Joe Bourbon’s Basement Pub – A Sanctuary for All Lifters

Well I'm alive, so that's always a dub. What's up with you, NK?

Knee Sleeves...

I'm getting back into lifting, training my 5'11" 13 year old son. I've found some of my old equipment, and trying to sort out what I want to splurge on. I'm having him run Starting STrength first, just to build a foundation and get used to the barbell lifts. I'm doing the same program with him and all the squatting, even at the low weights is already making these old knees creak. I'm looking at getting some knee sleeves. Back in the day the Rehband Blues were the gold standard. Is that still the case today? Have they been replaced by something like the SBDs or STrongs?

https://barbend.com/choose-perfect-knee-sleeve/

This is a pretty good article on sleeves. No need to go crazy. If you have an old pair of the Rehbands that are in decent shape, they'll be fine. I would go with one of the 5mm types, they are more versatile than the 7mm ones, which are geared more towards powerlifters.

My boy is 10. He used to try to lift my small barbells but hasn't had any interest in that for awhile. He does some wrestling with me sometimes though. We were pummeling for under hooks today after church in line for food at the potluck. Lol.

Well I'm alive, so that's always a dub. What's up with you, NK?
Things are good.
Was a challenging end of my summer, but I'm back in the gym.
I think about you guys here. And what you're all up to.

Wow, this place is deserted. I hope everybody had peaceful holidays and is looking forward to the new year. I got voted " 2nd team player of the year" in my new rugby team, let's see if I can make it to the first team in 2024. Currently running the russian squat routine and loving life. Hugs and kisses.

Wow, this place is deserted. I hope everybody had peaceful holidays and is looking forward to the new year. I got voted " 2nd team player of the year" in my new rugby team, let's see if I can make it to the first team in 2024. Currently running the russian squat routine and loving life. Hugs and kisses.
Good to see you posting! Have you gave any consideration of starting logging again?

Happy new year to you.

Good to see you posting! Have you gave any consideration of starting logging again?

Happy new year to you.
Yeah, I might log here again once I start my own programming (cue Ralph Wiggum danger-meme here) in a few weeks!

Are you guys using lever or prong belts? I've been using an Inzer single prong for over ten years, but with the extra-holes I had to have punched due to becoming less fat it's quite annoying to put on. Today I received a cheap-ish lever belt and will try it out later. Having to change the lever around mid-workout doesn't seem terrible, I have a Swiss Army Knife in my gym bag anyway...

I have used a single prong inzer for about 10 years.

I do own a lever belt, but find that it pinches my flab if I’m not careful. I never bothered to break it in, so I keep using the old inzer belt.

Are you guys using lever or prong belts? I've been using an Inzer single prong for over ten years, but with the extra-holes I had to have punched due to becoming less fat it's quite annoying to put on. Today I received a cheap-ish lever belt and will try it out later. Having to change the lever around mid-workout doesn't seem terrible, I have a Swiss Army Knife in my gym bag anyway...

I have had a double-prong Inzer belt for about 11 or 12 years now. Lever belts are great, but I've always had good use from my belt, and it shows no signs of needing replaced in the next decade or so.

Not that I need it much at the moment for the kettlebells I have in my garage lol.

I've had my Zuluglove dominator belt for 10 years, it's single prong, but with an oversized handle making it easier to get on & off. I've not got any experience with any other belts but this one has served my needs just fine.

I've got a SBD lever belt, cant imagine using any other belt

SBD lever is the only way to go for me, my weight/bloat fluctuates quite a bit, and I am at 3 different hole spacings for the 3 powerlifts.

So the SBD simply is that good?

So the SBD simply is that good?
It's super easy to make adjustments on the fly, I hated having to break out the screw driver on SBD days or if I was super bloat (which happens a ton with me). It's a one time purchase so the absurd price isn't that bad if you're in it for the long haul and are using it multiple times a week. I suggest the belt to anyone that lifts 3x a week or more and have different hole spacings for 2 or more lifts done while in the belt.

I'm taking care of my nutrition right now.

Energy bars, protein shakes, meat, eggs, cheese, spinach and blueberries.

Why spinach and blueberries specifically you ask? Because of the fiber and antioxidants. We all gotta pay attention to our health bro. Especially for dudes like me who want to have a long life as a masters powerlifter.

No more sugar outside of the 500-calorie energy bars and the blueberries that I eat daily. I think I'm gonna live a little longer if only for that...

Cardio is already present because I'm a janitor who speedwalks a lot for the entire shift. Unlike my lazy co-janitors. lol

Good for you. Consider opening up the foods you include in your diet though, usually makes it much easier to stick to eating well.
Unless you're cutting that is, then eating the same things over and over again is a smart choice.

Back