Is Ross Enamait the Holy Grail of Strength & Conditioning?

YukisHeart

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know the answer is probably "No, we all have different goals, etc.", but I just find him so impressive.

People who are into S&C tend to become enthusiasts for one thing or another. Sometimes it's acquiring an insane grip, sometimes it's shifting mad weight in the Big 3, sometimes it's mastery of bodyweight techniques and calisthenics, sometimes it's a certain type of conditioning, with a lot of hill sprints, kettlebells, sledgehammer work and so on.

There's often some cross-over, but it's unusual that anyone gets really good at more than a couple of things, because who has the time to really nail down high-level goals in so many different areas, without sacrificing performance?

[YT]F2KhOikihvE[/YT]​

Ross Enamait, apparently. He's not just shifting big weight, he's also great with the jump rope, beats the shit out of the tyre, does dragon flags with ankle weights (!), cranks out handstand TRX push-ups in a weighted vest...

From what I understand, he doesn't like being held up as some kind of standard, but damn. He's so good at so many different things — and all while being primarily a boxing coach rather than a strength and conditioning guy.

Last edited:
I'll probably catch some shit for this, but I think there are several Crossfit guys that are just as well rounded, stronger, and possibly better conditioned.

I'll probably catch some shit for this, but I think there are several Crossfit guys that are just as well rounded, stronger, and possibly better conditioned.

Which ones in particular do you like? I only really know Rich Froning, although there are a couple more I would recognise that don't come immediately to mind, I think.

The stuff they do is pretty impressive, IMO. The main issues with them seem to be...

• They don't really train Crossfit for Crossfit
  • The Olympic lifts are performed dangerously
  • Kipping is bullshit

Also, how old is Ross?

Last edited:
I don't really follow Crossfit, but nowadays, the standard is getting pretty high to where the guys at the top are pretty strong while being well rounded. I honestly can't name them though. I'm just saying that I think there are A LOT of athletes in this world above Ross - and that's not a knock on Ross or what he does. The standard is pretty high right now.

So we are talking Strength and conditioning for what sport(s)?

His feats are pretty impressive in the video.

He's a beast no doubt, but he doesn't work on everything at the same time. Sure he has certain things that he likes to be consistent with, but he does rotate different things in and out depending on what his current priorities are. Periodization and all that.

Ross would check all their glass jaws.

People cant fully appreciate the Ross until theyve completed his programs. They dont look that difficult on paper, but it quickly becomes a grueling feat.

Plus he jumps rope in the snow.

And deadlifted 5 plates in his very first attempt.

He's a beast no doubt, but he doesn't work on everything at the same time. Sure he has certain things that he likes to be consistent with, but he does rotate different things in and out depending on what his current priorities are. Periodization and all that.

That's actually a big, and positive, factor in "Rosstraining"... from building static programs based on his books and whats written in there, to specific advice he has given me personally through corespondence, Ross Enamait always encourages you to be training for your current goals. I remember him once saying "If you're training for a 20 minute round, train for a 20 minute round" which kind of sums it up.

His forum is great because he responds to people directly, but even his books are worth a read.

I have been following Ross for about some years now, discovered his 'Rossboxing' website through a youtube vid I stumbled accross with him doing some crazy stuff.

I personally believe he's brilliant, overall the best I've ever seen online. He doesn't massively self promote though, so that's why many others are more well known.

He draws experience from many different disciplines such as old-school strongman, which I really like. His blog makes fantastic reading with great links. He's very much an advovate of 'low tech, high effect' training... very much a Rocky 4 approach. On his forum there's a dedicated 'home made gym equipment' page which is brilliant (and I've made some of the stuff from there too!)

I've bought a couple of his online DVDs, and his PDFs are absolutely brilliant.

He's not a professional athlete, he doesn't do crossfit and I imagine he never will... but I'm sure he'd do very well if he did.

In regards to being the Holy Grail.. I'm sure he'd laugh at that... it's all to do with application and being dedicated to what you do. Ross himself is an absolute beast, pretty sure he's about 40 but is in incredible shape and from his mentality of being strong in every direction.. I'm pretty sure that he's immensely well rounded in a physical sense.

Check his website out: rosstraining , have a look on youtube and facebook.

I don't really follow Crossfit, but nowadays, the standard is getting pretty high to where the guys at the top are pretty strong while being well rounded. I honestly can't name them though. I'm just saying that I think there are A LOT of athletes in this world above Ross - and that's not a knock on Ross or what he does. The standard is pretty high right now.

Rich Froning would be the obvious example.

In kettlebell sport, Ivan Denisov and Alexander Khovotstov would probably be similar in roundedness (Ivan is probably flat-out better at raw strength and raw endurance, but he is also MUCH LARGER than Ross)

Pick a decathalete or male olympic gymnast.

Ross would check all their glass jaws.

People cant fully appreciate the Ross until theyve completed his programs. They dont look that difficult on paper, but it quickly becomes a grueling feat.

Plus he jumps rope in the snow.

And deadlifted 5 plates in his very first attempt.

That wasn't Ross's first time ever deadlifting.

You're probably right here... you won't be catching any shit from me for saying it...

But the fact that he's even mentioned in the same breath as people who are fully sponsored athletes, who work at the whole range of physical fitness as a full time job... and who are probably 10-15yrs younger... when he's just a dude training at home on his own with a lot of equipment that's home-made...

It's quite something when you think about it.

Rich Froning would be the obvious example.

In kettlebell sport, Ivan Denisov and Alexander Khovotstov would probably be similar in roundedness (Ivan is probably flat-out better at raw strength and raw endurance, but he is also MUCH LARGER than Ross)

Pick a decathalete or male olympic gymnast.

Ivan Denisov is some sort of Terminator. He just never stops. I know that many guys on this forum have no respect for power endurance as a measure of strength (as opposed to max lift in the big 3), but his world record long cycle vid etc. blow my mind every time I watch them.

Ivan Denisov is some sort of Terminator. He just never stops. I know that many guys on this forum have no respect for power endurance as a measure of strength (as opposed to max lift in the big 3), but his world record long cycle vid etc. blow my mind every time I watch them.

The world's most lispy terminator.

I don't hang in the S&C area of Sherdog so have never been exposed to that... but I think it would be silly to ignore any element of physical ability over another in this sense.. People talk a lot of shit though.. Broscience dude.

That wasn't Ross's first time ever deadlifting.

it was his first serious max attempt. So yeah, he may have done it occasionally along with similar movements via sandbags and dumbells, but he never regularly barbell lifted at that point.

it was his first serious max attempt. So yeah, he may have done it occasionally along with similar movements via sandbags and dumbells, but he never regularly barbell lifted at that point.

I agree. At that point in time, he was strength training around 3 times per week. It wasn't necessarily barbell training, but he was doing a lot of dumbbell training, sandbag training, keg work, etc. A lot of people act as though he was only doing BW training or something. I'm not shocked a guy with his athletic background who was training strength 3x per week pulled 500 lbs.

IMO:

marinovich-1-popup.jpg

Anyone who can turn this...

fatbj.jpg

Into this...

tumblr_m6xau7PaOS1ry1rm7o1_500.gif

Is da boss.

PIkprkZ.gif

Back