Japan plans on having operational flying cars by 2023.

Lonesome Crow

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/03/japan-draw-rules-sky-first-generation-flying-cars/

"The Japanese government is to set up a council of developers and ministry officials that will set the rules of the road - or, more accurately, the rules of the sky - for flying cars.

The council will be convened before the end of the year and will design regulations and standards for a new generation of vehicles, and has been set the target of the Tokyo Olympics Games in 2020 as a showcase for the technology and to have flying cars operational by 2023"

Japan hellbent on making every sci-fi/anime/comic book nerd fantasy a reality.

I fully support their endeavors to do so.

Also, I can't wait to race some chump through the Akaishi Mountains. Some punks about to auger in the slopes of Mt. Kita.

I feel like safety has always and will always be the biggest problem with wide spread use of flying cars.

Until AI piloted flying cars are a thing, human pilots will bring way too much ruckus.

Think about it. How many people can't even stay in their own lane in a car?

Now give them 3 dimensional freedom. The number of deaths from drunk people, old people, stupid people, and cell phone people smashing their flying car into a building, park, a passenger plane, or anything else is going to be INSANE.

The next 9/11 could be caused by two drunk guys drag racing in the air if flying cars were widespread.

reminds me of this:

great mini documentary to check out....

Some immature dumbshit kids will think of some deadly flying car version of drifting and smash into condos and office buildings.

I feel like safety has always and will always be the biggest problem with wide spread use of flying cars.

Until AI piloted flying cars are a thing, human pilots will bring way too much ruckus.

Now give them 3 dimensional freedom. The number of deaths from drunk people, old people, stupid people, and cell phone people smashing their flying car into a building, park, a passenger plane, or anything else is going to be INSANE.

The next 9/11 could be caused by two drunk guys drag racing in the air if flying cars were widespread.

I completely agree. I hate the notion of it. Not only would I not want to do it myself, but i would be extremely leery of people either making errors that cause a heavy vehicle careering toward the earth or just being the unlucky recipient of mechanical failure that causes the same result.

It's a mess.

Leave that stuff for the Jetsons. Don't bring it to the states.

Yeah but will commonfolk be able to afford these cars? Or is this just for the millionaires and billionaires among us?

I completely agree. I hate the notion of it. Not only would I not want to do it myself, but i would be extremely leery of people either making errors that cause a heavy vehicle careering toward the earth or just being the unlucky recipient of mechanical failure that causes the same result.

It's a mess.

Leave that stuff for the Jetsons. Don't bring it to the states.

Don't worry. There'd be so much regulation and red tape that it'd take 20-30 years after becoming commonplace in Japan to come here. And even then, it'd be so ridiculously over-regulated that it wouldn't be worth pursuing at all, at least not for ordinary people in any sort of meaningful way.

Yeah but will commonfolk be able to afford these cars? Or is this just for the millionaires and billionaires among us?

Don't worry. There'd be so much regulation and red tape that it'd take 20-30 years after becoming commonplace in Japan to come here. And even then, it'd be so ridiculously over-regulated that it wouldn't be worth pursuing at all, at least not for ordinary people in any sort of meaningful way.
Someone will slap together a shitty flying car out of beer cans and old computer parts.

Someone will slap together a shitty flying car out of beer cans and old computer parts.

I've listened to Sam Harris on Rogan's show several times and I'm pretty scared about AI...

I keep thinking Maximum Overdrive/Skynet could be down the line.

I've listened to Sam Harris on Rogan's show several times and I'm pretty scared about AI...

I keep thinking Maximum Overdrive/Skynet could be down the line.
Better hope AI doesn't think all humans are assholes based on the many assholes it observes.

dunno about flying cars, especially in 5 years.
would prefer something like those travel pods in the movie minority report.

I do suppose we're overlooking the advancements in safety equipment. If the Japanese can develop reliable flying cars I'm sure they can develop reliable safety technology to go along with it. Which is probably where some form of AI comes in.

in a way, isn't it already kinda happening now?

we might be walking downtown in any city and unbeknownst to us, some schmuck just lost power in his drone and it is careening down to the streets.

I do suppose we're overlooking the advancements in safety equipment. If the Japanese can develop reliable flying cars I'm sure they can develop reliable safety technology to go along with it. Which is probably where some form of AI comes in.

hope it's not as simple as it was in total recall ha

Japan should probably figure out how to keep a lead in the World Cup first...

Don't you think?

Japan should probably figure out how to keep a lead in the World Cup first...

Don't you think?

or maybe how to handle nuclear power safely in an area prone to natural disasters....

First things first. Need to develop better sex robots/dolls then they can work on flying cars

I think the bigger problem would be the noise they'd make and also decapitating people when they fall

Back