judo dvd

The judo bull

White Belt
Reaction score
i am new to judo been practicing and competing for nearly a year now and i am thinking of buying a judo instructional dvd that covers all aspects of judo from nage waza to katame waza and shimewaza and would like help in picking the best one out there and would like to find out which ones have helped all you judokas out there the most? cheers:wink:

I don't know if you could find it, but Mike Swain's "Complete Judo" is excellent. Every throw from multiple angles with commentary and variations, and an hour just on counter throws and combinations.

Ne Waza of Kashiwazaki is fantastic for groundwork, as is the "Komlock" dvd by Koji Komuro. There are lots of other more specific DVDs like for throws with "Everything you should know about Seoi Nage" by Israel Hernandez or judoka specific like "Koga - A New Wind" or Inoue's boxed set that detail the special techniques and details from those big-name champions.

Neil Adams' Modern Competitive Judo is excellent. I've heard the Quellmalz DVD is great too.

i am new to judo been practicing and competing for nearly a year now and i am thinking of buying a judo instructional dvd that covers all aspects of judo from nage waza to katame waza and shimewaza and would like help in picking the best one out there and would like to find out which ones have helped all you judokas out there the most? cheers:wink:
I think that Judo dvds fall into two categories the 'encyclopaedias' and the 'look what I can dos'.

Neither of which I think are really that helpful for beginners.

The 'encyclopaedias' like the Kodokan Nagewaza and Katamewaza dvd series, Swain's newaza and tachiwaza. Just run through a whole gammit of techniques with some explanation, but not really anything a beginner can use apart from for reference.

The 'look what I can dos' like the Inoue boxset, Quellmalz's, Koga's and Jeon's are all really entertaining and interesting to get an insight into what they went through, their view on Judo and see all their fancy tricks. Again as a beginner there's not an awful lot you can get out of that apart from entertainment.

Swain's Basic Judo is useful as are Adams' The Grappling series are some of the rare exceptions that fall outside of the 'encyclopaedias' and the 'look what I can dos'.

They might be worth getting your hands on.

The best coaches DVD for helping people learn and understand how to coach Judo is Mike Liptrot's Beginning Judo.

And if you ever want a DVD for pure entertainment: 101 Ippons. Sick ass throws and newaza.

Back