Jump in to mma at 22?

DynamiteHands

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So I want to be a fighter but not just any kind I want to make to the top. My only dilemma is that I am starting late. Here is my background so far:

22 yrs old
5"7
175lbs
- 2.5 years college wrestling( only club, and i wasn't very good)
- currently have been boxing for 2 years
- only 5 bjj classes ( so far)

Other factors: I love boxing my with my heart and soul, but the reality is that because of me starting at 20 I am unsure if i could make it to the top in pure boxing. So mma is the only other way to go. I have a strong desire to be a fighter because I don't want to do anything else. I am in college but this is solely for back up.

So I guess my question is have you guys ever seen anyone make it to the very top in mma ( UFC, bellator, WSOF) starting as late as I am?

Well Randy Couture started at 34 but you are not Randy so good luck.. If you have any success I'm gonna start calling you Randy for starting so late. Dynamite "Randy" Hands

If fighting is in your heart and its what you want to do, then I say go for it. 22 is still young.

22 is young mate you have years to learn, I tried again at 29 and my body told me to fuck off, and I'm an Athletic looking guy that does crossfit etc, if you have an imbalance or weakness mma sure let's you know it haha

22 is young enough. if your body can handle it i would say go for it.

So I want to be a fighter but not just any kind I want to make to the top. My only dilemma is that I am starting late. Here is my background so far:

22 yrs old
5"7
175lbs
- 2.5 years college wrestling( only club, and i wasn't very good)
- currently have been boxing for 2 years
- only 5 bjj classes ( so far)

Other factors: I love boxing my with my heart and soul, but the reality is that because of me starting at 20 I am unsure if i could make it to the top in pure boxing. So mma is the only other way to go. I have a strong desire to be a fighter because I don't want to do anything else. I am in college but this is solely for back up.

So I guess my question is have you guys ever seen anyone make it to the very top in mma ( UFC, bellator, WSOF) starting as late as I am?
John Cena started at 22 and he was world champ.

You built like Woodley?

5' 7 is usually LW or lower. Cody is 5' 7" and physically ideal for 135.

The good news is more MMA choices these days so you can get into a competition and test yourself. However, with the PICOs, Erson, Kron , Wonderboy and other wrestling, Judo, Karate , BJJ , Boxing kids having a youth full of development unless you are an exceptional athlete like Jones your chances starting late advancing lower.

MMA offers a chance to be good as a niche grappler, striker or hybrid so you might do alright . Minimize head trauma training CTE later in life won't be worth it. MMA less risky than boxing for CTE.

You built like Woodley?

5' 7 is usually LW or lower. Cody is 5' 7" and physically ideal for 135.

The good news is more MMA choices these days so you can get into a competition and test yourself. However, with the PICOs, Erson, Kron , Wonderboy and other wrestling, Judo, Karate , BJJ , Boxing kids having a youth full of development unless you are an exceptional athlete like Jones your chances starting late advancing lower.

MMA offers a chance to be good as a niche grappler, striker or hybrid so you might do alright . Minimize head trauma training CTE later in life won't be worth it. MMA less risky than boxing for CTE.
I'm built exactly like woodley actually

If you are unsure, you're not going to succeed. So either change your mentality or don't bother.

Work on your weaknesses until they become a strength. Michael Jordan was a shitty basketball player as the story goes and couldn't make the HS team. Your wrestling is crap. Throw everything into it and train smart to get better.

Plenty of time. By 26 you could be a solid BJJ purple belt with good striking (in terms of experience and skills thats enough for a low level pro fight).

Starting age won't make or break you in MMA (plenty of fighters start later in life). Consistency and injuries are the two things that will make or break you.

My suggestion would be go heavily supplement with Stevia aka the sweet cure.

If you need to ask on sherdog for an answer to that you probably shouldnt.

Last edited:
Back