Judo once a week - worth it?

Nik123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So as I've just started competing in bjj, figured working a bit of stand up into my game may be beneficial.

My timetable will only allow one extra class (already planning on doing bjj 3 times a week). So if I squeeze in one Judo session in the week, is that enough to actually learn anything?

Also am I risking serious injury with Judo vs bjj?

The benefit is you will learn to breakfall and be more comfortable on your feet. More than that depends on what exactly is being taught and how.

I feel like most of what I do in judo doesn't improve my BJJ at all.

I did Judo once a week and it did not help at all.

I then started doing a monthly private with a Judo BB who was also a BJJ Purple, with lots of experience competing in BJJ, and then doing weekly standup sparring and drilling in an open mat. That has really improved things.

Judo for Judo and Judo for BJJ are very different imo due to the rules.

it will make you more comfortable standing up and help a ton with your gripfighting, and itll probably help a bit with conditioning compared to bjj

learning to breakfall properly will be one of the most beneficial things youll ever learn imo

I think if you are grappling one more day than you would otherwise it will be a plus. It will certainly help with your stand up. You can always try it and see if you like it.

No, once a week will do little for you. How good do you expect to get at doing anything once a week? Judo or BJJ or insert whatever MA is about repitiion.

I feel like most of what I do in judo doesn't improve my BJJ at all.
I feel like this is a personal problem of yours, and i also feel like you demonstrably lack the proficiency to make this statement.
-------
Progress will be slow, but any Judo is better than no Judo. as stated, some moves need to be modified to BJJ context otherwise they're basically a flying back take.

Judo is way, way the fuck more high-impact than BJJ. It's basically the art of flinging yourself and other people at the ground as hard as you possibly can. You can mitigate a lot of that impact with proper training, but again that'll take you a longer time to develop good falling and acclimate to repeated impact.

as far as the rules, it'll depend on who you learn from. i don't see the point in not teaching the leg grabs unless someone has olympic aspirations, which is a long, long fucking shot in America. being the best Judoka in America is like being the best baseball player in Japan - you might be able to hang in the big leagues, but you're not exposed to anywhere near the same caliber of play.

taking out leg grabs took away a lot of intuitive grappling reactions to positions and (i think unfairly) favored one style of play over another (read: was designed to impede the dominance of mongolian and eastern european wrestlers.)

that said, cross-training is a good thing. BJJ and Judo are very complimentary to one another, like two wings of the same bird. training both helps you close the gaps in your game.

I feel like this is a personal problem of yours, and i also feel like you demonstrably lack the proficiency to make this statement.
-------

Well how many Bjj matches have you won using judo? I have more success winning by pulling guard in BJJ matches then trying to win with judo throws.

Well how many Bjj matches have you won using judo? I have more success winning by pulling guard in BJJ matches then trying to win with judo throws.

What about wrestling then? Only thing is my club offers that on Sundays which is tough to make for me. Judo I could do right after (or before) my bjj class..

I did judo once a week in parallel with bjj for two years. I could not pull spectacular judo throws on bjj guys but it did make big difference.

- I became comfortable taking falls, and stopped worrying about being thrown.
- my grips became unbreakable for bjj guys.
- I was able to take them down by just outmoving. Having a grip and circling around kills any lame guard pull with side mount position as a result.
- If they were going for single leg I was able to do sumi gaeshi into top mount.

Eventually, I switched to judo 4-5 days a week because it is easier for my body and more fun than bjj.

What about wrestling then? Only thing is my club offers that on Sundays which is tough to make for me. Judo I could do right after (or before) my bjj class..

You should try both and see what you like better.

How many Judo matches have you won by ippon or guard pull?

None, I suck at judo as I only do it 2 hours a week and spend time training for bjj tournaments instead. I've seen people do what ts is doing and they get frustrated.

If they are a big guy going fo a judo throw in a tournament might be better than pulling guard . It depends on a lot though.

if you like to grapple, get in as many grappling sessions a week as you can, forget about what they call it, its all just grappling

So as I've just started competing in bjj, figured working a bit of stand up into my game may be beneficial.

My timetable will only allow one extra class (already planning on doing bjj 3 times a week). So if I squeeze in one Judo session in the week, is that enough to actually learn anything?

Also am I risking serious injury with Judo vs bjj?

Well unfortunately once a week of any martial arts training, bodybuilding or cardio exercises, yes even two times in a week is not enough.

Most health guidelines say 15 minutes to 30 minutes cardio exercises a day to be healthy!! And be able to run at least one mile.

This does even count what amatuer MMA fighters or sports athletes cardio is that alone semi professional.

The 1 or 2 hard cardio exercises you doing in week is not going to be doing much of any help.

I feel once week of martial arts training or bodybuilding in week would not be enough for you. You may gain some thing than in 3 days or so not doing it you will loss some thing.

It like bodybuilding you can have really good work out and may gain body muscle!! But the 3 or 4 days not working out you loss that body muscle!!

Same with trying do Judo or boxing or what ever you want to pick up.

If you really only have one day in week you better of work on BJJ or cardio. You probably doing cardio as it is.

I did Judo once a week and it did not help at all.

I then started doing a monthly private with a Judo BB who was also a BJJ Purple, with lots of experience competing in BJJ, and then doing weekly standup sparring and drilling in an open mat. That has really improved things.

Judo for Judo and Judo for BJJ are very different imo due to the rules.
That!

Take the once a week beginner class, start your rolling Ukemi training, grips and basic throw mechanics. That alone will help some.

Keep looking around, maybe at your Judo school another student has some BJJ experience and will train with you on your weaknesses in standup. Or you have a BJJ bud who'll stay half hour after class and drill some throws....

Or like he said you stumble on that gem that focus's on the exact area you're interested in.

You'll find something.

But yeah, no less than 3 times a week to get any solid development in any discipline.

Well unfortunately once a week of any martial arts training, bodybuilding or cardio exercises, yes even two times in a week is not enough.

Most health guidelines say 15 minutes to 30 minutes cardio exercises a day to be healthy!! And be able to run at least one mile.

This does even count what amatuer MMA fighters or sports athletes cardio is that alone semi professional.

The 1 or 2 hard cardio exercises you doing in week is not going to be doing much of any help.

I feel once week of martial arts training or bodybuilding in week would not be enough for you. You may gain some thing than in 3 days or so not doing it you will loss some thing.

It like bodybuilding you can have really good work out and may gain body muscle!! But the 3 or 4 days not working out you loss that body muscle!!

Same with trying do Judo or boxing or what ever you want to pick up.

If you really only have one day in week you better of work on BJJ or cardio. You probably doing cardio as it is.

Is this a joke?

It wont be great, but if you decide to do this, try to find space in your schedule to go over techniques you learnt from judo.

Do this, an I guarantee you will become much better.

Train Judo consistently with good Judo guys

Train wrestling with good wrestlers

Dont do this and you will likely not get much better. People who try to piece it together and learn a a few "throws for jits bro" tend to end up sucking altogether.

Guess you train at RGA right?

Back