Just played my first 9 holes of golf today, any tips for a beginner?

I struggled a bit. Any avid golfers have any tips for a beginner?
I've played my whole life and you're going to struggle for a while. If you liked it and want to continue doing it my best advice would be to get lessons from a teaching pro. That way you can start developing proper habits and have an idea of what you're doing.

Picked golf up at around 23 -- been playing about 10 years at around 2-3x a week (when weather allows as I'm Canadian)

Best tip is to remember you will never, ever, get paid to play -- so relax and enjoy it for the day out with good friends, crushing some beers and enjoying the scenery. The more shots you take just means the more value you got for your money.

But, as the guy above said -- taking some lessons will help give you a base but it's a sport of pure repetition -- more you play, better you get.

Don't buy top end gear until you drastically improve

I've played my whole life and you're going to struggle for a while. If you liked it and want to continue doing it my best advice would be to get lessons from a teaching pro. That way you can start developing proper habits and have an idea of what you're doing.

Picked golf up at around 23 -- been playing about 10 years at around 2-3x a week (when weather allows as I'm Canadian)

Best tip is to remember you will never, ever, get paid to play -- so relax and enjoy it for the day out with good friends, crushing some beers and enjoying the scenery. The more shots you take just means the more value you got for your money.

But, as the guy above said -- taking some lessons will help give you a base but it's a sport of pure repetition -- more you play, better you get.

Don't buy top end gear until you drastically improve

I felt like maybe I was finding my groove somewhat at the halfway point but it took a pretty bad turn. My best hole was a bogey. There's a hole with a decent sized pond about 50 yards from where you tee off, it took me about 4 hits to get enough power on one to surpass the pond but it pulled to the right.

I struggled in almost every facet. I'm just hoping to be able to hit the ball with decent power, couldn't really get any air under any of them.

I struggled a bit. Any avid golfers have any tips for a beginner?
Whatever you do don't get discouraged. No matter how good you become there will always be days where you just don't have it. Even the best players in the world and best players ever will struggle from time to time. It's an impossible game to master but it's fun getting better and seeing improvement over time.

Like anything it's all about practice. Spend a bunch of time at the range and work all clubs and finding your distance with each club. It's one of the most fun sports to play, especially with friends/family.

someone gave me a tip and it helped me a bit

golf is a game meant to be played as an old person

so slow down, take your time, don't rush, don't over extend, don't try to crush it and you will make less mistakes and play better

Be patient. It takes a life time to get good.

Played another 9 today. I drove the ball a tad better, not too much tho. Really struggled overall again. I plan on making the trip out to the course a couple times a month.

Practice swings are for pros and pussies. If you're not one of those you're wasting your time and energy.

The most important thing to know is getting fucked up while you play is the point.

try playing entire holes with only short to mid-short irons. Guarantee it will lower your current scores while you hone your swing.

Your swing is the same for each club, it's the club that determines the distance and trajectory -- most people don't try crushing their 9 iron, so use that swing with your drives.

get lessons.
spend hours and hours at the range.
play at 'beginner' courses to start with.
limit play to nine holes.

there are really three major aspects to anyone's game:
driving
short game or approach shots
putting

rarely are all three working effectively.
concentrate on improving a few things each round, not your entire game.

after a shitty day, remind yourself it's better than being at work.
and then go home and drink heavily.

Back