would be a better fight if they both trained and were ready, but I think also Khamzat would perform better as well and could have avoided the injury perhaps. I'm sort of worried that Usman is going to stay too long in the UFC with his injuries to his knees and can be on bad losing streak if he doesn't retire. Seems like his best days are behind him, but he still thinks he has more time than he does.

That's ridiculous, Chimaev had nothing left for Usman after the first. If anyone was going to gas in the last 2 it would have been him. Usman would have been on his way to a clear decision.

• Kamaru Usman reflects on his fight against Khamzat Chimaev, taken on short notice, and believes a longer fight could have had a different outcome.
  • Usman sees himself as a championship-level fighter, surprised by the shorter duration of the Chimaev fight which required an adjustment in strategy.
  • Post-fight, Usman considered demonstrating his remaining energy as a nod to older traditions but ultimately decided against it.
  • Usman is called out by fighters like Robert Whittaker, Secret Juice, and Nassourdine Imavov, which he finds flattering but questions the benefit to his career.
  • Usman feels he could become the welterweight champion again if he chooses, indicating his future in fighting depends on personal desire and the need for a break.
  • Usman expresses frustration over the hype newer fighters like Chimaev receive, feeling overlooked despite his longstanding contributions to the welterweight division.
  • Usman specifically requested to fight Chimaev, showcasing his willingness to face challenges, even when logistics seemed unfavorable.
  • Usman views Chimaev as a developing fighter with the potential for championship-level performance, particularly noting the importance of pacing.
  • An anticipated fight between Chimaev and Israel Adesanya is highlighted as intriguing by Usman, who favors Adesanya due to his experience, tactical skill, and physical advantages.

tl;dr:
Kamaru Usman reflects on his challenging fight against Khamzat Chimaev with minimal prep, expresses pride in his championship-level capabilities, and highlights the mixed feelings of being called out by top fighters. He contemplates his future in the sport, balancing personal life and professional ambitions, while emphasizing his readiness to reclaim the welterweight title if he chooses.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "oh, I had no training camp" but then insist you would have dominated rounds 4 and 5. Insisting on pity and assuring domination are two conflicting concepts.

Isn’t he 0-3 right now in the last 2 years?
It’s really annoying when guys sit on the sidelines and say “You’ve seen what I can do! Remember?!”

I’d like to see him take a fight an actually show us what he’s talking about. Because he’s losing valuable time every day he sits out.

Last edited:
Why the UFC didn't bless Usman-mans with that stem cell treatment for dem bum knees like they did for John "The Machine" Davis in Power Slap after the yute hurt his shoulder defending his title against Wesley "All the Smoke" Drain is a head scratcher fam 🤔 Davis came back in full form a few month l8r went 5rd no pain no problem 📠🚫🖨️. Maybe Usman-mans just wanted to tough it out if that's the case das lit fam mad respect to 'im dats alpha moves right there my guy 💪🧎🏾‍♂️👑 #AlphaVibes

edit: nvm they did prolly not as good as Power Slap doctors tho.

I think as usman izzy right would low key be boring

Back