Josh "Punk" Thompson on building stars

License to Kill
@Silver
Reaction score
I was listening to some podcast and he brought up a good point. Josh said Bellator can build stars easier then UFC because Bellator's fighters are fighting more often therefore building names/brand for fans to cheer for more often. I agree with him. I think we get done with a UFC and 5-6 days later there is another one coming up and gives us no time to let it sink in.

Thoughts? Sorry I don't have the audio to podcast

Not really.

What stars have Bellator built that any non-hardcores will know?

The only one that comes close will be MVP and that's only because him making craters in someone's skull was going round Facebook. Even then, probably wouldn't know his name.

Maybe but that assumes people are watching Bellator consistently

Literally none of that is true.

BTW, TS, let me just identify the obvious contradiction here. You're saying that Bellator fighters fight more often... Then you go on to say that their fighters make more of an impact because there are fewer events...

PS. They don't fight more often, so this is all moot.

yeah except they don't fight more often. it's pretty rare for their bigger signees to fight more than 1.5/yr average.

Literally none of that is true.

BTW, TS, let me just identify the obvious contradiction here. You're saying that Bellator fighters fight more often... Then you go on to say that their fighters make more of an impact because there are fewer events...

PS. They don't fight more often, so this is all moot.

This
Fighters biggest complaint about Bellator is lack of fights offered

Not to make light of his injury history, but Josh really wouldn't know about fighting often.

I would ask Josh to name me 1 home grown superstar Bellator has ever made. Has Bellator even made a homegrown talent popular enough to be a free TV ratings draw? I do like this conversation because it brings up an interesting question. Who is the most popular homegrown Bellator fighter ever?

I would ask Josh to name me 1 home grown superstar Bellator has ever made. Has Bellator even made a homegrown talent popular enough to be a free TV ratings draw? I do like this conversation because it brings up an interesting question. Who is the most popular homegrown Bellator fighter ever?

All their ratings draws were Kimbo & ex-UFC guys

I was listening to some podcast and he brought up a good point. Josh said Bellator can build stars easier then UFC because Bellator's fighters are fighting more often therefore building names/brand for fans to cheer for more often. I agree with him. I think we get done with a UFC and 5-6 days later there is another one coming up and gives us no time to let it sink in.

Then why are Bellator fighters constantly complaining about NOT getting enough fights? Rory and Pitbull are the latest.

Bellator is drawing numbers off the backs of premade UFC stars.

I agree that the UFC sucks at building stars but let’s be real.

Bellator isn't close to the UFC.

Im confused, He just said bellator fighters fight more giving them more exposure. you say cards come to often. Which is it?

Bellator has made zero stars. none, zilch.

that's why they have to sign ufc castoffs to pull numbers but even that has stopped working.

Eddie Alvarez benefitted greatly from Bellator?

Im confused, He just said bellator fighters fight more giving them more exposure. you say cards come to often. Which is it?
cards come every week with many fighters we have not heard of. A fighter may have a great fight then is forgotten about for sometimes a year to what Thompson claims Bellator has guys fighting 2-3 times a year giving fans chance to no a fighter

But yet they have built no stars in years.......and most guys are lucky to get 2 fights a year........

Then why are Bellator fighters constantly complaining about NOT getting enough fights? Rory and Pitbull are the latest.
I don't think they cards are put together well and there roster is not deep

Breaking news: Bellator fighter who got booted from the UFC following three losses in a row thinks that Bellator is better at building stars than the UFC.

!!!!

But yet they have built no stars in years.......and most guys are lucky to get 2 fights a year........
Chandler, Pitbull brothers, maybe Pico come to mind but I don't think any org in mma can build a star. They are built naturally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back