Is Shavkat overhyped?

18-0 with 100% finish rate and wins over top ten fighters (Neal and Thompson), he deserves the hype he's getting.

I don’t see him keeping his perfect record throughout his career with how much he gets hit, but he is definitely the real deal and a tough fight for anyone

no he is not overhyped. because he has proven himself every step of the way. of course he has some flaws but his strengths set him apart. he is very offensive and it leaves him open at times, but he will always look for the finish. he comes forward to do damage and control and is willing to engage, maybe a bit too much at times.

but he can finish his opponents in the first round or the last round, because he is always looking to inflict damage and finish. you dont get a 100% finish rate with 10 (t)ko's and 8 submissions 18 fights into your carreer and be called overhyped
This. He's fought frequently and won dominantly or at worst decisively, and often explosively. Does he look invincible? No, but he's very good, very well-rounded, and very exciting to watch. Will always root for him.

"you dont get a 100% finish rate with 10 (t)ko's and 8 submissions 18 fights into your carreer and be called overhyped"
/thread

I'm talking overhyped as in everyone is talking about him running the division and I don't see him beating Leon without improvements in his game.
Well at least he is not being called the future MMA GOAT. 3 weight champ and other bullshit. Where a lot of the champs for years were been called the GOAT because they won a lot of fights against nobodies. But at a certain point they all failed.

Izzy, Usman, Alex V, Alex P. None was or ever will be a UFC divisional GOAT. Islam has a great chance. But it’s a low number of defences to overtake every other UFC LW champion.

But I haven’t seen much more than a lot of people thinking he has a good chance of becoming the UFC WW champion.

He's being treated as the boogeyman of the welterweight division, the guy whose going to take the belt and run the division. But imo his last two fights have revealed two flaws in his current skill set.

1. His offensive takedown game is average. He struggled against Neal. And while he did eventually get Wonderboy down in the second, a high level wrestler should have manhandled Wonderboy from the opening round.

2. His striking defense is pretty poor. He's very easy to hit. He's showing a great chin but the fact he's getting hit like that is not a great sign for career longevity.

Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing talent and that perfect finishing rate is insane. But I don't see the guy who fought Geoff Neal beating Leon Edwards. Leon is the better striker and has already handled the two best wrestlers in the division. I'm rooting for Shavkat as Leon is fairly boring to watch but I wouldn't favor him as of now.

He is really good but beatable

The only thing he's shown us is insane toughness and world class, well rounded skills. Comes out to fights with a dead animal pelt on his head and always goes for the kill. Imagine trying to fade this guy. 🤡

This is exactly how the Shavkat vs Neal fight was going until he decided to throw down in the third. Garry's performance was just a more boring version of Shavkat's without the finish, while acting like a clown, which is where most of the criticism stemmed from.

Edit - My issue also isn't with your assessment of his skillset/ability, it's the typical disingenuous nitpicking used to devalue wins/records. If the rank squatters above him would pony up and accept his call-outs, perhaps he would be able to fight stronger competition.
You call me disingenuous while you continue to talk about things which absolutely never happened in the Shavkat vs Neal fight.

It didn't resemble Neal vs Garry whatsoever. Shavkat didn't get touched until he decided to brawl in round 3? He was eating shots and defending punches with his face, while whiffing on takedowns all fight long. Like I said previously. People see what they want to see clearly, you only continue to enforce this point.

Rank squatters? Sure Colby fits the bill as he refuses to fight anybody under 40 and coming off a win, but Burns will fight anybody. Usman isn't in the division right now. Leon is the champ and Shavkat hasn't really earned one right now, and despite that already accepted the fight for UFC 300, it was Shavkat that said no. Belal has earned a title fight and would be stupid to accept a different fight right now.

Speaking of call-outs though. Della Maddalena has been calling Shavkat out for the better part of 3 years at this point. That's the logical fight to make for the #1 contendership.

He's being treated as the boogeyman of the welterweight division, the guy whose going to take the belt and run the division. But imo his last two fights have revealed two flaws in his current skill set.

1. His offensive takedown game is average. He struggled against Neal. And while he did eventually get Wonderboy down in the second, a high level wrestler should have manhandled Wonderboy from the opening round.

2. His striking defense is pretty poor. He's very easy to hit. He's showing a great chin but the fact he's getting hit like that is not a great sign for career longevity.

Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing talent and that perfect finishing rate is insane. But I don't see the guy who fought Geoff Neal beating Leon Edwards. Leon is the better striker and has already handled the two best wrestlers in the division. I'm rooting for Shavkat as Leon is fairly boring to watch but I wouldn't favor him as of now.
He fought Wonderboy with a ruptured tendon in his foot, and still subbed him which nobody else has been able to do.

The way everyone was hyping him, I was surprised at how hittable he was against Geoff, he took way too much damage to be the supposed boogeyman of the division

The way everyone was hyping him, I was surprised at how hittable he was against Geoff, he took way too much damage to be the supposed boogeyman of the division
They can't all be easy but they can all be wins

You call me disingenuous while you continue to talk about things which absolutely never happened in the Shavkat vs Neal fight.

It didn't resemble Neal vs Garry whatsoever. Shavkat didn't get touched until he decided to brawl in round 3? He was eating shots and defending punches with his face, while whiffing on takedowns all fight long. Like I said previously. People see what they want to see clearly, you only continue to enforce this point.

Rank squatters? Sure Colby fits the bill as he refuses to fight anybody under 40 and coming off a win, but Burns will fight anybody. Usman isn't in the division right now. Leon is the champ and Shavkat hasn't really earned one right now, and despite that already accepted the fight for UFC 300, it was Shavkat that said no. Belal has earned a title fight and would be stupid to accept a different fight right now.

Speaking of call-outs though. Della Maddalena has been calling Shavkat out for the better part of 3 years at this point. That's the logical fight to make for the #1 contendership.

I thought Shavkat was fighting JDM next sir.

Im not sure if it has been made official uet, but that's why I was asking you lol.
The event is official. UFC 305 for Perth. I don't think they've announced any fights yet though.

Just Rogan saying Topuria said no to the Volk rematch.

The event is official. UFC 305 for Perth. I don't think they've announced any fights yet though.

Just Rogan saying Topuria said no to the Volk rematch.

I thought they announced a couple of the fights for that card...I think I'm going senile ffs lol

Back