is the wrist considered a small joint?

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
the rules say no small joint manipulation.....i was just wondering if you applied some type of wrist lock would that be legal? ( i know they're taped this is hypothetical)

No, wristlocks are legal. They just don't work. Seagull lied to you.

No. Small joints are fingers and toes.

I've wondered about this before. Why do no fighters go for this? I did a Ninjitsu class once and they were all about the wristlocks. While I know they would only be applicable in a tiny amount of circumstances I thought it would come up in the Octagon at least every now and then. Also, BJJ has a couple of wristlocks from guard etc that we never see used.

Are these techniques really that useless, or do people just not train them?

I've wondered about this before. Why do no fighters go for this? I did a Ninjitsu class once and they were all about the wristlocks. While I know they would only be applicable in a tiny amount of circumstances I thought it would come up in the Octagon at least every now and then. Also, BJJ has a couple of wristlocks from guard etc that we never see used.

They might work in bjj, but when someone is punching you in the face its a little different I think... learned a bunch of them at royce gracie seminars but they seem more self defense/police officer/bouncer type techniques against untrained opponents rather than usable against professional fighters.

Wrist locks work just fine against poorly conditioned, untrained wanna be tough guys. They don't work so well against guys who condition their bodies to take punishment and who have the technical skills to see them coming and counter them. They also work better on guys with bare wrists, as opposed to guys whose wrists are stabilized by a half dozen layers of strategically placed tape.

Net, wrist locks work in a street fight against you average drunken asshole, but don't work so well in a cage against a trained fighter.

Wrist locks work just fine against poorly conditioned, untrained wanna be tough guys. They don't work so well against guys who condition their bodies to take punishment and who have the technical skills to see them coming and counter them. They also work better on guys with bare wrists, as opposed to guys whose wrists are stabilized by a half dozen layers of strategically placed tape.

Net, wrist locks work in a street fight against you average drunken asshole, but don't work so well in a cage against a trained fighter.

This right here is all you need.

They're probably too much of a hassle against trained fighters. Plus possibly getting mistaken for holding gloves.

wristlocks generally work better if you are bigger than another person, they can be pretty effective in bjj if you get a good hold with two hand as not many people expect it

in mma you got all the tape and glove in the way

Are there any fights on fight finder that ended by wrist lock? I don't know if I've ever seen one but there have to be a few.

Are there any fights on fight finder that ended by wrist lock? I don't know if I've ever seen one but there have to be a few.

Didn't Royce use a wrist lock when he had that big fattie in a omoplata,

Wrist locks absolutely can work against trained opponents, and no amount of "conditioning to take punishment" will help, any more than you can condition yourself to survive an armbar. While pretty rare, in BJJ competition guys can and do tap people with them even at the very highest level of competition. Here's Jacare breaking the wrist of BJJ champ Bruno Bastos in competition:

and another:

Claudio Calasans is also pretty infamous for tapping high-level guys with wrist locks.

I think the reason you don't see them in MMA is some combination of the vast majority of fighters not being familiar with them, and possibly some extra support the wrist gets from the heavy wrapping of the hands.

An old tma instructor used to go through a series of inter-connected wristlocks. Pretending to teach them but rushing so no-one could learn it. Deek

I think part of the reason they are never used in mma is because they're incredibly low percentage. think about it, these guys get their hands and wrists wrapped and then they wear gloves that provide additional support, I'm not sure you could get a properly wrapped up wrist to contort far enough to where a guy would need to tap out.

Its legal its just very difficult to pull off against an opponent trained in grappling. Wrist tape also makes it more difficult.

tape stabilizes your wrist a lot. Probably not likely to pull it off in an MMA match with taped wrist.

Back