Jiu Jitsu is illegal in Canada?

How can it be 'prizefighting' if noone is winning any prizes?

8560857771_4f75625e3b_n.jpg

Last edited:
Some places need specific permit if they host event with strikes.

The funny story is that in nz someone could mma fight because it was considered a martial art but needs a license for a boxing event.

Bureaucrats and politics I guess

Some places need specific permit if they host event with strikes.

The funny story is that in nz someone could mma fight because it was considered a martial art but needs a license for a boxing event.

Bureaucrats and politics I guess
Right, but this was a pure grappling event.

There are some weird laws up here, in regards to prize fighting.

I remember some promotion getting into the same type of shit with the government, and they tried to work around a loophole, and put the event on at a Native Reserve.

Lol damn, I guess it will be good if you live in Toronto, you can just go to Detroit for competitions

"According to the Criminal Code, all amateur combat sports not sanctioned by the Olympics or specifically designated by the provinces are considered “prizefighting” and illegal"

Not just bjj but this includes kickboxing, muay thai, mma

Only Judo and tae kwon do are allowed, everything else is illegal. Unless they can get into the olympics.

That's only in Montreal. It's perfectly fine in the next city over.

Just call it newaza only judo to get around the law.

<Goldie11>

But it must involve strikes to be illegal. So it was a mistake by the police.

Right, but this was a pure grappling event.

Not everyone knows that.

Every time a ufc walks in the cage, Joe announces that he or she is a blue belt in Bjj and everyone thing it involves striking.

Lame.

Politics really screw everything. Over here (Ont), its a nightmare trying to set up and get pro MMA fights.

It might be the whole 'cash and prizes' part that's fucking guys over here, which sucks.

Personally, I think the fact that authorities have been turning a blind eye towards fighting sports for years, but zeroed in on this one, is suspicious. I'd bet that some salty rival promoter or disgruntled insider got mad and decided to fuck everyone over.

But yeah, if you want to get around this stuff, just hold the event at the nearest reserve and pay off the local chief. Government don't fuck with the redman.

Montreal has some fairly corrupt politics. I've never heard of anywhere else in Canada where any sort of grappling needs a special license. In the west you can find a grappling tournament just about every weekend.

Amateur boxing and MMA don't need a commission either; Saskatchewan had regular amateur MMA before they got their commission about a year ago. Professional boxing and MMA need a commission though.

Basically, the rules in Canada (except for Montreal it appears) is that amateur grappling and striking is okay, but if people are making money from it then you need a commission.

Except for fighting in hockey of course - no commission needed for that, even though there are probably more head blows in a typical hockey fight than in most MMA fights (not completely serious, but guys have been KO'd in hockey fights).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back