• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Media Jones boxing sparring partner: "Jones was afraid of Ngannou but sleeps calmly at night......."

lol what sane person wouldn’t?

I've shared this story multiple times here on sherdog, but for as amazing as Jon is as a fighter, he is actually quite insecure of himself. Thus why he studies and studies and overstudies at times. That whole thing about him partying hard the week before a fight as a fail safe excuse in his mind for when he loses is the most honest thing I've heard him say really.

I briefly dated one of his college girlfriends right around the time or shortly after the first Gus fight. She said he's always been a nerdy, always unsure of himself going back to his college years. He'd smoke weed before his wrestling matches to chill out cause he gets so anxious. She said before the first Gus fight, he texted her, "I'm about to get my ass beat by a viking."

Somewhere in his mind, he has to defeat his opponent before he gets in that octagon or he struggles. It's all mental for Jon. Whether or not if we think he can beat his opponent, if he doesn't feel like he can, it could spell trouble. So if he saw something in Francis that made him worry, I can understand this dude's statement.
If true, one of the most interesting posts I’ve read on the dog in many months if not years. I still believe that he has an insane mental fortitude and that’s what made him win difficult wars like Gus 1 and Reyes. But interesting that a monster like Jones had that kind of inner demons to battle as well.
Rumble > Ngannou

May good ole Rumble RIP but you are a FOOL.

That's perfect Jones keep underestimating Gane, your defeat will be even better

That was only if he signed back to UFC. You forgot the part that Ngannou wanted to be able to box as well, which wasn't part of the contract UFC was offering. Ngannou can make more than 8 million now, he just has to pick which boxing fight to take. He's just waiting to see what Fury decides to do with the Usyk timeline, but the Wilder offer is there as well.

I left out other things he asked for as well because I didn't want to turn this into a Ngannou thread...

I've shared this story multiple times here on sherdog, but for as amazing as Jon is as a fighter, he is actually quite insecure of himself. Thus why he studies and studies and overstudies at times. That whole thing about him partying hard the week before a fight as a fail safe excuse in his mind for when he loses is the most honest thing I've heard him say really.

I briefly dated one of his college girlfriends right around the time or shortly after the first Gus fight. She said he's always been a nerdy, always unsure of himself going back to his college years. He'd smoke weed before his wrestling matches to chill out cause he gets so anxious. She said before the first Gus fight, he texted her, "I'm about to get my ass beat by a viking."

Somewhere in his mind, he has to defeat his opponent before he gets in that octagon or he struggles. It's all mental for Jon. Whether or not if we think he can beat his opponent, if he doesn't feel like he can, it could spell trouble. So if he saw something in Francis that made him worry, I can understand this dude's statement.

Arslovki: "how taste Jones pee pee?"

You have take it into consideration, how washed up Gus may have been, thus 'arguably' since popping for PED.
Even if Gus was washed up, how’s that a bad performance? Jones dominated that fight.

He caught him, yes. But Rumble is not even remotely close to what Ngannou is.
Don't agree at all
I would definitely put rumble above Francis despite winning never winning the belt
Francis would have drown worse than rumble against prime DC
Rumble had the same freaky touch of death despite not having all the mass Francis has

I can’t stand Jones, but being afraid of N’Gannou seems like a very rational thing.
Yeah and Jones signed a contract, it was Francis that chose not to take the fight. I believe Jones even said himself he was afraid of Francis's power...but I don't think he ever said that was any cause not to want to fight him.

I think prime Rumble was close to Ngannou.

Somewhat but way shorter and far less reach.

I.e. easier to avoid

Ngannou size would make it tougher for even prime PED using Jones to stand with him. Jones is very hittable vs guys close to his height.

Imagine u give Gus ... rumbles power. Now u get a better idea of the danger Ngannou brings. Reach, size and power combined.

I agree with the Russian boxer, because Jones said it himself, if you fight a guy like Francis, "You have to get real comfortable with the notion that you might get knocked out." Gane has power too, but from one shot KO power guys like Francis and Rumble are the scariest of the scariest and are on another level.

yes, good point. anyone who he thinks has one-punch knockout power, is incredibly scary for him. also, anyone who is his same size is scary for him as well. reyes already beat him on points, even though he was gifted the decision. i don't see him as an undefeated fighter, anyway. he moved to heavyweight, because he knew he was going to lose soon at lhw, due to becoming slower with age. the top guys at lhw beat him there. he's moving to hw where the fighters are slower.

You don’t say? The guy that started screaming “pay me” the second he saw Francis developed a sprawl was afraid of Francis? Shocking.

Well yea, Ngannou would have killed Jones. Gane is a cakewalk in comparison.

You don’t say? The guy that started screaming “pay me” the second he saw Francis developed a sprawl was afraid of Francis? Shocking.

Kinda weird
Francis said, pay me too.

But 8 million (most of a HW fighter ever) wasnt enough...

Francis, walked away.

He just, walked away.....

Strange.

<Neil01>

So Jones confided in a random Russian sparring partner that he was "afraid" of Francis...

Presumably the same way Jones was "afraid" of- Rashad, Shogun, Machida, Gustaffson, DC, Rumble, Rampage and Sonnen.

I guess Francis was, more "afraid" walking away from 8 million.
He doesn’t use word afraid in interview. He says “опасаться” which probably closer in meaning to being concerned. Like in contrast he was concerned about Francis and about Gane he doesn’t give a damn, sleeps calmly at night and doesn’t see him as a threat.

I think Jones felt similarly about Rumble and was lucky he never had to face him.

Yeah I felt Jones UFC mandated absences for misbehaviour were a little convenient that they meant he missed fighting Rumble twice.

Basically it was an easy choice, good PR for the UFC and Jones avoids fighting someone dangerous.

he said he was also scared of rampage lol

"Jon is never moving up to heavyweight, he is scared."
Jon announces he's going to heavyweight.
"Jon is never fighting again. He is retried. He's just saying he's going to heavyweight to stay relevant."
Jon starts getting fight offers for HW fight. Rumors of Stipe, Gane, and Francis.
"Jon isn't taking those fights. he's scared and retired"
Jon signs fight with Gane after Francis refuses to resign with UFC.
"Jon is too scared to fight Francis so he waited for Francis to leave"

He's never moving up, he's scared, and he's retired. Got it.

Anybody have the odds for Gane by submission?

<BC1>

Kinda weird
Francis said, pay me too.

But 8 million (most of a HW fighter ever) wasnt enough...

Francis, walked away.

He just, walked away.....

Strange.

<Neil01>

when you’re negotiating fights with Tyson Fury, no 8 million is not enough to stay in the broke leagues lol

Back