Is the difference between eating an orange and drinking the juice just the fiber?

bobbylight**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was looking at the nutritional value of an orange vs. orange juice and it is pretty close except for the fiber. Is that the only benefit of eating the actual orange. I also looked up the GI of both and the orange is slightly lower at 42

Glycemic Index GI Orange

and the OJ has 53

Glycemic Index GI Orange Juice

So is juice really all that bad, or is it just a lack of fiber and a slightly higher GI?

I would link the nutritional facts that I found but they are from fitday.com and I don't think it would work because I am logged in.

but let me try...

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodV...-fndds2-fu29173&_s_FoodKey=s-fndds2-f61119010

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodView.html?_a_Date=1252368000.&_s_FoodKey=s-fndds2-f61210000

Caloric density is the difference, and it is significant. It is far easier to over-consume juice (i.e., stuff yourself with sugar) than it is to over-consume whole fruit.

But why do I even bother answering when it becomes more and more apparent that you are trolling...

Caloric density is the difference, and it is significant. It is far easier to over-consume juice (i.e., stuff yourself with sugar) than it is to over-consume whole fruit.

But why do I even bother answering when it becomes more and more apparent that you are trolling...

I'm not trolling, just curious. I gave the reasoning behind my argument. You didn't even disagree with me really...you just said that its easier to drink too much OJ.

Stick with the fruit man. You dont want all the sugar in the juice. Im sure some nutritional value disappears by the time its juiced and bottled.

I'm not trolling, just curious. I gave the reasoning behind my argument. You didn't even disagree with me really...you just said that its easier to drink too much OJ.

No, I didn't disagree or agree with you...either would only be possible if you had submitted a point to be debated.

Seriously, I'm trying to help you...stop being "curious" and just go to work on your diet.

And no, obviously, your diet shouldn't include fruit juice. Fruit juice=glorified sugar water, and for someone who is already obese, you certainly don't need that.

But all these points are readily apparent in the stickies. Heck, even Berardi's 7 covers this EXPLICITLY, and there's no way you can miss The 7 Habits in the stickies.

I think the correct way to look at it is to see how much juice that orange actually produces and compare. Overconsumption is a much bigger problem with sugar than GI (which can be altered by consuming other foods anyway)

an orange holds 2oz of juice. the cup you fill with tropicana holds 8oz.

My stab at this, no food guru.

Could you possibly drink more than you would when you got tired of peeling oranges....of course. But, i never heard of any dieing from drinking too much OJ. On the flip side, you could die from drinking too much water. But, that would be saying that running water in your house increases the chances of that happening.

I will agree that even organic juices just taste too sweet for me at times.....i just mix them down with water in the bottle. it becomes more refreshing and less after taste.

My stab at this, no food guru.

Could you possibly drink more than you would when you got tired of peeling oranges....of course. But, i never heard of any dieing from drinking too much OJ. On the flip side, you could die from drinking too much water. But, that would be saying that running water in your house increases the chances of that happening.

I will agree that even organic juices just taste too sweet for me at times.....i just mix them down with water in the bottle. it becomes more refreshing and less after taste.

What about the the fatal conditions related to obesity, which over-consumption of sugar most definitely leads to?

an orange holds 2oz of juice. the cup you fill with tropicana holds 8oz.

This. That's also assuming you're talking about OJ whose ingredients are one item long: Juiced Oranges.

Plenty of juice out there is made from concentrate, whose ingredient list is 5+ items long, including added sugar.

1 fresh orange: 50-80cals depending on size

1 8oz glass orange juice: 120ish

I'm not really sure what the micronutrient difference is between the two, but I'd definitely say to stick with the actual fruit.

basically people will tell you to stay away from anything processed

fruit is good but fruit is also full of sugar... it would probably be best to eat the real thing...since oj is stripped down and condensed...

if your trying to lose weight...look at it like this ...carbs/sugars are energy food....dont eat carbs unless you need energy...and thats it...

really the only time i drink juice is before or after i workout...if i'm dieing and need a quick boost...

Back