Jerwin Ancajas being "groomed" by Bob Arum on ESPN

Sakuraba7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/01/jerwin-ancajas-groomed-stardom-espn/

IBF super flyweight champion Jerwin ‘Pretty Boy’ Ancajas (28-1-1, 19 KOs) is being groomed by promoter Bob Arum on ESPN in hopes of making him into a star, according to Lance Pugmire.

The idea is to out the exciting 25-year-old Filipino knockout artist on ESPN to build up his fan base fighting in front of large viewing audiences. However, it may be slow going for Ancajas is being built into a star, as Arum isn’t interested in having him take part in the highly popular SuperFly series on HBO in which he would be facing very good fighters on televised fights on HBO. For some reason, Arum doesn’t want to have Ancajas fight in the SuperFly series.

”There’ll be plenty of time to fight those guys later on,” Arum said to Lance Pugmire about Ancajas.

It seems like a backwards move by Arum not to have Ancajas fight in the SuperFly series, as he would be competing against the best fighters in the 115 lb. division like Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, Juan Francisco Estrada, Carlos Cuadras, Naoya Inoue, Khalid Yafai and Roman Gonzalez. Those are the names that Ancajas should be fighting if he wants to become popular in a hurry.

Ancajas isn’t going to become a big star beating little known fighters like his next opponent Israel Gonzalez (21-1, 8 KOs), who he’ll be facing next week on February 3 on ESPN at the Bank of America Center in Corpus Christi, Texas. Arum might be thinking that if he puts Ancajas in enough fights against over-matched opposition on ESPN, then the casual boxing fans will get excited at seeing him.

I don’t know if that’s going to be the case. The fans want to see competitive fights involving talented fighters, not guys that are being brought in to make a guy look better than he is. Ancajas needs to grow as a fighter by facing the best available opposition. I’m not sure that’s going to happen if Arum is resistant to letting Ancajas fight in the SuperFly series against the best fighters.

The casual boxing fans probably don’t have much of any idea who the good fighters are at 115. It’s possible that if Arum feeds Ancajas with enough over-matched fringe contenders, the casual fans will get excited about him like they did with Manny Pacquiao when his fights started being shown in the U.S. There’s a significant difference though with how Pacquiao was turned into a star and the way Arum is approaching building Ancajas into a household name.

When Pacquiao began to have his fights televised in the U.S in the early 2000s, he was fighting guys like Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Emmanuel Lucero, Fahsan 3K Battery, Hector Velazquez, Oscar Larios, Jorge Solis and David Diaz. In other words, Pacquiao wasn’t spoon fed by Arum. That’s why the U.S boxing public got excited about Pacquiao. But with Ancajas, he’s facing a #9 IBF Israel Gonzalez on February 3. Before that, Ancajas was matched against Jamie Conlan and Teirus Kinoshita. Those were 2 mismatches. Ancajas is not being matched the same Pacquiao was. You have to wonder if Ancajas’ prime is going to be wasted by being matched against guys that have no chance against him.

If Ancajas' team doesnt think he is ready for a top 5 guy then so be it. Crush all the cans you want.

ughhh, I believe a lot in Ancajas but he doesn't have a huge time window to get the fights we want, particularly if they're going to keep protecting him and keeping him in there with low tier opponents. Inoue already moved up, so now what? I've already heard rumors of their plans for him: a few more bums then eventually a fight with Cuadras and (if we're lucky) Jonas Sultan.

The winner of JFE/SSR and maybe Yafai are the only guys that really make me interested. I hope he doesn't waste a legitimately great generation of talent in this division just ot make a cheap legacy as a titlist

ughhh, I believe a lot in Ancajas but he doesn't have a huge time window to get the fights we want, particularly if they're going to keep protecting him and keeping him in there with low tier opponents. Inoue already moved up, so now what? I've already heard rumors of their plans for him: a few more bums then eventually a fight with Cuadras and (if we're lucky) Jonas Sultan.

The winner of JFE/SSR and maybe Yafai are the only guys that really make me interested. I hope he doesn't waste a legitimately great generation of talent in this division just ot make a cheap legacy as a titlist

Are you saying that Jerwin is good but not all that special and that his handlers better get him a world championship asap because he might not be the type to retain and improve his skill at 30 yrs old?

I tend to agree with that, but I still think he needs more fights. He has never even fought in Vegas yet. And he is also a complete no name, even in the Philippines.

Are you saying that Jerwin is good but not all that special and that his handlers better get him a world championship asap because he might not be the type to retain and improve his skill at 30 yrs old?

I tend to agree with that, but I still think he needs more fights. He has never even fought in Vegas yet. And he is also a complete no name, even in the Philippines.
no i think he has a lot of talent. I'm not sure how long he'll last as that talent, but the point I was trying to make was mroe that SFlW is hot right nowand he should strike while the iron is still hot. He should target Yafai and the JFE/SSR winner ASAP because Inoue is about to move up. He already missed a fight iwth Inoue, he should rush to make his career memorable while he still can.

no i think he has a lot of talent. I'm not sure how long he'll last as that talent, but the point I was trying to make was mroe that SFlW is hot right nowand he should strike while the iron is still hot. He should target Yafai and the JFE/SSR winner ASAP because Inoue is about to move up. He already missed a fight iwth Inoue, he should rush to make his career memorable while he still can.
ON the one hand I agree, but they probably think a fight like SSR would brutalize him.

Pathetic what they're doing with him. Something like 3 of his last 4 fights have been cans, and it doesn't seem like its ending any time soon.

My bet is on Jonas Sultan, #1 IBF contender, possibly derailing him for the good of us all.

I actually read an article a month or two back with Ancajas's team shamelessly saying they don't want the Sultan fight because they're both Filipino....uhh, if SULTAN wants the fight i don't see why YOU should be making that call, dickhead. Sultan's wanted it, and i hope these crooks don't squeeze a way out of it.

“Groomed”, don’t like the sound of that....

Bob Glitter

all i know is ancajas turned down naoya inoue offer to fight on superfly2

Pathetic what they're doing with him. Something like 3 of his last 4 fights have been cans, and it doesn't seem like its ending any time soon.

My bet is on Jonas Sultan, #1 IBF contender, possibly derailing him for the good of us all.

I actually read an article a month or two back with Ancajas's team shamelessly saying they don't want the Sultan fight because they're both Filipino....uhh, if SULTAN wants the fight i don't see why YOU should be making that call, dickhead. Sultan's wanted it, and i hope these crooks don't squeeze a way out of it.
I could see that. Sultan is talented, pretty slick, he could give Jerwin some serious problems, though I'd still pick Jerwin.

I hope we see good fights but I have the feeling Jerwin won't be facing somebody legit for a while.

Title had me imagining a guy sitting on Arum's lap while Arum combed his hair.

Jerwin Ancajas' Team Saw Top Rank as Best Move, Not Superfly
http://www.boxingscene.com/jerwin-ancajas-team-saw-top-rank-best-move-not-superfly--124796

IBF super flyweight titlist Jerwin Ancajas (28-1-1, 19 KOs) is set to defend his belt this weekend at the Bank of America Center in Corpus Christi on ESPN.

It's the first fight of a new multi-fight deal the southpaw from the Philippines signed with Top Rank.

This decision means that Ancajas will not be part of the 'SuperFly' series on HBO for the near future.

Sean Gibbons, a representative of Joven Sports (which handles Ancajas) explained to BoxingScene.com - "The reasoning behind it is Jerwin's a work in progress and he has a little more development in him and that thing they just want to toss you in with everybody. This way we can do it but at our speed, our pace and who's the best promoter in the world for Filipinos? Bob Arum."

The veteran promoter held a media gathering this past Friday at the Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, California to talk up Ancajas.

"We've got a whole country, we've got a lot of things that add up differently than some of these guys that want to jump into the 'SuperFly," continued Gibbons.

The second edition of that series takes place on February 24th at the Forum in Inglewood, California and it features the WBC 115-pound champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai versus Juan Francisco Estrada..

So what's the plan for Ancajas in 2018?

"We have to do this fight and then we have to do our mandatory against Jonas Sultan and then we pick another fight. Bob has a tremendous series at ESPN right now and the visibility and the viewership," said Gibbons, who then explained another facet of the deal that attracted them. "ESPN TV5 just started in the Philippines and we're going live to the Philippines. It's about raising his visibility in the Philippines."

Arum still hoping for another Pacqiuao. That will never happen again.

I've seen Ancajas fight and he was pretty damn good. No way he'll be a fighter like Pacquiao. Hell I doubt he'll even get to Loma or Rigo level exposure. But if he continues his steady rise he'll be fine. He's only 26 after all.

Back