Jailton Almeida - Do you think he has what it takes to be a HW champion?

Jailton Almeida do you think he has what it takes to be a HW champion?

• Total voters
I don’t believe he’s title level yet just because he seems so one dimensional.

I find it very hard to believe he can just Insta shoot doubles on guys like Blaydes, Jones, Aspinall, Pav, etc. and get them and hold them down.

If he proves that he has solid cardio and striking, then he is a legit champ level fighter. But right now, he’s just a good grappler who has received very favorable matchups.

Meh, says you. I say he beats 4 or 5 of the 12 i listed

Coleman (40) fought Fedor in 2006 off wins over Nilco Voorn and the Shogun fluke but today's hw division is crap because AA can SD guys outta the top 20??

Ok

Enjoy your dvd's

Out of curiosity, how does Coleman beat current AA?
Lmao AA has nearly two dozen defeats on his record. Not hard envisioning ways a 50 year old AA would lose would lose to a mark Coleman (who was coming off two wins over an about to go on four fights win streak Milco and the guy who just put the best ever year in LHW history in Rua)

But then you are just trying to scope shift. Fact remains AA’s zombie corpse is 4-1 in the modern era ufc!!!

Last time(S) he went on a similar run he ended facing stipe for ufc or rumble for wsof titles a decade ago. Which was already a full decade after his own prime ended and he lost to Timmeh back to back all the way back in 2006.

Modern era UFC HW division is the epitome of professional sports evolution no wonder mma is bigger than soccer!

Yeah, most people here assume that he is a heavyweight Demian Maia, a dude with 0 striking. But what if he is more like a heavyweight Khabib, just enough striking to set up his takedowns without looking desperate. Then, he would be a force. 5 fights in the UFC, and he had never needed to throw a punch. Another fight in the contender series against a sambo champion from dagestan. It looked exactly the same as his UFC fights. We don't know anything about his striking to assume that he would get "exposed".

His coach said his primary weapon is boxing...if that's even half true the HW division has a fuckin problem on their hands sir.

Almeida disarming bombs like EOD
(but sooner or later)...

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 10.07.02 AM.png
#1 Takedown Attempt -- no bueno.

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 10.02.52 AM.png
#2 Takedown Attempt -- bueno.

"Level change coming." - Cormier
"He lasso'd the knees, he lasso'd the knees." - Cruz

Dude been training to fight since he was 11. He knows how to box. His coaches say that boxing is his strength. He doesn’t need to tho. HW has horrible grapples. Dude is legit. He needs to fight Tom aspinal.

He beats everybody but Jones and maybe Pav and Blaydes. He walks through Gane imo. Very very legit guy. Has not shown a crack in his armor since his DWCS debut. Very impressed so far

Would like to see him fight an actual grappler with a pulse before I can decide. His cardio also appears suspect as well.

Lmao AA has nearly two dozen defeats on his record. Not hard envisioning ways a 50 year old AA would lose would lose to a mark Coleman (who was coming off two wins over an about to go on four fights win streak Milco and the guy who just put the best ever year in LHW history in Rua)

But then you are just trying to scope shift. Fact remains AA’s zombie corpse is 4-1 in the modern era ufc!!!

Last time(S) he went on a similar run he ended facing stipe for ufc or rumble for wsof titles a decade ago. Which was already a full decade after his own prime ended and he lost to Timmeh back to back all the way back in 2006.

Modern era UFC HW division is the epitome of professional sports evolution no wonder mma is bigger than soccer!

No.

He defeated Browne and Hapa in his last run, who were both top 10 (fringe top 10 schaub) as well as Bigfoot and Mir. But logic isnt your strong suit.

And hes not on a run...he just got obliterated last time by an unranked guy

You go right ahead and cling to those SDs over jobbers on the prelims tho if it makes you feel better about your 17 years defunct joke league

Last edited:
I've watched every fight and every card for ions sir.

lmfaooooooooooo. You know, I’m guilty of not remembering a lot of usernames. But I do remember yours. Pretty sure we’ve interacted before and it’s usually been positive. It’s ok if you don’t remember my username. It’s pretty shitty/generic.

that said, let me tell you how you’re feeling right now.

no, but seriously, this is a great post. The misspelling of eons. The appeal to authority logical fallacy. Acting like you’ve seen every fight ever but still not being able to see the limitations in Jailton’s striking.

what makes this especially good is that I can be a little gullible on sherdog so I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. I could go through your post history and see if you have a history of level headed comments or if you just love to troll. But, you know, I like not knowing. It makes the comment better.

“Is he trolling? Is he serious?” The fact that I’m even questioning this makes this a great troll job. Even if you’re serious, this is still 10/10.

thanks for being a sherbro. MY sherbro. You’re a great contributor and you help make sherdog a great place full of fun, laughter, authenticity. You help keep the fans on their toes. God bless the posters who shift from serious to troll on a whim. That’s what’s made sherdog forums great since the beginning.

lmfaooooooooooo. You know, I’m guilty of not remembering a lot of usernames. But I do remember yours. Pretty sure we’ve interacted before and it’s usually been positive. It’s ok if you don’t remember my username. It’s pretty shitty/generic.

that said, let me tell you how you’re feeling right now.

no, but seriously, this is a great post. The misspelling of eons. The appeal to authority logical fallacy. Acting like you’ve seen every fight ever but still not being able to see the limitations in Jailton’s striking.

what makes this especially good is that I can be a little gullible on sherdog so I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. I could go through your post history and see if you have a history of level headed comments or if you just love to troll. But, you know, I like not knowing. It makes the comment better.

“Is he trolling? Is he serious?” The fact that I’m even questioning this makes this a great troll job. Even if you’re serious, this is still 10/10.

thanks for being a sherbro. MY sherbro. You’re a great contributor and you help make sherdog a great place full of fun, laughter, authenticity. You help keep the fans on their toes. God bless the posters who shift from serious to troll on a whim. That’s what’s made sherdog forums great since the beginning.

I misspelled a word, one of the very few... everyone makes mistakes sir.
I remember talkin to you quite a few times.

I haven't missed a card or fight in a long ass time so Im not tryin to one up you, or trying to bust your balls here.
He hasn't thrown many punches and I don't judge fighters until I see them in many different situations.

I said this before, but I think his ceiling was higher at 205. Could easily envision a championship trajectory for him there, or at the very least Top 5. He didn't make it to elite competition to prove himself at LHW, but the way he was pretty easily dispatching dudes with solid grappling pedigrees by beating them at their own game was really something to behold. He was enormous for the weight class, very physically strong, and was able to bring that advantage of physicality into pretty much every contest at 205.

At Heavyweight, he's giving up that size and strength advantage to avoid cutting weight, to gain a slight speed advantage, and for the sake of the presumption that fewer Heavyweights know how to grapple. I get it, there's a couple of positive knock-on effects that come with not cutting weight. But I don't know if it'll be worth it solely from a career trajectory standpoint, especially since I don't know if that last point regarding divisional makeup and lack of grappling acumen is entirely true. 205 is loaded up with a lot of kickboxers and primary strikers right now, some of which have suspect defensive grappling. And frankly just as a division in general the depth of talent isn't orders of magnitude better than Heavyweight outside of, like... the Top 6 guys.

And I kinda feel like I've seen enough to reinforce this belief. It started with the Parker Porter fight. Jailton shot a picture-perfect, well-timed entry on Porter's hips against the fence. He straight-up beats Parker to his own hips and has him dead-to-rights before Porter even thinks about defending the takedown. Against all of his previous opponents at 205, he would have elevated and dumped them on their head. Yet against Parker, you can see Almeida have a brief moment where he struggles to lift the bigger man's weight. It wasn't for long -- maybe a second or two -- but it was apparent and striking, especially in comparison to his previous bouts against much better technical wrestlers. Eventually he managed to sort of "re-dig" and dump Parker onto the canvas before destroying him.

Then came the Shamil fight, where a 41-year-old Abdurakhimov who is beyond shot cracked Jailton with a right hand in the opening frame and managed to keep exploding back to his feet every time Jailton took him down. To Almeida's credit, he maintained some semblance of control over Shamil and kept hitting mat returns to tire the bigger guy out, but he still evidently had issues consolidating a dominant position early and ended up taking Shamil to the second round before finishing him.

Against Rozenstruik, Jailton got pressured quickly and was forced to shoot a reactive TD to survive Jairzinho's glancing flurry... a TD which got stuffed. Again, he got the fight to the ground and in his wheelhouse soon thereafter, but even then it felt more like Jairzinho's mistakes rather than Almeida's typical brutal GnP set up that sub (though I don't want to take too much credit away from Jailton for a solid win over a dangerous guy). For a moment I honestly thought Jairzinho was going to stay conservative on his back, mind his P's and Q's, and just go for broke in Round 2 again.

Here's the issue: the fights only get harder from here for Jailton. He's looked great thus far. But look at the rankings:

54e2f413b9a77f28a13aef0632ccc293.png

Not updated yet, I'd expect Jailton to slide in at #9 where Jairzinho is currently sitting on this graph. The only guy ahead of him after that whom I would confidently favor Almeida over are Gane and Tuivasa... who he called out, incidentally (smart man).

A switched-on Volkov, I think, is a deceptively solid test for him and in a five-round Main Event I think that's closer to a 50/50 fight than many people might think at a glance. Spivak, a healthy Aspinall, and Blaydes are all on-paper pretty atrocious stylistic match-ups for him if you ask me. Curtis didn't test Sergei's defensive grappling as thoroughly as I would have liked in their fight, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that Pavlovich probably isn't the same guy who got pounded out by Reem in his debut all those years ago and frankly that was a pretty unique set of circumstances... so I'd probably favor Pavlovich over Jailton, too.

Stipe and Jones probably aren't worth mentioning as there's a good chance we'll be seeing a double retirement situation coming up soon, but if either man is at even a fraction of their old self I don't think Almeida's skill set is the kind to defeat them. Stipe's obviously the easier fight on-paper, though.

So... final stance is that I voted "Not sure, need to see more". That's the closest to how I feel. I don't think it's out of the question that Jailton ends up holding the strap, but I think it would require some pretty favorable matchmaking on the part of his team and the UFC. For instance, imagine he gets a returning Tuivasa. He almost certainly takes him down and either subs him or pounds him out inside of three rounds. Then, meanwhile, Jones beats Stipe and both men retire from the sport. Gane gets the Pavlovich fight he wants for the vacant championship. Sergei tries to box with him, not relying on his wrestling base and ends up getting outstruck at range for his trouble. Gane wins, faces Jailton, gets out-grappled and submitted. Voila. This is just one example I hastily threw together in my mind of how I could feasibly see Jailton getting to the belt. But if he has to legitimately go through the murderer's row of any or all of the men I mentioned above? I think he's taking L's at some point or another... unless I'm either underestimating him or overestimating the Heavyweight contenders -- both of which are very possible.

Last edited:
No.

He defeated Browne and Hapa in his last run, who were both top 10 (fringe top 10 schaub) as well as Bigfoot and Mir. But logic isnt your strong suit.

And hes not on a run...he just got obliterated last time by an unranked guy

You go right ahead and cling to those SDs over jobbers on the prelims tho if it makes you feel better about your 17 years defunct joke league
Pride lives rent free in your head! The bulk of your time spent on sherdog is trying to argue about it. SMH, look pride was bought up by ufc. Who brought pretty much all those guys over. So pride is ufc too. Pride is UFCs asset now. It’s like getting upset by certain fans hyping a piece of your property up.

The ufc and mma in general is doing a shitty job to attract new high level talent frequently and consistently while being a fast growing sport and that’s my gripe.

He's not real big for a HW and could be giving up 40 pounds at times. He looks a great grappler but that disparity in weight might cost him, even against someone he can grapple better than.

Back