News Julia Ormond sues CAA

Yeah that Nostradamus movie is a bit of a hidden gem. Tcheky Karyo was really good in it. Not too far from award nomination quality with his performance.
Yeah, as soon as I saw his name, I knew it looked familiar.

Then when I saw who it was I was like “Oh yeah, the guy from Addicted to Love!”

I can't argue against much of what you say but at the same time she is one of the clearest examples I can remember of Hollywood is pushing this lady and then somewhat suddenly never mind no they aren't.

That can happen fairly organically...you could say Mary Louise Parker or Mary Stuart Masterson or Penelope Ann Miller or Andie MacDowell or Minnie Driver or Madeleine Stowe or some other of her contemporaries could have or ought to have kept getting leads in big projects and they didn't. But Ormond still does stand out as kind of abrupt.
That's true, but one of the reasons the whole industry is filled with nepotism and sexual quid pro quo is because the hiring is based on intangibles. You're certainly not owed being pushed as an "it" girl. I mean some of the scripts that actually get made are apallingly bad, like a lot of them, and I'm sure there are some pretty good ones that get tossed because someone's nephew didn't write it, but that person can't sue and claim they would have sold their screenplay if they were a relative, and now make that even tougher when it's just being hired to act and have to show that not only did the other people have sex with the producer, but that was the reason they got the part, and then quantify how many parts you missed. Seems like an uphill battle

I can't argue against much of what you say but at the same time she is one of the clearest examples I can remember of Hollywood is pushing this lady and then somewhat suddenly never mind no they aren't.

That can happen fairly organically...you could say Mary Louise Parker or Mary Stuart Masterson or Penelope Ann Miller or Andie MacDowell or Minnie Driver or Madeleine Stowe or some other of her contemporaries could have or ought to have kept getting leads in big projects and they didn't. But Ormond still does stand out as kind of abrupt.

Penelope Ann Miller went from nowhere to in your face in everything and then disappeared. I can remember it happening and saying "where the duck did she come from?".

I saw Mary Stuart Masterson in Central Park back in 2001. Kind of random. I had forgotten about her until I ran into her.

Rosanna Arquette, Mira Sorvino, and Ashley Judd are actresses who supposedly ran afoul of the Weinstein machine. I have not looked into it. I just remember their names being used as examples a few years ago when Weinstein was charged. All of them had considerable success in the 90's and then suddenly, not so much.

These sorts of stories highlight how tenuous movie careers can be. You can go from being a star to struggling to find work very quickly due to bad luck, a couple of financial misses, or having somebody like Weinstein out to get you.

Maybe that's why some actresses make their own shit. Power corrupts.

Rosanna Arquette, Mira Sorvino, and Ashley Judd are actresses who supposedly ran afoul of the Weinstein machine. I have not looked into it. I just remember their names being used as examples a few years ago when Weinstein was charged. All of them had considerable success in the 90's and then suddenly, not so much.

These sorts of stories highlight how tenuous movie careers can be. You can go from being a star to struggling to find work very quickly due to bad luck, a couple of financial misses, or having somebody like Weinstein out to get you.

Yep. On the guy side of things one could also say what happened to Richard Grieco, what happened to Kirk Cameron, Charlie Schlatter, Jason Gedrick, Michael Biehn, Michael Pare, Andrew McCarthy, Steve Guttenberg, etc.

Sometimes there's luck involved, sometimes water finds its level, sometimes the wrong person takes a dislike to you...

Yep. On the guy side of things one could also say what happened to Richard Grieco, what happened to Kirk Cameron, Charlie Schlatter, Jason Gedrick, Michael Biehn, Michael Pare, Andrew McCarthy, Steve Guttenberg, etc.

Sometimes there's luck involved, sometimes water finds its level, sometimes the wrong person takes a dislike to you...

Guttenberg's last hurrah in film was the year 1990. Which was a shame, as he was quite polished in Don't Tell Her It's Me. Perhaps above the others, I would have liked to have seen him in more zany roles and romps throughout the 90's.

Robert Hays is another actor who did not see a push during the 90's, even after the underrated Honeymoon Academy in 1989.

Last edited:

Completely hearsay, I know. But in a similar vein of rumors... another was that Gwenyth Paltrow blew him to get the part in Shakespeare in Love and in return he blew her career up from there onward.

So if you hate Gwyneth, you have Harvey to thank for her stardom.

Completely hearsay, I know. But in a similar vein of rumors... another was that Gwenyth Paltrow blew him to get the part in Shakespeare in Love and in return he blew her career up from there onward.

So if you hate Gwyneth, you have Harvey to thank for her stardom.

Where did you hear that? I thought the story was that he sexually harassed her and then Brad Pitt threatened to whoop his ass.

Judging by her filmography it doesn’t appear that her career was damaged that badly.

This is not surprising in the slightest.

After watching Jimmy Seville: A British Horror Story, you will be shocked to find out just how many people will knowingly enable pedophiles/sexual abusers if the person is rich and famous. People would describe it as "Jimmy being Jimmy", when he was abusing disabled and mentally disturbed girls at an asylum.

Where did you hear that? I thought the story was that he sexually harassed her and then Brad Pitt threatened to whoop his ass.

Did she blow up or did her career die suddenly?

Back