*Judoka or Wrestler: Which one would you prefer to be?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Considering self-defense, fitness, environment, training parteners and trainers...

...would you prefer to be an Olympic level judoka or an Olympic level wrestler?

I mean a long time judoka or long time wrestler, with no major interest in cross training or trying MMA.

I guess judo if I had to choose because there is submissions and there are more throws where you don't have to follow your opponent to the ground.

And the knowledge for using jackets in a street fight, but why not cross train?

Wrestler all day!

giphy.gif

As far as basic self defense Judo. As far as which one to do for MMA wrestling without a doubt

Judo is pretty bad ass, it's more well rounded with the bonus of some basic but limited ground work. Maybe not super effective for MMA but a great grappling base no doubt. Hybrid judo/wrestlers like Frye or Mocco are bad ass.

I have a black belt in Judo.
I regret not wrestling in university.
I'm glad I learned Judo, but I should have done both.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

One great benefit of Judo, or other "martial arts" (yes, wrestling is also a martial art, but...)
is that when you travel, you can always find a club and you have a bunch of friends, instantly.
Being a musician is like this also.

Judo is pretty bad ass, it's more well rounded with the bonus of some basic but limited ground work. Maybe not super effective for MMA but a great grappling base no doubt. Hybrid judo/wrestlers like Frye or Mocco are bad ass.
Kodokan judo has a solid ground game. Olympic (sport) judo, not so much.
Most people do sport judo.
The problem with Kodokan's ground game isn't one of scope, but one of focus.
Some clubs spend a lot of time on their ground game, others spend less.
There isn't much I saw in BJJ that I didn't learn in judo.

If MMA isn't even remotely involved, why is this in the UFC forums? Maybe move it to grappling technique or something.

JUDOH!!!

love wrestling though but a perfect timed
Throw is sooo satisfying.

Ummm Judoka but only if i had a chance to really learn old school dirty stuff. Like real Judo from a old school Master.

the shit you dont learn at your local city club.

Back