Rewatch Islam Makhashev vs Dustin Poirier fight analysis

AL-Tappo McSnappo

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Many are writing of Dustin, but damn, look at that beautiful boxing, how can people doubt him?

Big Islam fan here but i do fear for his weak chin, he is no Khabib.

I want to add Dustin fight against Chandler to the list but didn't find it.

Enjoy.

Edit

I found Dustin vs Chandler one.

Last edited:
Poirier is a beast and legend
I think the main reasons people are writing him off are his age, very few fighters over 35 win a belt in the lower divisions, forgot the exact stats but it was something like 2-20 something or 30
And Islam being a stylistic nightmare. Poirier gets taken down quite easily, and he is going against one of the top wrestlers of the sport

I think the main reasons people are writing him off are his age, very few fighters over 35 win a belt in the lower divisions, forgot the exact stats but it was something like 2-20 something or 30
And Islam being a stylistic nightmare. Poirier gets taken down quite easily, and he is going against one of the top wrestlers of the sport

I hear you, but before fight goes to the floor, Dustin has the advantage. I do agree with the age, 35 is a bad omen.

Last edited:
”How can people doubt him?”

BSD dominated Poirier in the first round with his grappling. Poirier showed bad TDD and jumped on a guillotine like three times. The guillotine he never gets. He looked out of his depth and BSD blew his wad, partly because of the antibiotics he was on (staph infection), for sure.

Islam is even better grappler than BSD. His technique is world class and he’s not just wrestling you, he has submissions and a ton of tricks up his sleeve. He’s a couple notches faster than BSD, who gave Poirier a LOT of trouble.

I see Islam running through him. Poirier doesn’t have many fights left in him and this is the last chance. Unfortunately for him, he’ll come up short if Islam fights smart. And he will.

I'm predicting an early Islam KO. I think Poirer has slowed down a lot, judging by the BSD fight. I think Islam sparks him on the feet pretty easily.

It's just an easy matchup for islam at this point, it isn't that dustin isn't a good fighter

I hear you, but before fight goes to the floor, Dustin has the advantage. I do agree with the age, 35 is a bad omen.
Dustin only has the striking advantage with fighters who want to stand and punch with him, that’s where he uses his better boxing technique to punch between their combos. But that’s not how islam strikes, he almost never gets into exchanges, he potshots from outside and then disengages. Guys like BSD and Gaethje play into Dustin’s style. Anything can happen but Islam is a terrible style matchup for Dustin.

Dustin is a great fighter with solid boxing but Islam is a different tier level fighter.

Islam will win convincingly, Inshallah.

Afterwards, he will go up and win at welterweight. Alhamdulillah.

Chandler grabbed his mouth, spit blood on him and hurt him with a head butt in the 1st. Also punches 100% behind the head. And he tried eyepokes.
In nearly every Poirier fight, you find his opponent cheating against him several times.

Conor: grabbed gloves multiple times.

Gaetje eyepoked him twice and kicked him in the balls

Alvarez: Illegal knee, 12-6 ellbow, grabbed the fence

Last edited:
Back