Is work an intrinsic good?

• Thread starter Significance Deficit
  • Start date
S

Significance Deficit

After a prolonged period where I was only working sporadically because of school and other obligations, I've been working full time again for the last few months. I've realized that along with having a routine and a job where people depend on you to show up and do your part every day comes a certain sense that you're being productive and contributing. I think that saying it gives you purpose would be too strong, but it feels like it's part of the equation in a balanced and healthy life.

That obviously won't be some kind of revelatory information for most people, but my attitude in the past was always to do the bare minimum or that I should be looking for ways to avoid work because I thought it was only a means to an end. A big part of that was a rejection of the puritan work ethic/fetishization of capitalism and financial gain that we see in the US.

Lately though, I've been thinking that's not the case. Something about forcing yourself to get up and go into the world, interact with people, be reliable, not isolate or get in your own head too much, etc. seems to be inherently beneficial. I don't know if it's the group/socialization aspect or if it's actually completing a task that does it, but it's gotten me thinking about the sort of careers I should be looking more into and what I should actually be valuing. An easy, do-nothing type job seems less appealing to me now than something where you have to work hard to accomplish a specific goal.

Not sure where I'm going with this but I'd like to hear others thoughts.

After a prolonged period where I was only working sporadically because of school and other obligations, I've been working full time again for the last few months. I've realized that along with having a routine and a job where people depend on you to show up and do your part every day comes a certain sense that you're being productive and contributing. I think that saying it gives you purpose would be too strong, but it feels like it's part of the equation in a balanced and healthy life.

That obviously won't be some kind of revelatory information for most people, but my attitude in the past was always to do the bare minimum or that I should be looking for ways to avoid work because I thought it was only a means to an end. A big part of that was a rejection of the puritan work ethic/fetishization of capitalism and financial gain that we see in the US.

Lately though, I've been thinking that's not the case. Something about forcing yourself to get up and go into the world, interact with people, be reliable, not isolate or get in your own head too much, etc. seems to be inherently beneficial. I don't know if it's the group/socialization aspect or if it's actually completing a task that does it, but it's gotten me thinking about the sort of careers I should be looking more into and what I should actually be valuing. An easy, do-nothing type job seems less appealing to me now than something where you have to work hard to accomplish a specific goal.

Not sure where I'm going with this but I'd like to hear others thoughts.

I think it's the bolded part that's the key. Maybe not work for the man per se, but engagement in some kind of productive activity as opposed to being a mindless consumer of "stuff".

Thoreau got the same kind of psychological / spiritual benefits in Walden from farming, maintaining a cottage and communing with nature mostly alone.

I think you got it right, OP.
Every job gives you some sense of accomplishment. I decided a long time ago to only do jobs that I feel a real sense of having done something good for people.
Hospital work does it

F that wish I could smoke sleep lift and fuck all day

Back