Jab mechanics video

a guy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Hey guys, this is a video to demonstrate some mechanics behind a defensively sound, sharp jab. There are many different ways to throw the jab, but following the fundamentals I cover in this video will give you a great foundation to branch out and experiment with the types of jab that best fit your personal style. As a bonus, he's a short video demonstrating a few different ways to vary the type and timing of your jab:

In addition, if you haven't seen it already then check out the writeup I did about using the jab in MMA:

http://cagecraft.net/index.php/2017/02/07/using-the-jab-in-mma/

REALLY great work my friend.

Perfect length, to the point without being too wordy, clear explanation and great points. I haven't thought as much about the up-jab making people pull back and opening up the hook or overhand, that's a very good point. I really liked how you explain great basics, including the wall tip, but still acknowledge and show different jab variations in the second video. I believe it's important for a teacher to understand the purpose and fluidity of various techniques, without being dogmatic.

You should do more of this stuff, looks like there is an audience for it too! Do you plan on teaching at a gym one day? I think you'd have a knack for it.

PS: What a great thing it is to see how we've all grown, and keep growing, through the years huh? :)

My only gripe is VERTICAL VIDEO. Other than that - solid stuff.

Also, you have balls showing yourself on Sherdog. :D (if that's you)

Good video, man. I see a lot of things that I've seen Sinister comment on in threads in there. It's nice to have them all collected in a video with a solid demonstration of the techniques, too. I'll be saving this.

REALLY great work my friend.

Perfect length, to the point without being too wordy, clear explanation and great points. I haven't thought as much about the up-jab making people pull back and opening up the hook or overhand, that's a very good point. I really liked how you explain great basics, including the wall tip, but still acknowledge and show different jab variations in the second video. I believe it's important for a teacher to understand the purpose and fluidity of various techniques, without being dogmatic.

You should do more of this stuff, looks like there is an audience for it too! Do you plan on teaching at a gym one day? I think you'd have a knack for it.

PS: What a great thing it is to see how we've all grown, and keep growing, through the years huh? :)

Thanks a lot man!

When you get a chance, give that up jab a shot and take note of how people react. Especially if you feint a body jab first, then go high with the up jab. Can really put a guy on the back foot. Also yea, I'm definitely trying to get across fundamental mechanics that will work regardless of martial art, but leave room for adaptability.

I'm definitely gonna do more. The first video I made was just supposed to be to answer a specific question someone on reddit asked, but a lot of people have been liking them (way more than I expected) so fuck it, I guess I'm a youtube coach now haha. I'd love to coach at an actual gym one day, that's definitely a future goal of mine.

It's really great to see guys on this forum doing well and getting better, for sure. This place has been a big part of my growth as a martial artist so I'm just hoping to give back a little!

I'm commenting on the first video only.

Great video. You showed excellent use of body mechanics, momentum, strategy, etc. Great primer.

I look at everything from a speed perspective because that's where I specialize. So, I do have one suggestion. It would have be great if you had screamed at the top of your lungs, AND NOTICE THAT I DON'T DROP MY HAND ON THE RETURN PATH TO CHAMBER!!!

Why everybody drops their hands after throwing a speed strike like a jab is beyond me (it's typically worse with a backfist). It's slow, it leaves a great opening for a fighter that is smart enough to time you. But we see it all the time.

Thanks for showing the right way to get it done.

That's definitely something I could have emphasized more. One of the things I need to improve on is making sure I get all the information across that I want to, without making the videos too long or going off on tangents (which is very hard for me, I get excited haha). Thanks for the feedback!

My only gripe is VERTICAL VIDEO. Other than that - solid stuff.

Also, you have balls showing yourself on Sherdog. :D (if that's you)

Haha I know! I've been filming on my phone. These videos have been pretty popular though, like I expected to get maybe 100 views and here I am getting over 9000. So apparently there's an audience, which means it might be worth my time to get it filmed on a real camera.

That is me btw! I've posted a couple videos on sherdog before, some shadowboxing ones and stuff, but this is my first tutorial.

Good video, man. I see a lot of things that I've seen Sinister comment on in threads in there. It's nice to have them all collected in a video with a solid demonstration of the techniques, too. I'll be saving this.

Yea a lot of what Luis teaches is stuff my coach also either teaches, or more likely stuff he does that I have to pay attention to and pick up on from his demonstrations because he's better at showing than telling. That's one of the great things I've gotten from this forum--having things I've seen and been trying to put together exactly on my own explained by people like him who already went through that process.

I'm the same way. I have so much that I want to say that it all tries to come out at once. The result is that I either say too much and lose everyone or nothing comes out at all. :)

And, don't take what I said as criticism. I was glad to see someone using good form to teach a speed technique. When I'm teaching speed I not only preach rechambering efficiently, I preach training the rechamber. Almost no one does that. That creates a way to outperform the competition. I teach rechambering efficiently and rechambering as fast as you strike. Those two changes (for those not already doing them) can make their strikes much more effective.

Again, great vid.

Oh yea, definitely didn't take it as criticism, I very much appreciate the feedback. I'm looking to improve so it helps a lot.

I remember that's one of the first things my dad told me as a kid: "bring the punch back twice as fast as you threw it".

Haha I know! I've been filming on my phone. These videos have been pretty popular though, like I expected to get maybe 100 views and here I am getting over 9000.

:D :D :D :D :D
You walked right into that one!

Hmm. Sounds good but you are showing mainly a jab going forward. The fundamental jab is a one that rises from a position without leg movement, when you have found your distance already. In that case you rise your heels to get power behind it. Waving as my coach likes to explain it. It will be good to explain the jab when going side ways and backwards too. Even when it comes after a straight as 2-1-2 is a very popular combination when moving backwards or sideways.

I liked the video otherwise. Keep it up.

Hmm. Sounds good but you are showing mainly a jab going forward. The fundamental jab is a one that rises from a position without leg movement, when you have found your distance already. In that case you rise your heels to get power behind it. Waving as my coach likes to explain it. It will be good to explain the jab when going side ways and backwards too. Even when it comes after a straight as 2-1-2 is a very popular combination when moving backwards or sideways.

I liked the video otherwise. Keep it up.

Keep in mind I'm not making these videos to teach people how to punch from scratch. These videos are intended for people who already have a coach. I don't believe in learning on your own from youtube, I believe it's there to supplement in-person training with an expert coach. As a result, I'm targeting these videos towards people who already have some idea what I'm talking about, and just giving tips to refine their mechanics. Sort of like advanced basics I guess you could say.

Back