Is Tommy Lee an underrated drummer.

TrevorRoss

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems like his ability on the drums has taken a backseat to his personal life to a point where people are dismissive of his talent. Listen to motleys self titled album without Vince! That's drum kit savagery!

It seems like his ability on the drums has taken a backseat to his personal life to a point where people are dismissive of his talent. Listen to motleys self titled album without Vince! That's drum kit savagery!
Although the b.s. that's part of his life media or self created i don't believe it ever took away from his playing.You don't have to care for his music to know the man has talent,he's always held it down for whoever he drums for with his timing being impeccable.The man is a human metronome ffs!I'm not a Motley fan but as far as drummers go in that genre the lad is one of the top of the list imo.But honestly my friend what do i know i'm a fucking guitarist! ;)

Maybe for what he does. I remember a long time ago he had a reality show where he went to college at the University of Nebraska and tried to join the marching band. He could barely do any of that drumming at all.

He was one of the better drummers of his era. Not earth shattering though.

Maybe for what he does. I remember a long time ago he had a reality show where he went to college at the University of Nebraska and tried to join the marching band. He could barely do any of that drumming at all.
Marching band is different than kit drumming. However it is built mostly on rudiments so it means he likely was self taught or never kept up with rudiments ta on his own. Also drummers say he sucks.

He was fairly basic but a good showman and entertainer. Great for his style but not the sort of guy I
imagine could pick up the sticks at any gig and fit in.

I would say he's not underrated. Some great drumming on the Dr. Feelgood album though, even unusually good for him.

Most of the stuff on that reality show was either scripted or exaggerated or flat out lies for drama. By all real reports he only had a short period of adjustment and then had no issues.

A lot of drummers and musicians give him respect as one of the better rock drummers of that era with great swing and feel and timing. While he is no Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy, he is also no Rikki Rocket or Stephen Sweet. He does have chops in the rock sense. Anyone who says otherwise is either an idiot or biased against the type of stuff he plays.

There are far better drummers than him that are under rated...He is a basic drummer that does stunts on stage...

Back