Is poverty a problem in the US?

$80k programming jobs in San Francisco with only 6 months of training? Are some of you for real? My high school friend did a 4 year computer engineering degree and he started at $65k. He hasn't even hit $80k yet after 3 years of working in San Francisco.

The delusion is strong with that one. I am an operations manager with a large security firm, and I don't make $80k even with bonuses. I actually have a bachelor's degree and 4 years of management experience. To suggest a person can start from zero to making that much suggest a lack of awareness of the actual job market.

Beleive it or not, but I have an acquaintance that did essentially that. He took a coding bootcamp course, then got a job at Google less than 3 months after he finished. I can't speak to his salary, but it's in NYC, so I'm guessing it's not a small figure.

That's pretty true, though $1300 is still a lot. That's like a mortgage on a fucking house. Even when I lived in full-fledged apartments, the rent was never over a thousand dollars.

But my point stands: If you're able to afford that much in rent then you're not poor.

How is living in SLC? Ever have LDS members come over for lemon water?

How is living in SLC? Ever have LDS member come over for lemon water?

I really like it here. I've been here since 2007, and if I had gotten here and didn't like it then I would've just gone somewhere else. But this place has a way of winning you over.

What I appreciate most is that it's the kind of city that has a lot of big city amenities (decent-sized dating pool, pro sports teams, cultural offerings like traveling Broadway shows, symphony, etc) without a lot of the big city problems (crime, gridlocked traffic).

And no, I've never had an LDS member in my house.

I really like it here. I've been here since 2007, and if I had gotten here and didn't like it then I would've just gone somewhere else. But this place has a way of winning you over.

What I appreciate most is that it's the kind of city that has a lot of big city amenities (decent-sized dating pool, pro sports teams, cultural offerings like traveling Broadway shows, symphony, etc) without a lot of the big city problems (crime, gridlocked traffic).

Good thing. Who wants to have to fumigate and burn the furniture?

We have valedictorians from inner city schools that score 11 on the ACT exams. That there shows you how screwed people are in the shitty urban areas right from the start.

not in the same vein as other countries.

but like everywhere, poverty is a breeding ground for gangs, cartels, and the like. so that is a problem.

Sounds interesting. Utah is one of those states I wouldn’t mind visiting. I watched the show Big Love, which takes mostly in Sandy and it seemed like a nice little place to raise a family.

And I was kidding about LDS stuff but you cant help not think of the LDS when you hear Utah.

Google pulled this up first hit:

Child Poverty
About 15 million children in the United States – 21% of all children – live in families with incomes below the federal poverty threshold, a measurement that has been shown to underestimate the needs of families. Research shows that, on average, families need an income of about twice that level to cover basic expenses. Using this standard, 43% of children live in low-income families.

Most of these children have parents who work, but low wages and unstable employment leave their families struggling to make ends meet. Poverty can impede children’s ability to learn and contribute to social, emotional, and behavioral problems. Poverty also can contribute to poor health and mental health. Risks are greatest for children who experience poverty when they are young and/or experience deep and persistent poverty.

Research is clear that poverty is the single greatest threat to children’s well-being. But effective public policies – to make work pay for low-income parents and to provide high-quality early care and learning experiences for their children – can make a difference. Investments in the most vulnerable children are also critical.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Um yeah, that's a problem.

Sounds interesting. Utah is one of those states I wouldn’t mind visiting. I watched the show Big Love, which takes mostly in Sandy and it seemed like a nice little place to raise a family.

And I was kidding about LDS stuff but you cant help not think of the LDS when you hear Utah.

Yeah, Sandy is just a suburb to the south of Salt Lake. Personally, I live like half a block outside of downtown in a trendy little neighborhood called the Avenues. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

As for the LDS church, they really do have a great amount of influence around here. It's most notably seen in the weird liquor laws. But they also influence things for the better as well. Salt Lake tends to be a relatively safe place to live with generally nice people and I know that's at least partially due to the influence of Mormonism.

We keep our poor hidden in bad areas or projects. We do provide them with welfare and lots of other perks that come out of our taxes. Sometimes they do drift into our areas, but we make them feel uncomfortable or call the cops and they go back home.
Exactly how it is in CT bro.

I ran a store in Seattle for a bit, years ago. There would constantly be homeless people walking in, grabbing stuff and walking out. One day a homeless guy came in fucked up, cussing his wife out in front of everyone. I threatened to call the police and that didn't phase him. He just ignored me. All the other customers and the employees laughed at me as i tried everything to get him out of the store. Where I'm from, if you call the police to get someone out of the store, the police show up. In Seattle, nobody gives a fuck. Youre just supposed to let people walk all over you and steal from you while smiling.

Ill never work in Seattle again, that place is a liberal hell hole.

/rant

Dude you can do a free course with a high school degree like http://www.freecodecamp.com and make like $80,000 . Poverty is a personal choice.

The only way to take poor Americans out of poverty is to take away all their freedom and force them to make good decisions or just give them tons of free shit. In America, people are poor because they want to be. They're poor because of things inside themselves, not circumstances outside their control.

tenor.gif

Ask some of the many drugged out homeless who for some reason are able to care for an unleashed dog but not themselves? Maybe they shouldn't have a dog.

Back