Is "Tank" Abbot Worthy of the UFC HOF?

Should "Tank" Abbott be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
MMA Record: 10-15
UFC Record: 8-10

UFC accomplishments:
UFC 6 finalist
Ultimate Ultimate 96 finalist
UFC 15 heavyweight title challenger

I know some will say he never actually held any titles and is therefore not deserving. However, there are pro football players, in the pro football hall of fame, that made contributions to the sport but never won a title. So, maybe winning a title alone isn't the extent of the measuring stick. At the very least, Tank Abbot provided entertaining fights and highlight reel knock outs that drew in fans in the early days of the UFC:

25-abbottvsmatua1.gif

tank-ko-nelmark-o.gif

tank-knockout-o.gif

tank1-1024x576.png

nbQDHQW.jpg

Last edited:
No. He was entertaining but that's about it.

I vote yes but not on the merits of his skill, or win loss record. Rather because he was an awesome legend who helped put mma on the map.

He deserves to be in there for his quotes alone.

“I’ll bet he wishes he had that other pectoral muscle right about now.” – Tank Abbott commenting on Tra Telligman

People could identify with a big, bearded, heavy-handed guy with attitude, much more than with the Gracies holding guard for hours on end (that's still the case today, too).

Tank was a genuine MMArtist, too- in that he was an effective KO puncher with solid wrestling, and had the persona and mic skills which are important in sports entertainment (you'll see good fights in any MMA gym around the world, but people don't pay money to see them- for that, the buzz, storyline, personalities and all that count a lot.)

Remember Kimo carrying the cross to the Octagon?! LOL

I'm only a 'white belt' here, but I've watched UFC since the original UFC 2 video tape came out, like 20 years ago!

Yes. He was the first real UFC draw.

I think anyone who was watching the original UFC's, when it was something new, would perceive Tank as the first real "over-the-top" UFC personality. He was definitely a star in the early UFC's and all the shit talkers that came after him were imitators. Plus, he provided some brutal knock-outs and entertaining fights. Maybe it is harder to appreciate Tank's contribution if you are newer to the sport and some of the things he did do not seem as unique anymore.

yes he should because of him half the rules were put in place.. the one I like most is you cant throw your opponent over the cage

I don't think so.

How could you deny this beard?
method=get&s=tank-abbott-05-30-2014-11-53-2-231.jpg

depends on the criteria for the UFC HOF, if you are talking strictly win-loss and title credentials then NO

I think his KO of Cabbage was the most impressive. Cabbage had never been KO'd like that before.

Looking at his record, he didn't really beat anyone of note, but the ones he did beat were usually exciting fights IMO

absolutely but according to sherdog you are not worthy unless you are a champion which is completely ridiculous

Yes, Tank was the first to wear modern MMA gloves... Melton was wearing weight lifting gloves

Will be honest, the first I knew about MMA was when Tank wrestled for WCW when I was young(er). Thats I think they first time i ever heard of UFC or "Cage fighting" as it was called over here back then.

Tank certainly one of the biggest personalities over the early days, so yes, should be in the HOF

Back