Joshua's Promoter: The Plan is Pulev, Then Ortiz, Then Wilder

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
IBF, WBA, IBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (19-0, 19 KOs) has a huge target on his back, and the other fighters in his weight class are all ready to take their shot.

Joshua was expected to have a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko in the fall. Those plans fell through when Klitschko announced his retirement from the sport on Thursday.

Following his Klitschko's retirement, the World Boxing Association ordered Joshua to face Luis Ortiz and the International Boxing Federation ordered him to fight Kubrat Pulev.

anthony-joshua_32.jpg

Even WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder has called for a showdown with Joshua on November 11 in Las Vegas.

Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn, has made it clear that Pulev is going to be their next opponent - and then they plan to make the mandatory against Ortiz.

He says they are more than willing to face Wilder in a unification, but that fight is likely going to have to be pushed back until next summer due to the situation with the multiple mandatory defense orders.

"Rather than fight anyone of note all Wilder does is call out people he knows can't fight him," Hearn exclusively told Sky Sports. "The IBF resolution following the Klitschko fight is a public document for everyone to see: 'after the rematch there will be no request for a unification considered by the IBF'.

"Obviously we now have to fight Pulev and Ortiz and it's going to be a tough balancing act. The Pulev mandatory was called some time ago and we already have signed correspondence that if it's not Klitschko then Pulev must be next. I would say right now the plan is Pulev, Ortiz then if Wilder still has a belt then AJ can relieve him of that next summer."

"AJ is 100 percent up for fighting Pulev, 100 per cent up for fighting Ortiz and 100 percent up for fighting Wilder and he wants to do it in a way to try and capture all belts. It's going to be difficult but let me tell you this young man fears no one."

How about just Ortiz then Wilder.

I was pretty excited about Pulev a few years back but he's been a let down.
He and Solis were exciting fellas awhile back and they've routinely underwhelmed the fans.

He and Solis were exciting fellas awhile back and they've routinely underwhelmed the fans.

That would be ideal ! Who is his mandatory ?

Ortiz for one belt, Pulev another.

That would be ideal ! Who is his mandatory ?

Not certain.

But, I just noticed that Tony Thompson beat Solis twice.
What a vital role Thompson plays in boxing: keeping the top of the division relatively clean of pretenders.... Solis, Price, T. Ibragimov, Chazz Witherspoon.

Not certain.

But, I just noticed that Tony Thompson beat Solis twice.
What a vital role Thompson plays in boxing: keeping the top of the division relatively clean of pretenders.... Solis, Price, T. Ibragimov, Chazz Witherspoon.
Tony is legit cool

Gotta respect a guy who faces his mandatory opponents though. Dropping legit belts in a weight class you won't ever leave is risky, especially for heavyweights. You are always just a couple of loses away from being an opponent everyone ducks instead of a meal ticket everyone wants.

This could make sense timing wise if they intend to do the Wilder fight at Wembley. Take Pulev October time, Ortiz around March then make the most of the better weather at the end of Summer and pack in 100,000 people.

Assuming AJ and Wilder stay undefeated, which they both should, then I think at that point we would be talking the biggest heavyweight fight probably since Lewis vs Vitali or Tyson vs Holyfield.

Ortiz vs Wilder. Winner gets AJ. Its the only thing that makes sense.

Edit: Apparently Wilder wants AJ November 11. Thats even better.

Ortiz vs Wilder. Winner gets AJ. Its the only thing that makes sense.

Edit: Apparently Wilder wants AJ November 11. Thats even better.

They made it clear they will defend vs their mandatories. Apparently Pulev has been waiting over a year?

Also it was the WBC or WBA who said they would NOT allow unification before the Mandatory. Pulev is the IBF mandatory

This could make sense timing wise if they intend to do the Wilder fight at Wembley. Take Pulev October time, Ortiz around March then make the most of the better weather at the end of Summer and pack in 100,000 people.

Assuming AJ and Wilder stay undefeated, which they both should, then I think at that point we would be talking the biggest heavyweight fight probably since Lewis vs Vitali or Tyson vs Holyfield.

That all sounds good to me, but I don't think a unification fight would be that big if AJ fights Ortiz and pulev first! Just how much credibility as a champion would wilder have at that point if Joshua is the only guy fighting tough competition. And he'd have been stripped of one of the belts

The ideal situation is wilder and Joshua fighting these 2 guys next so they can keep hold of the 3 belts and doing the unification early next year.

They made it clear they will defend vs their mandatories. Apparently Pulev has been waiting over a year?

Also it was the WBC or WBA who said they would NOT allow unification before the Mandatory. Pulev is the IBF mandatory
Fine with either situation tbh. Just get some fights signed.

Little taken back that people are upset that Wilders willing to fight him in November. Same crowd that cries he isnt fighting anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back