Josh Emmett vs. Max Holloway Should Be Next

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
With Sterling now being booked against Kattar and Chikadze being injured that limits Maxs options even more. Since Emmett took no damage against Mitchell a fight against Holloway in April/March would make perfect sense. A heavy hitter vs. a technical striker, hopefully it could be on 300.

Yeah it's solid matchmaking. Max has expressed wanting to fight Gaethje, as well Poirier or Oliveira again. If no big names like that come to fruition then I don't see any other immediate options for Max at 145. Definitely 300-worthy whether it's closing out the prelims or opening the maincard.

I’m going to copy my response from another thread.

While that was a beautiful KO and my personal KotY, Josh Emmett needs to retire.
He was talking about it prior to the Ilia fight and hinted at this prior fight being his last.
Now he scores a big win against a last minute replacement and thinks he’s still got it, this is a trap we’ve seen older fighters fall into constantly. Now he’s calling out Max Holloway, someone who will put a hurting on him worse than his last opponents. Think about the mismatch here, you have a guy who is one foot out the door vs a guy who is arguably the #2 in the division and a buzzsaw for damage.

The writing on the wall is there, this would be a bad move.

Retire Josh, ride off into the sunset on that beautiful KO. Most guys don’t get that kind of send off.

In his last five Max beat Kattar, Yair, Allen and Zombie. His single loss is a decision to Volk.

Josh eeked out a split decision over Kattar, got murdered by Yair and beaten senseless by Topuria, now bounced back with a big win over Bryce the never has been Mitchell.

I fail to see how Josh deserves the #1 guy in the division. If we're going to just do 'fun why not' match making with Max, I think there are better options.

I’m going to copy my response from another thread.

While that was a beautiful KO and my personal KotY, Josh Emmett needs to retire.
He was talking about it prior to the Ilia fight and hinted at this prior fight being his last.
Now he scores a big win against a last minute replacement and thinks he’s still got it, this is a trap we’ve seen older fighters fall into constantly. Now he’s calling out Max Holloway, someone who will put a hurting on him worse than his last opponents. Think about the mismatch here, you have a guy who is one foot out the door vs a guy who is arguably the #2 in the division and a buzzsaw for damage.

The writing on the wall is there, this would be a bad move.

Retire Josh, ride off into the sunset on that beautiful KO. Most guys don’t get that kind of send off.
this is it here. don't goad emmett into thinking things are going well for him just because of one KO - over a late replacement and a good matchup, no less.

Max took a bunch of unnecessary shots from KZ who's got some solid KO power too so a fight against Emmett isn't as outrageous as I'd think before the KZ fight but with that being said if Holloway shows up like he did against Allen it and not relying on his chin for defence it should be pretty easy work.

Holloway can be his own worst enemy at times and Volk fights 1 and 2 are perfect examples of both sides of Holloway. When Holloway is using his footwork, kicks and clinch to be a buzz saw he's phenomenal like in his fights with Kattar, Volk (2) and Ortega but when he sort of plods forward with a jab and chin like he did against Yair, Volk (1), KZ and Edgar he becomes very beatable IMO which against a heavy hitters like Emmett could lead to a huge upset but still unlikely.

I'm still picking Holloway by sub and see this looking like the Swanson fight where Emmett has little answers but I think a upset is a big possibility if Max shows up with his chin as his defence instead of all of his high level skills.

lets do it. I like the idea of a dog wanting his bones. lets go

While Max is slick, he is also shockingly hittable in some matchups. Emmett is, at times, a notorious low-volume headhunter, but if he can uncork his jab like in the Ige and Kattar fights, maybe this one is fun? Is there a fun fight here? One between the two extremes of Emmett getting added to Max's crown of souls and Emmett sending Max to Timbuktu?

this is it here. don't goad emmett into thinking things are going well for him just because of one KO - over a late replacement and a good matchup, no less.
I think the newfound vulnerability Max showed against TKZ makes this a more interesting matchup. Max is very hittable, and against the heaviest puncher ever seen at the weight class anything can happen.

Actually a good match up for Emmett. Max has t-Rex arms and no power, it’ll be like his fight with Poirier as much as I don’t want it to be that way

Anything is possible but in all likelihood Emmett would get the piss beat out of him for either a full 5 rds (if it's a main event) or for however long the fight lasts.

Not sure who to pair Max with elsehow. Either rematches, "fun" fights that would be meaningless for his divisional momentum, or someone lower than Josh

With Sterling now being booked against Kattar and Chikadze being injured that limits Maxs options even more. Since Emmett took no damage against Mitchell a fight against Holloway in April/March would make perfect sense. A heavy hitter vs. a technical striker, hopefully it could be on 300.

Josh Emmett is nothing special and he's quite old. Him flatlining Bryce shouldn't sway people's opinions much. This is a guy who went tooth and nail with Ige and Burgos who are fringe top 10 level guys at best and got beaten by Yair and Topuria recently. Also Kattar was robbed against Emmett as it is.

It makes sense and I would definitely stream it. Emmet has just the punchers and will take a severe beating. But fans of both.

I think the newfound vulnerability Max showed against TKZ makes this a more interesting matchup. Max is very hittable, and against the heaviest puncher ever seen at the weight class anything can happen.
If theres a fight at this weight class where Max's chin could crack, it's here. Punchers chance for Emmett but a fun fight, I see nothing wrong and Max isn't doing anything much better at the moment.

Back