Is Usman really the WW GOAT?

If he had kept up his run for another 3-4 fights then he'd have had a good case. But he fell off a little too early.

Rule in life:

Follow the money

Does gsp bring the UFC money? - No
Does pushing Usman and therefore Khamzat bring money? Yes

I also think it's pretty clearly GSP n°1.

To me the discussion is about the n°2 spot, I still think Matt Hughes may be slightly above Usman.

Basically Hughes has his peak between 2001 and 2006. Within those 5-6 years he had 11 "big wins" and one defeat, vs Penn, which he avenged afterwards. Some of those wins look great even by todays biase, but try to put them all in context to fully get the picture.
On top of that, though I don't think it's the main criteria to judge a fighter, it still counts, Hughes had a 28-3 record before this UFC run and had a bunch of nice wins after 2006 (Lytle, Serra...).

Usman had pretty much the same, 6 years between 2016 and 2021/2022 of dominance, about 9-10 big wins, no loss like Hughs did, but here again, even though having Edwards or Strickland on your resume looks good, back then they were not that big. Usman doesn't have those nice wins after his peak and was only 4-1 when he got to the ufc.

Anyway, regardless of who of those two you think is n°2 welter ever (in terms of accomplishment and dominance obviously) I don't think it can match GSP.

Dana said so TWICE in the post fight presser.

I always thought that's pretty clearly GSP, but maybe I am biased. So what's your opinion?`

I will disregard the fact that GSP was a two division champ because technically that bears no impact on his WW legacy (I believe it does, but that can be disputed).

I will not compare the amount of title defenses or the number of championship fight wins because Usman could argue he had to wait longer for a ts.

Just for the record the number of championship fight wins is 12 for GSP and 6 for Usman.

Let's just compare UFC wins at WW:

GSP has 20 wins at WW, Usman has 15.
Both have two losses at WW.

GSP beat every man he ever faced and avenged his two losses in devastating fashion. Usman never avenged his losses against Leon.

GSP beat several fighters who can be in top 10-20 GOAT conversation (BJ, Hughes, Shields). Usman's best wins are Colby and maybe Tyron. Outside these two he spent too much time beating Masvidal.

Seriously, am I overlooking anything or is there not even the slightest argument that Usman has the greater WW legacy than GSP?
Dana is a fuckwit
GSP will forever be the WW GOAT. If you disagree , you are wrong :Þ

Dana said so TWICE in the post fight presser.

I always thought that's pretty clearly GSP, but maybe I am biased. So what's your opinion?`

I will disregard the fact that GSP was a two division champ because technically that bears no impact on his WW legacy (I believe it does, but that can be disputed).

I will not compare the amount of title defenses or the number of championship fight wins because Usman could argue he had to wait longer for a ts.

Just for the record the number of championship fight wins is 12 for GSP and 6 for Usman.

Let's just compare UFC wins at WW:

GSP has 20 wins at WW, Usman has 15.
Both have two losses at WW.

GSP beat every man he ever faced and avenged his two losses in devastating fashion. Usman never avenged his losses against Leon.

GSP beat several fighters who can be in top 10-20 GOAT conversation (BJ, Hughes, Shields). Usman's best wins are Colby and maybe Tyron. Outside these two he spent too much time beating Masvidal.

Seriously, am I overlooking anything or is there not even the slightest argument that Usman has the greater WW legacy than GSP?
Gsp cucked dana and the ufc thats why he's mad, also one of the laws in the ufc is you squeeze the star power of former legends by getting them destroyed against younger ones like adesanya with silva, costa with hendrick ngannou with reem and colby with lawler, you get the drift, gsp didnt do that so he automatically isnt the goat in dana's world

Gsp cucked dana and the ufc thats why he's mad, also one of the laws in the ufc is you squeeze the star power of former legends by getting them destroyed against younger ones like adesanya with silva, costa with hendrick ngannou with reem and colby with lawler, you get the drift, gsp didnt do that so he automatically isnt the goat in dana's world

That's a great point - GSP didn't pass on the torch properly but retired on top. Never thought about that.

Weidman vs Reyes was the worst one IMO lol, I guess they needed to say Reyes beat a former champ in Weidman so he would be a problem for Jones

He's a better fighter than GSP, there's no discussion about that.

There is a better argument that Matt Hughes is still #2 than Usman being #1.

UFC/Dana White narratives should just be laughed at. Their comedic opinions should never be taken seriously, even though they're being serious.

Back