I've noticed an odd fan phenomenon in regards to fighter pay in the UFC...

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
A disproportionate amount of UFC fans laud "fighter x" for making a lot of money whereas boxing fans (on boxing forums, etc) don't care nearly as much in terms of fighter pay...

Why do you think that is?

In fact, just look at the number of people who give Conor a pass for not defending, etc, etc, just because he makes a lot of money... O_O

I find it rather strange. What say you?

The problem isn't that some are making a lot of money. The problem is the many that barely make a living off of it.

A disproportionate amount of UFC fans laud "fighter x" for making a lot of money whereas boxing fans (on boxing forums, etc) don't care nearly as much in terms of fighter pay...

In fact, just look at the number of people who give Conor a pass for not defending, etc, etc, just because he makes a lot of money... O_O

becuz top in boxing get money in ufc noone does. well before conor.

Part of it is people are idiots and fall for a lame schtick

The other part is that some people understand how money affects things, like fight bookings and opportunities.

Conor fans have no other arguments. Their boy is an embarrassment. They have to bring up the money as if somehow that justifies him not defending his titles.

There is a lot of not caring about fighter pay from this guy. They choose their profession just like everyone else.

This era of casual fans are retarded, and are bafflingly invested with how much a fighter makes and how many ppv buys a card brings in.

This era of mma fans are sad.

The casuals think the money a fighter is paid is directly linked to how good they are.

And, that the more you make. The BETTER a fighter is.

Which of course, is nonsense.

tumblr_n6wwqt0GoG1r7ywqgo1_400.gif

Because people get butthurt when other people don't make what they think others should be making. Even though, they're willing participants and choose the fight profession on their own. These same people also get really concerned with how much money things will cost the organization. Case in point, weight cutting. If you suggest they could weigh fighters throughout their training camp to ensure they aren't cutting too much, then you will get flamed by those who are overly concerned with how much it would cost the UFC to weigh people in each time they are tested by USADA?

Also, people in general aren't educated on the subject. Because in fact, your average UFC fighter makes more than your average boxer on the same level. The big difference is what the very top echelon of Pro boxers make compared to their rival in MMA. There is a huge gap there and that is what they focus on and seem to think all boxers make millions of dollars per fight.

Because boxing membership is cheap. MMA is pricey.

The UFC claims to reward skill, loyalty, and drawing power, and people want metrics to reinforce shit that they like. This is complete bullshit, but whatever. For some fans, the bigger the paydays, the bigger the fantasy. The higher the paychecks and the more polished the production value, the larger the audience willing to put aside any moral reservations to enjoy the spectacle. Compared to what is spent covering Football or even collegiate sports, the MMA media are kind of dependent on these kinds of stories to preserve their own organism. They're filler.

The MMA press are largely nerds, nerding. It takes one to recognize one. You can tell from how they report news that none of them for the most part know dick about storytelling, so they follow formula's that appeal to...nerds.

There's a chicken and egg thing going on here.

I think MMA fans are just passionate. The thing about this sport is there's news on it everyday, which keeps you interested. Im constantly engaged with it. Its really the only sport around that doesnt have a season, its all year long. So we care more about these guys cause we see them often. Thats my opinion.

Boxing fans are more mature, intelligent and concerned with the quality of their sport, as opposed to the drama and the personas involved.

MMA casuals know so little about the history of the sport. They have little interest in the legitimate aspects of fighting and care more about hype, fancy clothes, cars, etc.

MMA fans are basically WWE fans.

Boxing fans are more mature, intelligent and concerned with the quality of their sport, as opposed to the drama and the personas involved.

MMA casuals know so little about the history of the sport. They have little interest in the legitimate aspects of fighting and care more about hype, fancy clothes, cars, etc.

MMA fans are basically WWE fans.

SAV
Because dumb fans bought into Conor shenanigans and now think that only "money fights" are relevant.

There's even a thread in here saying that Conor doesn't need to fight Ferguson because it doesn't make sense "businesswise".

Back