James Fuller's Carb Craze

James Fuller

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Ok I am off on an experiment...to get stronger, leaner and healthier using a diet based upon a moderate to high % of carbohydrates...about 60%.

Now a word...this is not a "diet" or a "plan" I don't believe in those. These are just general principles that are going to guide my eating and I will be posting in here the exact ratio found each day in my diet, along with links to my workout logs from the coming weeks. These will be used to test and measure my relative strength to bw ratio in the deadlift, clean and press, box squat, bench and OHP. Lastly, I will (hopefully) provide an accurate measure of body fat before and after as well but don't hold your breath unless I figure out a cheap way to do it at home or by myself :)

Also, as I am currently snowed in, and just came off a hell of a training camp helping my brother win his first title, I will not be able to test my 1RM in my chosen lifts so this experiment will have to begin in a day or two. BEar with me as I get groceries and struggle to shovel my way to the gym :)

Goal Weight: 165 lbs. or 75 kg
I. 30 Calories of carbohydrates for each KG of body weight. This equals 2,227 calories from carbohydrates daily.
a.This bases our total calorie expenditure at 60% carbohydrates, yielding a total (ideal) calorie intake of 3700 calories per day or 556 grams based on the metabolic function of 1 gram carb= 4cal. I am basing my calorie needs on my per kg/carb ratio because of the importance I believe carbohydrates play in the functioning of elite/intermediate level athletes.
II. 20% Calories from Fat
a. 740 calories or 82 grams based on the metabolic function of 1 gram fat= 9cal
III. 20% Calories from Protein
a. 740 Calories or 189 grams based on the metabolic function of 1 gram protein= 4cal

Guidelines for Eating the Three Macronutrients
I. Carbohydrates
a.As the largest bloc in the diet it is imperative we use carbs in a healthy and effective way in order to maximize the use of fats and proteins which are essential for various functions inside a mma athletes training regimen
i.Most (70-80%) or carbs should be eaten at lunch and before as a general rule. However, my personal training is quite late, 7:30-8:00 pm most nights, and sometimes as late as 10:30 pm (indoor soccer) I allow for greater carb consumption in way of my post lunch, pre-workout snack.
ii.The glycemic index replaces the simple vs. complex carbohydrate paradigm in this diet though naturally there is a correlation between the two i.e. carbs low on GI tend to be complex, fibrous etc.
1.This is why fruit (chemically a simple sugar though very mild on blood sugar levels) is seen a more favorable light then in some circles.
2.Whole grain pasta and natural oats are emphasized due to their convenience and their easy pairings with a Mediterranean ingredients (a style I feel quite conducive to the tenants of this approach). And it’s what I like. So there.
II.Protein
a.A lesser % of red meat then I typically I have but not as much as nutrition experts would have you believe. Due to a great thread by XTrainer that I found here http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/cholesterol-saturated-fat-myths-addressed-here-1141488/ I believe the saturated fat a lot of people fear from animal proteins, especially red meat, is overblown. To quote:

Proliferation of plaques may occur, not because of simple elevations in blood cholesterol, but because of unfavorable physiological conditions that damage or weaken the structure of the arterial wall. These factors include nutrient deficiencies,14 poor glycemic control,15 cigarette smoking,16 homocysteine,17 psychological stress,18 nitric oxide depletion,19 high iron levels,20 microbial infection,21,22 dietary trans fatty acids,23 excessive refined carbohydrate intake,24 and excessive omega-6 fatty acid intake and/or deficient omega-3 fat intake.25
Cholesterol, contrary to its popular image as a potent enemy of health and longevity, is actually a crucial substance that performs innumerable vital functions in the body. Cholesterol is needed for the synthesis of bile acids, which are essential for the absorption of fats, and of many hormones such as testosterone, estrogen, dihydroepiandrosterone, progesterone, and cortisol.8 Together with sun exposure, cholesterol is required to produce vitamin D.9 Cholesterol is an essential element of cell membranes, where it provides structural support and may even serve as a protective antioxidant.10,11 It is essential for conducting nervous impulses, especially at the level of the synapse.12
Anthony Colpo LDL Cholesterol: “Bad” Cholesterol, or Bad Science? Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons Volume 10 Number 3 Fall 2005
b. A lot of Chicken, shrimp and pork as I find these sources of protein to have a good ration of protein/fat as well as being less expensive then other cuts such as my favorites the New York Strip or any other steaks ☺
III. Fat
a. A reliance on plant fats and omega three sources as the provider of healthy fat intake, essential for hard training athletes, is emphasized. This, as mentioned before works well within the mediterranean diet advocated by many enjoyed by myself.
i. Examples are olive oil, peanut butter, oily fish such as salmon, avocado etc. I also am I big fan of milk fat. I think it gets a bad rap and it is muscle’s #1 growing food. So I am risking it lol
b. Most fat consumed directly upon waking, pre or post workout.

Last edited:
Ok after a week or so of trial to see what meals and combination of meals and snacks adheres to my plan and started it yesterday. Weighed in at 171 lbs even on my notoriously heavy scale yesterday before training. I might have a fight on March 19th but unsure right now what weight it will be at...

For sake of experiment I am going to test my 1RM in key exercises in determing strength before and after an extended time on the diet. While not as high as PR I have had in the past before my last weight cut these represent my upper limit now as I also went back and deloaded to stop cheating my form and go back to very strict standards.

Bench: 200lbs
Dead: 300 lbs
Squat (ATG): 265 lbs
OHP: 145 lbs
Clean: 185 lbs

Last edited:
Good Luck with the diet & the upcoming fight!

Good Luck with the diet & the upcoming fight!

Thanks dude! Might have to take a 145 fight in two weeks, great opportunity came up, so this all might have to change based on the need to lose 25 pounds the next two weeks lol

Here is my food log for yesterday. Did a circuit style trainign session last night prepping for a possible weight cut to 145. Current BW is at 167 which means I must have had a full stomach etc. cause I didnt lose 4 pounds in a day!

Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life. My food diary reflects it. No calories in the middle of the day plus 7 beers :) No longer have a fight on the 18th of feb so gfoing back into my lifting until Second weekend in march.

Well yesterday was scarcely an improvement lol so once again I stayed in and treated myself to some junk and a bit of rest. Here is my unfarnished and slightly embarrasing food log :)

Ok so the 11th and 12th got lost in the netherworld of the weekend lol. Didn't go out drinking or anything and the calorie totals/breakdown was roughly the same. SOme more fat via Alfredo sauces and some soft cheeses like feta or blue but still multi grain pastas and chicken etc.

Anyway tomorrow I will put my logs up I have to do grades tonight (what a joke for kindergarteners) and my brothers comp is not cooperating. I will also put my first weeks lifting log up as I formulated a program based around 90% of my 1RM for the lifts listed earlier.

Ok so life i.e. breaking up with my GF, getting my car towed, written up at work and straining a tendon has all added up to me not updating my diet calender. I am down to 165 lbs even but that is more to do with not eating a whiole lot due to stress and lack of time. Starting next week I am going to enter "fight camp diet" which basically only consists in getting disciplined about eating enough calories and doing it at the right time.

For now I will post my new 1RM's as tested this week:

DL:315 lbs (+10)
SQ:270 lbs (+5)
Bench:200 lbs(even)
OHP: 165 lbs (even)

well i have been keeping my food log but am too sick and too tired to really load it up here. I imagine one day this week I will do a mass post of the week. The big news though is I have set up for myself a little "grand prix" scenario. Win convincingly aka quick enough not to be suspended march 19th vs. Bobby wright and I can fight April 2nd for the 145 belt of the same promotion my brother just won the 135 belt for. aka dream territory stuff.

SO I have been doing a bastardized version of the 5/3/1 program. Basically I will have done the first 4 week cycle minus the deloading week which I will spend cutting the last 10/12 pounds off my frame :) Will post that later on tonight.

How did you create your food log? Is that an excel document?

Good Luck!

I create it using fatsecret.com and exporting it to excel then saving it as a gif in paint so it can go up on here. :)

Here is my workout log for this week:
02/27 Sunday
1.Squat 3x3 170, 190, 215
2.OHP 3x3 90, 105, 115
3.Chinups 2x failure with "fatgripz"
4. Pullups (wide grip) 2xfailure with "fatgripz"
5. 3 mile jog

02/28 Monday
1.Boxing/Muay Thai class 8:00 pm-9:45 pm

03/01 Tuesday
off

03/02 Wednesday
1. BJJ/Wrestling class 8:00-9:45 pm

03/03 Thursday
1. Power Clean 4x3 155
2. Bench 4x5524 135,155,185,135
3. Deadlift 3X3 190,215,245
4. 2 mile jog

03/04 Friday
LSD training

Have had a bunch of off days from work which is where I up load my food log. rest assured the last couple and remaining days until the 19th are being logged and will be uploaded.

03-05 Saturday
-Squat 5/3/1 225, 255, 270 (PR)
-OHP 5/3/1 115, 130, 135
Chinups 2 sets to failure with fatgripz
Pullups 2 sets to failure with fatgripz

03-06 Sunday
-Sparring Day 6x4 min MMA rounds with fresh partner each 1/2 round. Light drilling and standup sparring

03-07 Monday
-Boxing/Muay Thai

03-08 Tuesday
-off

03-09 Wednesday
-BJJ/Wrestling Class

Last edited:
Back