Jiu-Jitsu and back pain

Cachorrino

White Belt
Reaction score
I know I should go to see a doctor and I will but he's got no appointments anymore for this year! So I'm asking here 'cause maybe someone has experiences with this and can give me some advice what the problem is/what I can do. So I'm training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (since 8 month) and all of my training partners are at least 45lbs heavier than me, some even more. Especially when someone has me in side control it feels like my spine is kinda squeezed and when I escape sometimes it even feels like it's twisting. Takedowns and bridging hurts as well. At first I didn't make such a big deal out of it 'cause pain is a part of the sport but now the pain get's stronger and lasts for several days. The pain is basically located at the middle of the back and radiating to in between the shoulderblades.

I know I should go to see a doctor and I will but he's got no appointments anymore for this year! So I'm asking here 'cause maybe someone has experiences with this and can give me some advice what the problem is/what I can do. So I'm training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (since 8 month) and all of my training partners are at least 45lbs heavier than me, some even more. Especially when someone has me in side control it feels like my spine is kinda squeezed and when I escape sometimes it even feels like it's twisting. Takedowns and bridging hurts as well. At first I didn't make such a big deal out of it 'cause pain is a part of the sport but now the pain get's stronger and lasts for several days. The pain is basically located at the middle of the back and radiating to in between the shoulderblades.

I suggest taking this to the grappling forum - the guys there are doctors as much as we are here, but maybe more experienced with pain that might be related to grappling.

I had good results with going to a Chiropractor. I'd also recommend stretching after class and participating in a strength program once you are cleared by the doctor.

chiropractor, ice / heat therapy, rest, stretching, deadlifts / goodmornings / anything else that works your erector spinae, if none of that helps go see a doc.

EDIT: I always had really nasty backpains. I once tweeked it so bad that my neighbor had to come over and help me up everytime I had to take a piss for 2 days. I think now, my back is better than ever because I began focusing on deadlifts and strengthening my erector muscles.

Doesn't sound logical in a grappling context that you'd feel that kind of pain while sidemounted. Sounds more like that should hurt your ribcage. Maybe you have something going on that didn't start with the grappling.

Being in a bad position isn't supposed to be comfortable! haha. But I understand and I had a similar pain for a while actually. It bothered me during BJJ and also during heavy bench presses. It eventually went away so I don't know exactly what helped it. I would recommend as many easy ab exercises as possible (crunches, leg lifts, butterflys, planks, etc), stretching, deadlifts, and maybe even rows/pullups.
I'm not a doctor and I'm not considered knowledgable but I assume there's something thats supposed to be protecting your spine and it's not strong enough right now to do it's job.

I'd forgo the chiro and suggest seeing a physical therapist.

Thanks. And yeah... I'm afraid of chiros. Heard horrible things about them.

I've always had lots of back pain from grappling and its usually due to needing it cracked. I grappled for 5 years and would always twist my torso back and forth to crack it before grappling. If not I'd end up in a position which placed pressure on my spine and it would hurt. Sometimes I'd even get cracked simply by rolling with a partner, which was a pleasant surprise.

Going to a chiro, for me, is a temporary fix of your pain. It is not a long term solution and chances are if you're actually doing something wrong in BJJ then the second you get on the mats you'll just mess it up again. Sure it feels wonderful to get your spine blasted into oblivion but that's what they're relying on...at least in my opinion.

Maybe try some foam rolling and back dynamic stretches before hitting the mats? Are you warming up??

Focus on your posture throughout the day and see if your standing all crazy. Most people dont have great posture so it can lead to a alot of imbalances like hamstrings pulling super tight on the lower back, chest contracted tighter while the upper back is stretched across, etc.

I had problems with my lower back from BJJ and it led to a pinched nerve which sucked ass.Chiro definitely did more help than a traditional doctor. But on my own i found that my hamstrings and hip flexors were extremely tight and unbeleivably inflexible when I was in a good posture (good meaning balanced and not stressing joints or tendons) and this was putting a crapload of strain on my lower back. After adjusting my posture over the months (conscious effort everyday or your old muscle habits will slowly set back in) I began feeling much better.

Just some food for thought. You wanna nip this in the bud before it gets any worse

Thanks. And yeah... I'm afraid of chiros. Heard horrible things about them.

Seriously, chiros aren't that bad. Finding one that is good is the hard part. Good chiros combine physical therapy and adjustments. Good chiros do not claim to resolve viral and bacterial infections with spinal manipulation.

I had really bad lower back pain where my shit would spasm and I couldn't walk straight. My back was crooked. I went to a PT and he was good but when I went to the MAT and chiro, did I start to see major pain relief and improvement.

Ask around your jitz class and see where the other guys or your instructor goes.

My chiro does Muscle Activation Therapy (MAT) and his chiro care. My lower back pain has been kept in check since seeing him.

personaly i gave up ju jitsu because it was just too dangerous. everyone i know that dose it is constantly crippled with injury.

personaly i gave up ju jitsu because it was just too dangerous. everyone i know that dose it is constantly crippled with injury.

What dose does the Dr. prescribe for jitz?

Focus on your posture throughout the day and see if your standing all crazy. Most people dont have great posture so it can lead to a alot of imbalances like hamstrings pulling super tight on the lower back, chest contracted tighter while the upper back is stretched across, etc.

I had problems with my lower back from BJJ and it led to a pinched nerve which sucked ass.Chiro definitely did more help than a traditional doctor. But on my own i found that my hamstrings and hip flexors were extremely tight and unbeleivably inflexible when I was in a good posture (good meaning balanced and not stressing joints or tendons) and this was putting a crapload of strain on my lower back. After adjusting my posture over the months (conscious effort everyday or your old muscle habits will slowly set back in) I began feeling much better.

Just some food for thought. You wanna nip this in the bud before it gets any worse

I have the same issue!

That was in 2011, how's your back, hamstrings and hip flexors now?

There are some good chiros out there. Inversion tables are good. Stretching hamstrings and hip flexors is good. This is a good place to learn how to really strengthen your core. That will help prevent some wear and tear on your spine

You should get checked by a quack.

Outside of that, get your hands on the Encyclopedia of Joint Mobility series from Steve Maxwell and do part 5 (the spine and lower back series) see if that helps any.

When my back gives me trouble, I mostly make sure to try really hard to not play much guard and get stacked too much. I've noticed that if my back is a bit sore and I go roll and do lots of guard work it really aggravates things. When I avoid that the back is the same (not better) as when I started that session.

I have piriformis syndrome so I live with this crap. I have to have my si joint popped every so often. No matter what alert I do it flares up and I'm out for a couple weeks to a month. The hip acting up causes back pain. Perhaps you have the same thing. It's manageable but never goes away

Go to a doctor, rehab your lower back, then train deadlifts, squats, reverse hyperextensions, glute ham raises, and hypers. Stretch your lower back, foam roll it, and take contrast showers.

Back