Rumored Joshua vs Zhang

Wlad and Povetkin were older but the former was a big step up for AJ from the Martins, Breazeales, and Molinas of the world. Why were they still dangerous? Because both are heavy hitters and power is usually the last thing to go. It showed in their fight too because Wlad dropped AJ and had him in big trouble. Povetkin buzzed AJ early in their fight as well. I've never been impressed by Whyte either but that isn't the point. The guy already had a win over AJ in the amateurs. For all AJ's management knew he could've just had his number. Hence the risk of rematching whether it's in the amateurs or pro ranks.

As for Anderson knocking him out, his handlers won't put him in there with AJ anytime soon. For all of AJ's flaws he's an absolute beast compared to a guy like Martin. Anderson would be wise to take his time as he still has to develop more.
I think Anderson just underestimated Martin. Thought he'd put on a show and walk through him like he'd done everyone else at that point, and ended up learning a lesson against a veteran. That fight should make him better in the long run. Getting a shot at someone like AJ, he'd show up with a different mindset, prepared for the fight of his life. They'll take their baby steps, but I think he's ready.

If it can't be Wilder or Fury, short list of fighters that would interest me for AJ:

Sanchez
Zhang
Makhmudov
Anderson
Hrgovic
Ajagba - would be good preparation for Wilder.

All scary fights with how AJ's been lately. I'd give him credit for taking any one of these. Same for Wilder and Fury, Ajagba aside.

I think Anderson just underestimated Martin. Thought he'd put on a show and walk through him like he'd done everyone else at that point, and ended up learning a lesson against a veteran. That fight should make him better in the long run. Getting a shot at someone like AJ, he'd show up with a different mindset, prepared for the fight of his life. They'll take their baby steps, but I think he's ready.

If it can't be Wilder or Fury, short list of fighters that would interest me for AJ:

Sanchez
Zhang
Makhmudov
Anderson
Hrgovic
Ajagba - would be good preparation for Wilder.

All scary fights with how AJ's been lately. I'd give him credit for taking any one of these. Same for Wilder and Fury, Ajagba aside.
I don't think Anderson is ready for AJ. Maybe by late next year if he keeps progressing. AJ can't fight Fury next because his next two fights are already lined up (Ngannou and then Usyk). He was in negotiations with Team Wilder but that fell through. Usually when that happens they go their separate ways for a short while and then revisit it again. Pick up where they left off. Zhang would be the next best option so we'll see if it's made next.

I mean its a great fight but a bad business move for an A side fighter. Quite possibly the worst career decision AJ and his team could make right now without seeing how Usyk/Fury plays out. If Fury wins out in the match and a rematch he isn't going to give a shit about mandatories. The last big fight for him would be Joshua. AJ could fight pretty much anyone and wait for the Fury fight in the UK.

Fighting Zhang doesn't help him in the least (he doesn't need the WBO interim title for anything) and I'd favor Zhang somewhat. high risk low reward.

If Joshua loses he will still be able to fight Fury. If anything Fury will more likely accept it because he'll think he'll win.

Joshua's drawing power isn't going anywhere any time soon. Every boxer will still want to fight him.

AJ's resume doesn't amount to much since he hasn't fought the only two guys everyone wants to see him fight, Wilder and Fury. They're not taking those tough, 50/50 risks with AJ. He wasn't supposed to lose to Ruiz, and he wasn't supposed to lose to Usyk either, at least not the first time. Those were upsets.

As for my comment, it's more of a 'what has he done lately' kind of thing. Following Usyk, he's taken two tune-up fights. That's fine, but he looked subpar in both. His stock is low now to the point where Zhang is a risky fight. If i'm right about AJ having risk-averse management, his next opponent won't be Wilder, Fury, Zhang, or any one of those dangerous up and comer types (Hrgovic, Jared Anderson, etc.) It'll be some other matchup that no one asked for.

We'll see.

how can he fight those 2 when they won’t fight him. Wilder took fury instead of Joshua. Turned down an undisputed title fight and more money to fight what he thought was a washed up fighter. That’s not taking a risk

Furys bluff last year backfired when Joshua accepted his terms. Both of these fights can easily be made if either fighter wants the fight. Wilders virtually semi retired anyway. He’s had 4 fights in the last 4 years.

AJ's resume doesn't amount to much since he hasn't fought the only two guys everyone wants to see him fight, Wilder and Fury. They're not taking those tough, 50/50 risks with AJ. He wasn't supposed to lose to Ruiz, and he wasn't supposed to lose to Usyk either, at least not the first time. Those were upsets.

As for my comment, it's more of a 'what has he done lately' kind of thing. Following Usyk, he's taken two tune-up fights. That's fine, but he looked subpar in both. His stock is low now to the point where Zhang is a risky fight. If i'm right about AJ having risk-averse management, his next opponent won't be Wilder, Fury, Zhang, or any one of those dangerous up and comer types (Hrgovic, Jared Anderson, etc.) It'll be some other matchup that no one asked for.

We'll see.
wilder turned down a 100M contract to fight joshua twice, 40M for each fight, and 20M for the breazeale fight. he turned that shit down, and took the breazeale fight for 12M instead. he said he was "betting on himself", whatever the fuck that meant.

fury fucked up the AJ fight on like 3 separate occasions, each time with a more ridiculous reasoning. his refusal to fight AJ was one of the more blatant ones in boxing.

and i know you didn't mention him, but luis ortiz also refused to fight AJ for 8M (i think), when his previous career high purse was something like 1M. he said he was being lowballed with the money.

people have legitimately been refusing to fight joshua for ages, and he's still managed to put together the best resume of any current heavyweight. you may criticize him for his robotic style, his bodybuilder physique, his less than stellar chin, his ridiculous post fight speeches... but one thing you cannot accuse this man of doing is avoiding big fights. he wants all the smoke.

wilder turned down a 100M contract to fight joshua twice, 40M for each fight, and 20M for the breazeale fight. he turned that shit down, and took the breazeale fight for 12M instead. he said he was "betting on himself", whatever the fuck that meant.

fury fucked up the AJ fight on like 3 separate occasions, each time with a more ridiculous reasoning. his refusal to fight AJ was one of the more blatant ones in boxing.

and i know you didn't mention him, but luis ortiz also refused to fight AJ for 8M (i think), when his previous career high purse was something like 1M. he said he was being lowballed with the money.

people have legitimately been refusing to fight joshua for ages, and he's still managed to put together the best resume of any current heavyweight. you may criticize him for his robotic style, his bodybuilder physique, his less than stellar chin, his ridiculous post fight speeches... but one thing you cannot accuse this man of doing is avoiding big fights. he wants all the smoke.
I've heard these stories ad nauseam for years, and I don't buy it. It implies these guys are ducking AJ or purposefully pricing themselves out of fighting him, which makes no sense. AJ's the biggest star in the division, you figure they'd be tripping over themselves to do business with him, and yet talks always fall through. Not even like it's one fighter who can't get him in the ring, it's multiple.

Wilder in particular seems ready to cash out. He's only interested in money fights going forward. His camp talks shit about AJ all the time -- how they're not serious and they don't want the smoke. They give off a genuine vibe that they're tired of wasting their time... Then on AJ's side, crickets. They don't match that energy at all. I get that part of it is because he's the A-side, but we've reached a point where most agree that Wilder makes short work of AJ. You think that would push them to at least campaign for Wilder, but they seem content in taking mediocre fights since AJ will generate money regardless.

Reactions: Ruv
I've heard these stories ad nauseam for years, and I don't buy it. It implies these guys are ducking AJ or purposefully pricing themselves out of fighting him, which makes no sense. AJ's the biggest star in the division, you figure they'd be tripping over themselves to do business with him, and yet talks always fall through. Not even like it's one fighter who can't get him in the ring, it's multiple.

Wilder in particular seems ready to cash out. He's only interested in money fights going forward. His camp talks shit about AJ all the time -- how they're not serious and they don't want the smoke. They give off a genuine vibe that they're tired of wasting their time... Then on AJ's side, crickets. They don't match that energy at all. I get that part of it is because he's the A-side, but we've reached a point where most agree that Wilder makes short work of AJ. You think that would push them to at least campaign for Wilder, but they seem content in taking mediocre fights since AJ will generate money regardless.

how do you not believe it when they're literally saying this themselves? it's not something i pulled out of my ass, it's what wilder himself stated.

sauce.

more sauce, in case you don't trust the first one.

and the luis ortiz one, lol. offered 5M, wanted 10. had made 1M for previous highest payout.

how do you not believe it when they're literally saying this themselves? it's not something i pulled out of my ass, it's what wilder himself stated.

sauce.

more sauce, in case you don't trust the first one.

and the luis ortiz one, lol. offered 5M, wanted 10. had made 1M for previous highest payout.
And that's no ordinary sauce. That's the special sauce!

what has wilder ever done to try and make the Joshua fight! He’s done nothing other than fight other fighters for far less money instead. His only really decent win is an old Ortiz, who’s got an even more padded record than wilder himself. He turned down an undisputed fight to fight a guy back from a 2 year booze and coke bender, who was 30 stone just a year prior. They’ve never been interested in fighting all comers and that’s apparent from his record, it’s 90% cans.

Wilder actually admitted he took the Fury fight for less money, it’s not a debate anymore.

Fury pulled out of a Saudi fight after throwing up multiple roadblocks that team AJ managed to navigate, its well documented.

Ortiz actually fucked up 2 AJ fights, pisses hot and got himself removed from the rankings then got caught lying about being lowballed, his very own promoter even admitted that.

It’s not just peeps making shit up online, it’s actual evidence that can be used.

Would need to ask those 3 guys that AJ is apparently scared shitless to speak their names why they couldn’t find a pen.

I agree it is genuinely puzzling why 3 guys who we’ve been told would molly whop AJ wouldn’t do it.

This clown will duck Wilder for the rest of his career..

I hope it happens.
There are a handful of outliers in HW who are risky but not well known in English speaking countries.

AJ would prove his mettle by sweeping up around the outside whilst awaiting the few remaining names.

AJ will never rematch or beat USYK.
No discussion.

He could attempt Fury or Wilder though, to see out his own legacy.

Fury and Usyk is for a sure fire cemented top dog. Wilder and AJ are 3 and 4 of this era. But who is where?

Reactions: Ruv
with wilder off, hearn started stuttering when the interviewer suggested zhang as a tick over fight lol

Last edited:
hearn suggests hrgovic, wallin or kabayel for joshua nxt

expect joshua vs kabayel lol

with wilder off, hearn started stuttering when the interviewer suggested zhang as a tick over fight lol
Why is the Wilder fight off? I didnt hear about why.

Zhang can actually KO AJ if he lands a bomb. Very risky fight for AJ. AJ doesn't take risky fights at all.

Reactions: HHJ
Honestly this is silly fight for AJ, yet I hope it happens if Wilder doesn't want the fight.

Back