Judo

Afflictionz

White Belt
Reaction score
I've just started participating in Judo, so far I've done around 25 hours... my problem is Throwing others in competition.

I'm 18 years old, I weigh 200lbs (91kg or 14.2st)(I'm 6ft 2in) all my muscle is concentrated in my legs and have little upper body strength, I was considering dropping 30lbs to put on muscle on my upper body.

I train with a red belt who has being competing for 1 1/2 years, because hes around my weight, there are 5 black belts including serveral people in the GB squad, so theres no problem with experience.

My Question's are;

1) Has anyone got any tips on grappling to set up throws.
2) would it be a good idea to drop this weight

I do possess videos, Mike Swain Judo, Gracie BJJ and Renato Tavares.

Uhhh... just more practice. That's kinda like asking "how can grapple better?" or asking how to play pitch-perfect guitar like Hendrix now that you have had a month of practice.
The setup is always the tough part, not the throw execution. I could armbar a BJJ world champion if he laid down, have me his arm, and didn't try to resist. The only way you are going to improve this is to practice, and nothing anyone can tell you is going to help.

You need to put more randori and more repetitions, at 25hrs you are basically learning, not training.

I've just started participating in Judo, so far I've done around 25 hours... my problem is Throwing others in competition.
You must mean randori not competing, no one should be entering a Judo competition after only 25 hours of training.

My Question's are;

1) Has anyone got any tips on grappling to set up throws.
2) would it be a good idea to drop this weight

I do possess videos, Mike Swain Judo, Gracie BJJ and Renato Tavares.
I started Judo when I was 18, weighed roughly 90kg and 6ft tall.

I got my black belt 15 days before I turned 20 .

So if you want to get good, quick heed this advice:

Concentrate on the basics
Grip sleeve and lapel, always.
Only do throws from the 1st and 2nd set of the gokyo
Always strive for ippon
Always strive for absolute technical precision and perfection
Don't do sacrifice techniques or drop seoi nage.
Try and become the best uke on the mat
Never miss a session, ever.
When you're on the mat, be humble and work hard.

Now that being said,

You need to read this:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/kuzushi-how-do-how-drill-1823001/

Then read this:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/invisible-judo-spacing-judo-throws-1851637/

Then read this:
Positioning for Judo throws

Then you need to go to training: practice breakfalls like your life depends on it, keep your mouth shut, your ears open and just train and train and train and train.

There's no secret to it or mystical-ness.

Good Judo is just a matter of hard work and concentration.

25 hours is a real drop in the bucket. It's better than nothing, but you need literally thousands of hours before your body goes on autopilot with certain movements intrinsic in standup grappling.

That said, pick one or two throws and get really good at just them (for right now).

Thank you for the advice, I do want to get better at Judo and eventually teach it, its the only sport I've found that I enjoy doing more than Soccer which I've played since I was 7 years old.

JudokaUK;

My major problem is spacing, when I'm grappling I have a problem getting people towards me, I always use the grip you mentioned as its the only one I know of.

My workrate isn't the problem, I'm still Learning even though I'm recovering from a broken orbital which I sustained playing Rugby, and the elbow problem I sustained whilst in a Kimora which I've been practising, I'm always at training even when I was sick the once I just watched and took advice from some of the others.

My times are Tuesday night for 2 hours and Thursday Night for 3 hours, is this enough?
Funny thing about breakfalls I learn't them very quickly after being flung with a Tomoe Nage so I tend to learn quick after pain.

JudokaUK;

My major problem is spacing, when I'm grappling I have a problem getting people towards me, I always use the grip you mentioned as its the only one I know of.
In uchikomi/nagekomi?

If so then read the links I posted.

In randori?

The problem you're encountering is called stiff arming, there's no simple solution.

If you read this link it may help you:
Dealing with stiff arming

Unfortunately there's no easy solution to the problem as the article outlines.

However, as you progress and get better you learn how to negate stiff arming. There's no one answer its just experience.

My workrate isn't the problem,
My times are Tuesday night for 2 hours and Thursday Night for 3 hours, is this enough?

Funny thing about breakfalls I learn't them very quickly after being flung with a Tomoe Nage so I tend to learn quick after pain.
Jolly good.

2x a week is usually the minimum for steady progression. However, you have to be realistic about your circumstances.

I was a student when I started Judo and once I'd decided to do it seriously and that I wanted to get my black belt I trained 4-5 times a week.

If you work full time or are still recovering from injury as it sounds you are then its less realistic to train that much.

Keep at your current training rate until your injuries are healed up and then if work and life permit then up your training as you feel appropriate.

Training 2x/3x a week most people will progress to black belt in around 3-5 years.

This is going to sound harsh, but after 25 hours of Judo, you don't know breakfalls. You may have got your head around the basics, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye, so keep on working on them.

You want to get to the level where you can take repeated full force nagekomi for high rep sets.

It sounds like you have a great attitude though so no doubt you will do well and progress.

Stiff arming is a real curse for me. I have almost only trained in clubs where people stiff arm and nobody notices it. I m always the one to suggest to do light randori to try out stuff. I guess I have been just unlucky regarding the people I train with and under. It s always about winning, it seems, but nobody wins anyways, since as a noob it s hard to negate Stiff arming. So I stiff arm too. The only problem is that the advanced belt I train with are also not able to break my Stiff arm.

I guess it s a supervision question. You wouldn't believe the bullshit that I be heard from my last coach. Just anti judo in my opinion.

It s very hard to find a good place for judo where I live.

I am currently a bit discouraged about judo I have to say, as I know that I'm learning bad judo and there is little I can do about it.

I think a lot of it has to do with living in Germany and learning judo as an adult. I think people around here just start judo so young that they are just not used to teaching to adults.

I have a similar build, 6'5" 207-208 lbs, and when I was competing heavily in judo (albeit as a minor) I found that the reaping throws (osoto/kosoto gari, o ouchi / ko ouchi gari) as well as footsweeps, footstops, harai goshi, taiatoshi, and combinations of the above worked very well.

I was particularly fond of the o ouchi or ko ouchi gari into ouchi mata or harai goshi combination.

The feinted inside reap gets them leaning forward to block the backward throw, which puts them into perfect position for a fast transition into uchi mata.

You have a grand total of 25 hours of training under your belt. Your line of questioning is basically "How do I get better?" Easy - train more.

I mean, at your introductory level you'd get the most benefit from just doing more breakfalls. Your training journey is going to be about years (hopefully), not hours.

I found that the trips work a lot better for me in BJJ Competitions, but you need to be able to stay close or close the distance easily to execute most of them

Last edited:
I found that the trips work a lot better for me in BJJ Competitions, but you need to be able to stay close or close the distance easily to execute most of them

The best part about "trips" (o soto and ko soto gari being the outside reaping throws or outside trips, while o ouchi and ko ouchi gari being the inside "trips") is that they are incredibly useful, not just as the initial TD but also as feints to force the opponent to lean forward in a sprawl to defend the backward TD thus exposing themselves to a forward hip throw.

The best part about "trips" (o soto and ko soto gari being the outside reaping throws or outside trips, while o ouchi and ko ouchi gari being the inside "trips") is that they are incredibly useful, not just as the initial TD but also as feints to force the opponent to lean forward in a sprawl to defend the backward TD thus exposing themselves to a forward hip throw.

Exactly. I look for trips first, and if they defend its an easy progression to move on from there. Once you have the guy constantly defending you are immediately at an advantage. I am by no means a great Judo competitor thus far but I am one of the better stand up fighters in BJJ competition for my BJJ belt level, and this is a huge reason why

Can someone also run me through the Legal submissions available in Judo, I've been told theres a version a the Omoplata that is legal but as the Omoplata itself is a Shoulder lock and those are illegal, what is the variation that is legal?

Can someone also run me through the Legal submissions available in Judo, I've been told theres a version a the Omoplata that is legal but as the Omoplata itself is a Shoulder lock and those are illegal, what is the variation that is legal?

Depends on the level and the referees. One of my teammates got DQ'ed for a guillotine. It wasn't prohibited by the rules, but the ref called it a neck crank, which of course is ridiculous.

Depends on the level and the referees. One of my teammates got DQ'ed for a guillotine. It wasn't prohibited by the rules, but the ref called it a neck crank, which of course is ridiculous.
Anything that puts stress on the neck is illegal in Judo, including pulling down on the head during a triangle. Ironic considering the throws.

Different national governing bodies have different rules as to what you can and can't do at each belt level so I'll go by IJF rules. You mentioned GB squad (presumably Great Britain) so I guess you're with the BJA. AFAIK all submissions are open to all grades.

Omaplata should be fine as it's basiclly ude-garami (Americana/Kimura) using the legs and I believe it's known as ashi-sankaku-garami. But you're better of focusing on armbars (juji-gatame) and ude-garami.

No wrist locks, no leg locks, no neck cranking/pulling/twisting of any kind. You cannot choke someone with a belt, you can choke someone with their own gi but not your own

Anything that puts stress on the neck is illegal in Judo, including pulling down on the head during a triangle. Ironic considering the throws.

Just for your information the guillotine is not a neck cranking technique.

gotta love Judo officiating at the grassroots level.

I couldn't count on my fingers for how many times I've been hansouko make'd for grabbing the leg(s) when I was obviously using the technique as a counter or he had the 2 on 1 grip on me.

Also to hell with the rules. Why do I still compete? lol

You can never practise enough, Through my experience I find that as I am 5:8 (shorter) it is more allowing for me to us throws like ippon seoi nage. Everyone finds their throw, just keep practising:)

Back