Josh Thomson says all Bellator WW Grand Prix fights are 5 rounds

Dozer .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

He also says that the Rory’s WW belt will be defended throughout the tournament, which is why every bout will be 5 rounds.

Matches he thinks will happen are:
MVP vs Daley
Larkin vs Ruth
Fitch vs Neiman

Rory’s title defended through all rounds of the tournament? I don’t get why Rory is in the tournament to begin with. The winner of th Grand Prix should be fighting Rory for the title. In the mean time, Rory can take another MW fight depending on how much damage he takes in the Moussasi fight.

Rory’s title defended through all rounds of the tournament? I don’t get why Rory is in the tournament to begin with. The winner of th Grand Prix should be fighting Rory for the title. In the mean time, Rory can take another MW fight depending on how much damage he takes in the Moussasi fight.

Nah I actually like it this way. He can still defend his belt and add title defenses assuming he wins plus he can go for a tournament win. Pretty smart and cool tbh. I don't think Rory will be super successful at MW but at WW he's a killer.

Does anyone know if Thomson retired? I know he had an injury but haven't heard about anything after. He was suppose to fight Chandler.

Does anyone know if Thomson retired? I know he had an injury but haven't heard about anything after. He was suppose to fight Chandler.
Not officially. I’m sure he is in that semi retired, take one fight a year state.

I have no problem with the title being defended throughout the tourney. As stated above, itll allow him to get title fights, and defenses in. You know Bellator would catch shit if they had rory sit out and smash journeymen mw while his division holds a tourney. Rory had also voiced dissatisfaction about being inactive. This will keep him active and keep him defending. This will also allow for 5 round main events

Kill 3 birds with one stone.

I'm not sure how I feel about Rory's belt being on the line in every match he is in. Which I guess is why I'm wondering why Rory is in this to begin with.

So what does the winner really get in the end besides Grand Prix Winner? Maybe a belt unless that person is injured and doesn't finish the tournament.

I don't think its unreasonable to think most of these match ups probably would've happen over the next year or so anyways. Who else is the best WW's in Bellator suppose to fight besides each other?

We have enough events now that I'm not sure a straight forward tournament really accomplishes much. Now doing a mix WW/MW tournament or whatever adds some very interesting match ups that your not going to get over the next year or so and I think would draw much more interest from fans.

damn thats an outstanding bracket so far. I hope they match them up like that.

I kinda like that idea.

I doubt Rory wanted to sit around waiting for the winner. And if he wins, he wins the tourny and defends his belt a few times.

Makes sense to me.

Not officially. I’m sure he is in that semi retired, take one fight a year state.

He should retire if he hasn't. He's 39 at LW. That's like being 50 at HW. Just a small decrease in speed/reflexes really hurts you in the lighter weight classes. Plus he's had a ton of injuries. No reason to ruin his legacy and record. Prime Thomson would be a great challenge for Chandler but not the current one.

this is a legit tournament

They should set it up in such a fashion that the WW tournament ends before the HW version. Screw this eight week training camp nonsense. Just fight.

Meh.
I was hoping hed say the gran prix would be done within 5 months. Or 5 weeks. That would be like, a tournament or something.

Rory vs Larkin
MVP vs Daley
Koreshkov vs Lima III
Fitch vs Gracie
Ruth vs Amasov

I believe all are confirmed except Rory vs Larkin, but they’re the only two left that were announced for the tournament. I’m guessing that the Fitch/Gracie and Ruth/Amasov fights will be 3 rounds, as they are basically qualifiers into the quarterfinals.

Personally instead of this 10-man bracket I would have gone with 7 and given Rory a first round bye while he fights Mousasi.

Rory [BYE]
Fitch vs Larkin
MVP vs Daley
Koreshkov vs Lima III
(Ruth, Amasov and Gracie in alternate bouts)

Back