Is UFC 301 a fight night level card?

It's a myth.

The espn contract has only required roughly 1 additional event per year to fulfill the alleged requirements of UFC's TV deal with ESPN.
The UFC gets a guaranteed 500k ppv buys no matter what under the ESPN contract. It doesn't matter if they only sell 100k, they still get 500k ppv's buys. There's no incentive for the UFC to put together consistent good ppv's like before ESPN came along. You know they're not getting close to 500k on average, maybe half that if lucky.

That makes no sense. He has a loss against a retired fighter who was cut for no reason and Figgy. And Jones was not a proven champ, he was a proven cheat.
lol, yes he lost to figgy so what?

He's basically already cleared out flyweight, there Is kape and nicalau that he hasn't fought pretty much

297 had 2 title fights, a way better main event with the clearcut number one contender fighting for the title, Evloev v Allen who are higher ranked than anyone on 301 except the champ, and Gatekeeper Magny fighting a hot prospect.
bro no one gave a FUCK about pennington vs mayra we all knew it would be borring it delivered.

yes the main event was good. I am big dricus fan and supporter. Even though strickland has ALWAYS been considered a borring fighter, I've seen several threads saying things like "please no more sean strickland main events ever" and such after losing to cannonier... but anyway i was excited for this mainevent, but I know most people didn't care as much.

When you lay it all out like that, Im now certain this card is better than 297, evloev is a pretty borring fighter anyhow and that fight was kinda bullshit anyway. also If Mallot is a "hot prospect" there are way more, way better, way more entertaining "hot Prospects" on 301. It has bonfim, Jack shore, Da silva, Petrino, Brener, Caio Barallo and Lucindo.

The only thing Lacking is the main event, but this champ has practically cleared out his division, and few guys are injured.

If you'd rather watch pennington vs silva over martinez vs aldo, simply by virtue that it's a title fight, thus giving points to ufc 297 over 301...... You'd must be insane, Imo. This card has an MMA legend on it, you cannot say that about 297

He beat Kape although I disagree with the decision and I'd love to see a rematch
Me too, but Kape missed weight and hasn't been able to show up for his fights. Shame, I enjoy him too and was looking forward to nicalau/kape winner fighting pantoja.

Glad they just went down the list and gave Erceg the shot. he came in on short notice had a huge win and made a big spalsh that night. No one expects much from Erceg, So if creates even a bit of adversity, his stock goes up.

bro no one gave a FUCK about pennington vs mayra we all knew it would be borring it delivered.

yes the main event was good. I am big dricus fan and supporter. Even though strickland has ALWAYS been considered a borring fighter, I've seen several threads saying things like "please no more sean strickland main events ever" and such after losing to cannonier... but anyway i was excited for this mainevent, but I know most people didn't care as much.

When you lay it all out like that, Im now certain this card is better than 297, evloev is a pretty borring fighter anyhow and that fight was kinda bullshit anyway. also If Mallot is a "hot prospect" there are way more, way better, way more entertaining "hot Prospects" on 301. It has bonfim, Jack shore, Da silva, Petrino, Brener, Caio Barallo and Lucindo.

The only thing Lacking is the main event, but this champ has practically cleared out his division, and few guys are injured.

If you'd rather watch pennington vs silva over martinez vs aldo, simply by virtue that it's a title fight, thus giving points to ufc 297 over 301...... You'd must be insane, Imo. This card has an MMA legend on it, you cannot say that about 297
Yeah the prelims are damn good and I'm excited for them with all the prospects and good matchmaking. I think the brazilians on the prelims have way tougher more interesting matchups. The maincard looks more like a showcase for the local talent but having Aldo back one of the most beloved fighters ever is making this event just intriguing enough to build hype for us hardcores.

Its above average for a FN card but definitely a poor PPV card.

It’s the coupon day of ppv cards , they should charge like 40$

I'm glad you're excited about a bunch of unranked guys on the prelims. They are good matchups for what they are, but Bonfim is coming off a loss, Shore was exposed not long ago, Silva is 2-3, etc. 297 was clearly the better PPV card. You can argue the 301 prelims are better, but nobodies paying for that.

It seems like people are not really interested about the fights and the sport, they only want watch when their own favorites fight.

Tbh, if you compare 301 and 302 on paper, 301 has guaranteed more potential bangers on it. The 302 looks really bad so far.

I'm glad you're excited about a bunch of unranked guys on the prelims. They are good matchups for what they are, but Bonfim is coming off a loss, Shore was exposed not long ago, Silva is 2-3, etc. 297 was clearly the better PPV card. You can argue the 301 prelims are better, but nobodies paying for that.
297 is not a better card in etertainment value, or name value.

Still rather watch aldo over pennington
Still rather watch petrino over Magny
Still rather watch Pereira over Curtis
Still rather watch Borralho over Evloev

Gonna have to agree to disagree, It's ONLY THE MAIN EVENT. nothing else about 297 is better.

Last edited:
Crazy they are charging a premium for it

Needed Goatan for a PPV

Even before we knew who was fighting on 298,299, and 300 you had to figure 301would be weak. Coming after those and before the June PPVs it just wasn't going to have much of interest at all.

There have been fight night cards much better than this but I'm still going to watch.

It's pretty poor. I'm considering skipping, and it would be the first time I've skipped ppv voluntarily in many years. Just not a single fight on the card that excites me, and that's pretty rare.

as are the next couple of cards, not sure when we will see a stacked card again

Back