Just watched Wanderlei Silva vs Mark Hunt

Wanderlei was supposed to win the fight.

He was on a 20 win streak or some shit, and Hunt winning was considered an upset.

Wanderlei Silva was literally one fight and 2 months removed from knocking out Rampage a second time, and fought super heavyweight kickboxing champion Mark Hunt. He had no reason to take the fight, but PRIDE had fighters who wanted to stay active and fight at every event, so you get guys who stick in people's brains like Wanderlei and Fedor. They don't make em like they used to.

It's a difference in the fight culture of the organization's and of the fans as a result.

Pride isn't as obsessed over Winning and Losing as much as the UFC is. A big part of Pride was putting in the good fight and doing your best. It's a Japanese thing.

In the UFC good get cut for losing a lot and losing pathetically. In Pride, what matters is fighting and putting on a good show for the fans. Even if you lose you will still be invited back if you showed that warrior spirit.

gtfo clown. Go make a thread on it right now and people will respond how crazy that moment was. It blew peoples minds and it was awesome.
You know what you wont find? People making a stupid response like yours, hating on a wild fight that people love, calling Hunt a 1-1 flabby kickboxer, and that it's not really crazy at all or impressive.

I would say your arguments suck but you don't even have one. You're just a loser fan hating on a great fight that everybody loves.
It's funny how bothered you are by his posts. You must get trolled very easily, what with being a Wand4Lifer and all of his shenanigans hahaha

(Not that he's trolling, he has a legit point)

Wrong, you need to "just rewatch" it.

Not "just watched"

Watching that fight live I remember thinking Wand got robbed. It was a virtually even fight but the judges were supposed to give extra points for such a weight differential and that should've been enough to give Wand the nod

Sorry wasn't Wand 225lbs at that point?

I mean fighting a 1-1 kickboxer who only outweighs you by 40 lbs of flab, who has no height or reach advantage on you at all, who should be completely outclassed on the ground and has basically no MMA experience who just lost to a guy you beat pretty easily...

Like I said it looks better in hindsight. At the time, he was basically given a bunch of money to fight a no-risk, high reward freakshow fight

If you watched the fight you would've seen that Hunt looked twice the size of Wand in there

It's a difference in the fight culture of the organization's and of the fans as a result.

Pride isn't as obsessed over Winning and Losing as much as the UFC is. A big part of Pride was putting in the good fight and doing your best. It's a Japanese thing.

In the UFC good get cut for losing a lot and losing pathetically. In Pride, what matters is fighting and putting on a good show for the fans. Even if you lose you will still be invited back if you showed that warrior spirit.

The difference in the culture is definitely noticeable, the shift in trends are absurd. Igor Vovchanchyn fights for 10 years and has 70 fights, and even though he retired really young due to the mileage you accumulate, you don't see someone like Igor anymore, someone so in tune with what they are good at. You aren't going to get as diverse a puncher as Igor again, because Igor tuned his style and approach for 10 years on an average of 7 fights a year. a guy like Nogueira is the same way, 2000-2002, he had 17 fights, several of them against top tier opposition. You learn what you're good at when you fight all the time, whether it's against top fighters or not, ring time is always positive.

Now, you're praised if you are fighting for a title with 6 fights, and you get a lot more crumbling when tested. You get guys who, when their plan A fails, they don't know what to do, and it's because they don't have the in ring time to get comfortable with themselves.

Silva was a true fighter. Now we have fighting entertainers who are just want to fight 3 tiems a year for heavy cheques.

Great fight. I also liked the first Cro Cop/Wanderlei fight a lot. Stark contrast to their second meeting, where Mirko just wrecked him. That was like a cat playing with a mouse. Wanderlei's chin had noticeably deteriorated by that point, though, in his defense, and Cro Cop's all around MMA skill set was much better by then than it had been when they first met.

Wanderlei taking a fighter probably "two" weight classes above him and on a short notice shows what hes made off. A lot of new fans or UFC only fans will make fun of him or will call him a can but on his peak this guy was not only the best HW in the world but one of the most entertaining fighters of the whole mma history.

Silva could not get the job done against Hunt. Even frickin' Manhoef did which says a lot about Silva.

Silva could not get the job done against Hunt. Even frickin' Manhoef did which says a lot about Silva.

Oh well, in that case we asume Robbie Lawler could beat Mark Hunt cause he beated Manhoelf...? Come on... We all know that mma is not a math exercise. Every fight is different and as i said before, Wanderlei took this on a week or two weeks notice so i guess that if it says something about wanderlei silva is that hes a true warrior and nothing else.

Man this is sherdog, rule of thumb, u always say "rewatched" even if u never saw it

Back