Is the sun stronger than socio-economic conditions?

PubliusVentidius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Have you ever noticed how where there's a lot of sun there are no suicides while where there is little to no sun there are a lot of suicides? like even if the countries where there's a lot of sun are absolute poor war-torn hellholes and people would have more reasons to kill themselves, they don't. While in very rich countries where people have relatively very few problems but the sun doesn't show up often they kill themselves. Isn't that weird?
Maybe George Carlin was onto something and we should start worshipping it:

Didn't watch the video but there is a relationship between there is correlation between low amounts of vitamin D and depression.

There was a Northern Exposure episode where dude in Alaska was depressed in the winter. He got these sunlight glasses and got addicted to them. lol

d194f4c0ff32a887dfbc5e0bae52ecef--doctor-office-the-doctor.jpg

Quick search - https://www.healthline.com/health/depression-and-vitamin-d#risk-factors3

This is not really controversial.

There is a correlation but I am not sure there has been a study to show there causation.

I meant the OP's assertion the country's with more sun have less suicide. Although it makes sense at a glance, Japan isn't a cold depressing place in terms of weather but has one of the highest suicide rates. Korea also has a high suicide rate but that wasn't always the case. Socioeconomic conditions changed more than the weather did over the years. The OP's claim would be backed up by statistics of suicide and depression in various countries.

I don't get it..

I meant the OP's assertion the country's with more sun have less suicide. Although it makes sense at a glance, Japan isn't a cold depressing place in terms of weather but has one of the highest suicide rates. Korea also has a high suicide rate but that wasn't always the case. Socioeconomic conditions changed more than the weather did over the years. The OP's claim would be backed up by statistics of suicide and depression in various countries.

I don't get it..
We're poor af. But we're too happy to kill ourselves.

I know that if you google stats for the Seattle-Portland area of the US I believe they have the highest rates of suicide vs anywhere else in the US.

wait, you're filipino right? Do you live in the Philippines? I'm planning a trip there next month. Need to start a thread on it pronto
I just arrived earlier this month. Just google "things to do in Cebu". Manila is a shithole.

Lack of Vitamin D can affect your mood. People in Sunny places get lots of vitamin D, so they dont get this problem.

Now many sunny places like Africa, or 80s Colombia, or Haiti have lots of issues like murder, but I say you still have to be feeling pretty good about yourself, if you go around murdering people.

Back