Is Tony cecchine a bullshit artist?

Luke Rockholds (?) kick

Carmen_basilio's_left_hook
@White
Reaction score
So the catch wrestling person with a instructional DVD set supposedly is a bullshit artist is there any truth to this?

I've never watched his videos or trained under him, so my knowledge is limited, but... he came out with the DVDs in the mid-90s, when hardly anyone knew anything about submissions besides the Gracies (and a few other Brazillians), Gene Lebell and a few Japanese catch/Russian sambo guys. From what I understand, he had some good material, and even BJJ students learned a few things. So I wouldn't call him a scam artist. To me, a scammer either (1) teaches something of no value or (2) copies other people's materials. I don't think he copied others, because there was hardly anything to copy besides Gracie videos back then...and his style/teachings are very different (BJJ vs. catch).

Shonie Carter trained under him and had good things to say. Also, Mark Tripp and some other respected JJ/judo guys from the 1990s complimented him. Now whether he's modernized his teachings or whether they'd be helpful in 2017....I'm not sure. MMA and submission grappling have evolved a lot over the last 20 years.

There's also been some controversy about whether he really learned catch from Gotch or some other legend. To me, that's not really material--he somehow learned and taught catch before Josh Barnett...around the same time Frank Shamrock and Sakuraba were using it in NHB. He obviously learned it somewhere.

Last edited:
Back