Is rotten tomatoes reliable anymore?

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I remember when RT was starting out and it was a good indication of a movies quality.

Now I feel like RT is being manipulated by movie studios and that movie critics are failing to review movies in a vacuum meaning reviewing the movie for what it is. Rather they review movies it seems based on the popular ideas or agendas of the era.

Am i having rose colored glasses here or has RT really been corrupted as I think it has?

Only when they like the movies you like. If not then they're biased garbage

Get Out and Lady Bird are the highest rated movies on it so that should tell you all you need to know

I check it out as a source, my first source, and if it's Against the obvious, I dig further.

Same as you should be with anything

People don't understand how Rotten Tomatoes work. It doesn't score how high reviewers rank a movie. All it does is count the amount of reviewers who gave it a positive review.

So if 50/50 reviewers give a movie a 60/100 (just barely above average) it will be 100% fresh. That doesn't mean its an amazing movie, it just means everyone who saw it thought it was decent.

What this means is that movies that appeal to a wider audience (aka Disney movies) are more likely to have higher scores than movies that take risks, are out of the box, or make you think.

People don't understand how Rotten Tomatoes work. It doesn't score how high reviewers rank a movie. All it does is count the amount of reviewers who gave it a positive review.

So if 50/50 reviewers give a movie a 60/100 (just barely above average) it will be 100% fresh. That doesn't mean its an amazing movie, it just means everyone who saw it thought it was decent.

What this means is that movies that appeal to a wider audience (aka Disney movies) are more likely to have higher scores than movies that take risks, are out of the box, or make you think.
More garbage apologism.

I have always fully understood every aspect of RT, and none of this addresses the inexplicable ratings inflation (particularly for blockbuster studio films) that has undeniably arisen since the inception of the website.
Oh shut up.
Keep your head in the sand.

More garbage apologism.

I have always fully understood every aspect of RT, and none of this addresses the inexplicable ratings inflation (particularly for blockbuster studio films) that has undeniably arisen since the inception of the website.

Keep your head in the sand.

Keep yours out of your ass.

It’s information. How you interpret and use that information is up to you.

I only use it for movies I’m iffy about and will more than likely read the actual reviews instead of just the scores and/or percentage.

Keep yours out of your ass.
Better there than up Disney's where you have yours.

You're being a tool for corporate studio Hollywood.
It’s information. How you interpret and use that information is up to you.

I only use it for movies I’m iffy about and will more than likely read the actual reviews instead of just the scores and/or percentage.
It's corrupted information. Corrupted data sets are never useful.

Yeah we know dude.

Get Out and Lady Bird are the highest rated movies on it so that should tell you all you need to know

I enjoyed get out a lot. Not sure if its the perfect film as some people seem to think

Back