Just Boxing and BJJ..

abiBOX

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you think it is sufficient for getting into MMA?
UFC fighters like Matt Hughes trained in Wrestling when he was young, what about his stand up striking skills? Did he learned it only when he got it into MMA?

What are your views on just boxing and grappling?

it was in PRIDE where the most important thing was an effort to finish the fight.

Nowadays it's all about controlling the fight,so if you aren't familiar with wrestling you are going to be controlled to a UD loss.

Boxing only for stand up will work if you box out of a MMA stance not a traditional boxing stance. Otherwise prepare to get low kicked to death,lol.

Also, you need to learn to check kicks, block kicks with your arms/elbows and pull/lean back from head kicks and how to counter back with punches off of all the kicks thrown at you.Learning to defend the Thai clinch and avoid knees is also very critical.

Basically learn how to counter kicks with punches .

A Muay Thai and or MMA striking coach will teach you boxing for MMA better than a traditional boxing coach will because the pure traditional boxing coach will not know how to defend and counter the kicks.

In short , learning how to kick is not as important as learning how to defend kicks.

it was in PRIDE where the most important thing was an effort to finish the fight.

Nowadays it's all about controlling the fight,so if you aren't familiar with wrestling you are going to be controlled to a UD loss.

Best simplification of how the sport has evolve or regress.
(yes, a sport can take backsteps from time to time. just look at judo a couple of years aggo)

its a great combo BJ Peen ,Nate Diaz are boxers and jiu jitsu.

If you don't want to throw kicks, you should at least know how to defend them.

Muay Thai and BJJ for the most basic combination.

It encompasses most aspects of fighting.

A Muay Thai and or MMA striking coach will teach you boxing for MMA better than a traditional boxing coach will because the pure traditional boxing coach will not know how to defend and counter the kicks.

In short , learning how to kick is not as important as learning how to defend kicks.

Say, 2 years in boxing before going to a MMA coach, its the same, isn't it?
+ a MMA coach will teach you how to kick or defend against a kick even though you have no experience in defending or kicking right?

its a great combo BJ Peen ,Nate Diaz are boxers and jiu jitsu.

About BJ Penn, yea, seen it.

Muay Thai and BJJ for the most basic combination.

It encompasses most aspects of fighting.

How about Boxing and BJJ?

Add on to 1strike's reply; i am training in a MMA gym where my boxing coach has been boxing for years and won some competitions in boxing and grappling and had participated in some amateur MMA matches.
For these, i can say he fits into a MMA boxing coach?

Say, 2 years in boxing before going to a MMA coach, its the same, isn't it?
+ a MMA coach will teach you how to kick or defend against a kick even though you have no experience in defending or kicking right?

About BJ Penn, yea, seen it.

How about Boxing and BJJ?

Boxing is a great base for a stand up art, but....

if i had to just choose one striking art and grappling style, i would choose MT and BJJ cause it cover most aspects of MMA.

Not that you shouldn't train wrestling and boxing. But I had to choose with minimal time to allocate, it's MT and BJJ.

Someone once said that a strike from the hand reaches the opponent faster than a kick. :O
A boxer's footwork is fast and all its evasiveness to dodge. :eek:

The base base for MMA is Wrestling and boxing. Once you start to train MMA specifically, you'll learn how to defend and throw kicks and you'll learn submission grappling for MMA so if you start with 2 years of Wrestling and Boxing with occasional Bjj. You're good. #

Remember, Wrestlers dictate where the fight goes and punches (boxing) set up kicks, takedowns, clinches, and punches are the most used weapon in MMA or any fight.

Boxing is a great base for a stand up art, but....

if i had to just choose one striking art and grappling style, i would choose MT and BJJ cause it cover most aspects of MMA.

Not that you shouldn't train wrestling and boxing. But I had to choose with minimal time to allocate, it's MT and BJJ.
I would still start with wrestling and boxing because you'll learn kicks and submissions shortly before debuting in MMA. Plus tthe better gets to chose whether it's a stand up or ground fight and boxing sets up takedowns, kicks and is the most common cause of KO's. Rather be a step ahead in Wrestling and boxing and then transition from there.

10 years ago it would be enough.
You need to be able to do it all now. If you just box and do BJJ then you will come across somebody who has good wrestling and good sub defense, then he will take you down and dominate you.

Do you think it is sufficient for getting into MMA?
UFC fighters like Matt Hughes trained in Wrestling when he was young, what about his stand up striking skills? Did he learned it only when he got it into MMA?

What are your views on just boxing and grappling?

It's an excellent combination imho. Just as with any other style be aware of weaknesses/strengths for example:

- If you want to do boxing, you should learn how to deal with kicks (i.e. defend against them, counter them with your boxing or even getting someone good at kicking to spar against you with just your boxing).

- If you want to do bjj, you need to learn how to get people to the ground or coax them there or perfect the art of pulling someone into your guard. Strategize how you will make use of it with what tools you have for example - the diaz brothers are pressure with their boxing & are great off their backs on the ground which makes many fighters wary of taking them down to the ground - another guy I can think of that uses his bjj like that is Brian Ortega.

In all honesty I don't think it matters what style you use or decide to pick up (as long as you're doing some sort of sparring) - I think it matters more how you make use of it, how well you can get the styles you learn to complement one another and how well you can use the styles you learn to minimize weaknesses or use those weaknesses to your advantage.

I think whatever you do you should always start from a defense first stand point then learn how to initiate attacks.

Back