Judo vs wrestling.

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
someone posted a thread about the downfall of ronda and it got me thinking about the differences between judo and wrestling takedowns\throws. i think judo really excels when you have someone trying to push forward into the clinch to dirty box or wrestle, but falls apart a bit when you have someone the is purely focused on denying the clinch and staying on the outside to strike.
all it takes is a couple of knees and then push away, because upper body throws take a bit more to set up than leg takedowns. the advantage judo throws have if performed correctly, is they take less energy and have great impact. i think it has a bit to do with judo being a more defensive art by nature.

If your goal is to simply get your opponent to the ground, wrestling is more efficient. However, Judo is better at facilitating submissions.

Judo is better, or easier, as far as establishing a domant position directly off your throw/takedown. Wrestling is clearly the safer approach to get to the ground without absorbing strikes coming in. Ronda is the best example of this but it looks worse in her case due to her non-existent striking defense. As mentioned, you'll most likely end up in guard unless your facing a noob on the ground. IMO, wrestling offers a wider variety of offense and provides a better base defensively as well. Just my opinion.

Judo also relies quite a bit on holding the Gi/Jacket/clothing of your opponent and has to be adapted for MMA use as this is illegal.

judo works great if your a strong striker and can force them to initiate the clinch. but they just aren't as efficient at getting under strikes as wrestlers. the ol' duck and double is the bane of strikers in mma and always has been.

Doesn’t Russian style of judo use single and double leg takedowns??

If you're referring to Sambo, yes it does, but the grappling in Sambo is mostly a hybrid of Judo + Wrestling in the first place.

Freestyle wrestling has TDs below the waist, Judo doesnt.

Judo has TDs below the waist (morote gari for example) they are just banned in competition along with pick up throws because the Japanese got whipped at the Olympics by the Mongolians and Russians extensively using those techniques.
Unfortunately that's why those techniques aren't taught in competition oriented schools. But a few decades ago they were usual in judo competition.

Last edited:
Ask Ad Santel about which is better

How is this even a discussion?

Good old fashioned American Folkstyle wrestling (US HS/Collegiate wrestling) trumps every other grappling artform in a real fight.

There's a reason that the only Judo player that has ever dominated in MMA was a woman. Unless you want to call Lombard's can crushing brigade "dominating".

Judo is whatever, but for MMA, it's largely a joke. Especially pure Judo players making the cross over.
judo actually takes less transition for mma than folkstyle, more understanding of submissions and they don't give up their back every time they hit the floor. all grappling styles require a lot of training to cross over into mma. any decent grappler that has competed in mma can tell you this. combat sambo is actually the art that requires the least crossover, but it has always been geared towards fighting anyway.

Judo has TDs below the waist (morote gari for example) they are just banned in competition along with pick up throws because the Japanese got whipped at the Olympics by the Mongolians and Russians extensively using those techniques.
mongolian wrestlers are the business, i would love to see more getting into mma. it is unlikely though as they are gods in their own country for just wrestling.

How is this even a discussion?

Good old fashioned American Folkstyle wrestling (US HS/Collegiate wrestling) trumps every other grappling artform in a real fight.

There's a reason that the only Judo player that has ever dominated in MMA was a woman. Unless you want to call Lombard's can crushing brigade "dominating".

Judo is whatever, but for MMA, it's largely a joke. Especially pure Judo players making the cross over.
Catch wrestling > collegiate for mma and it's not even close

Neither Judo nor Sambo have conditioning/weight cutting cultures surrounding them. Sambo is slowly getting there, but it's still light years away from Folkstyle. There's a reason that most MMA champions have been Folkstyle wrestlers, especially in the modern era.
all weight cutting is shit, designed by pussies that what to fight people smaller than themselves. ban weight cuts, bring back the kidneys.
p.s i'm with you on the conditioning thing though, wrestlers are great athletes and i'm a little jealous we don't have a wrestling culture in australia.

How? Grabbing clothing?
yes grabbing clothing. also judo throws have less chance of hurting the user on concrete. i have a more basic wrestling style and chipped elbows and bruised knees are really common if you apply wrestling techniques on the street.

Catch wrestling > collegiate for mma and it's not even close
Catch wrestlers have pretty shitty takedowns, they are a lot better than bjj takedowns, but you're not going to take someone down who is better at it than you. Freestyle/folkstyle > catch.

Back