Judo in NYC

newaza2009

White Belt
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any good Judo clubs in NYC? I know Oishi, but they're location and schedule is not really great for me. I would like to train at New York Athletic Club but I don't really know how. For such a big city, there doesn't seem to be too much judo around. Any help is extremely appreciated.

Has anyone tried the McBurney Judo classes? The schedule is really the only one that works for me in NYC.

http://mmatribenj.com/contact-us

If you can make it out to Ridgefield, NJ, I'd train here... Alex has a good Judo background and does 2 judo classes a week along with bjj and wrestling. I've ridden a bike over there from Manhattan before so it's not too much of a hike but definitely worth the trip.

also I think Queens MMA may have a judo program as well.

NYC best kept judo secret:
Biwako Judo, tues & thurs, 6 to 8, for the low, low of $20 a month!

google it up!

too bad you're not upstate. Then you could go to Jason Morris's.

There are a number of judo clubs within Brooklyn & Queens: ITC, Brigthon Beach Judo Club, Spartak in Queens, & Combat Sambo Center( Judo guys with Sambo comp) experience.
All the ones I mentioned all have Soviet style(Russian-Uzbek..i.e) judo = "jacket wrestling".
Here's also a couple of interesting alternatives. Five Points Muay Thai has Judo classes on Tuesday-Thursday-Friday run by a coach with Eastern European competition experience. He is the hidden gem in the city in terms of coaching.
Another alternative, assuming you can get their early is Renzo Gracie Fight Academy, Harry & Gary teach Judo at this MMA gym & they are both good coaches with international experience.

http://mmatribenj.com/contact-us

If you can make it out to Ridgefield, NJ, I'd train here... Alex has a good Judo background and does 2 judo classes a week along with bjj and wrestling. I've ridden a bike over there from Manhattan before so it's not too much of a hike but definitely worth the trip.

How long was the bike ride? Was it safe going?

Last edited:
Thanks for the love Hellboy. the ride will depend on where you live in the city, closer to GW brigde the better, it's about 7-10 min ride from there on the jersey side.
Check our website of contact me via PM for more info.

There is international training center in Astoria. It is right next to train station. Pretty good school. I used to be there for a little bit.

There are a number of judo clubs within Brooklyn & Queens: ITC, Brigthon Beach Judo Club, Spartak in Queens, & Combat Sambo Center( Judo guys with Sambo comp) experience.
All the ones I mentioned all have Soviet style(Russian-Uzbek..i.e) judo = "jacket wrestling".
Here's also a couple of interesting alternatives. Five Points Muay Thai has Judo classes on Tuesday-Thursday-Friday run by a coach with Eastern European competition experience. He is the hidden gem in the city in terms of coaching.
Another alternative, assuming you can get their early is Renzo Gracie Fight Academy, Harry & Gary teach Judo at this MMA gym & they are both good coaches with international experience.
I don't know why it never crossed my mind until recently that there must be an absolute goldmine of wrestling/judo talent in Brighton Beach and other areas with a ton of Russian, Ukrainian, Georgian people.

Back