Just listened to Takeover by Jay Z for the 1st time

Brom Bones

Where's that little soy boy, bitch Ichabod?
@Black
Reaction score
That shit was fucking garbage. I was listening to pop music with a guy rapping over it. No wonder Nas killed him on Ether. Full disclosure, I don't like Jay Z and never understood why people liked him. Hard Knock Life and Empire State of Mind were good pop songs, but all the other songs I've heard of his have sucked. Can I Get A is ok. Compare New York State of Mind with Empire State of Mind. One's a hard hitting rap song, the other's a pop song with rapping. I like rap and am not a noob, but I could never get into Jay. I like Beastie Boys, Wu Tang, Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill, NWA crew, Pac, Snoop, Geto Boys, DMX, Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon/Dr. Dooom, Deltron 3030. What do y'all think?

I am not into rap anymore, but used to be big time.

I considered Jay Z to be slightly better than Nas overall, but considered Nas' best songs superior to Jay Z's best. Jay Z being better overall was due to him being more charismatic and entertaining whereas Nas had the charisma of a log of wood.

I don't listen to rap anymore, but like the previous poster said, Jayz just had "it". He would always have 1 or 2 singles off his albums that were club bangers. The rest of the album would be a mix of hustling and maybe a song for the ladies. His relationship with Beyonce guaranteed he would never be washed up as long as he was with her. Nas on the other hand was a hood legend after his first album. The 2nd and 3rd album were more poppy, this lead to him being considered washed up, fueling Jay with the material he needed on the takeover.

Nas returned with ether and stillmatic, he won the war, but I felt he never capitalized like he shouldve. A few months later he was hanging with ja rule.

That shit was fucking garbage. I was listening to pop music with a guy rapping over it. No wonder Nas killed him on Ether. Full disclosure, I don't like Jay Z and never understood why people liked him. Hard Knock Life and Empire State of Mind were good pop songs, but all the other songs I've heard of his have sucked. Can I Get A is ok. Compare New York State of Mind with Empire State of Mind. One's a hard hitting rap song, the other's a pop song with rapping. I like rap and am not a noob, but I could never get into Jay. I like Beastie Boys, Wu Tang, Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill, NWA crew, Pac, Snoop, Geto Boys, DMX, Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon/Dr. Dooom, Deltron 3030. What do y'all think?

Jay Z is corny af, being from Houston you're definitely not gonna feel his shit. Like you I never heard his stuff when it came out, never even bothered to listen to The Takeover, but I did bang the shit out of Stillmatic. Shout out to Jay for doing Big Pimpin though, rip Pimp C.

Jay sucks his wife sucks. How they got together and became royalty is beyond me

Back