Is Olympic Boxing defined as full contact despite the rules and is the quality higher?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Given that proper technique is awarded first and foremost, is the technical quality of Olympic Boxning as a result higher than in Pro Boxing bouts?

And is the contact level defined as full contact, even though knockdowns don't give additional points?

Not really. Most Olympians are young guys who improve as fighters when they turn pro and gain more experience. It's pretty rare that a great boxer sticks around for too long in the Olympics like a Lomachenko or Rigo.

There are also a lot of technical aspects of professional boxing that you do not see in the Olympics as often because of the scoring system. For example, you don't tend to see a lot of highly technical infighting in the Olympics. It may not be pretty, but it actually is very technical at times.

Not really. Most Olympians are young guys who improve as fighters when they turn pro and gain more experience. It's pretty rare that a great boxer sticks around for too long in the Olympics like a Lomachenko or Rigo.

There are also a lot of technical aspects of professional boxing that you do not see in the Olympics as often because of the scoring system. For example, you don't tend to see a lot of highly technical infighting in the Olympics. It may not be pretty, but it actually is very technical at times.

How about the contact level? Is it defined as full contact?

How about the contact level? Is it defined as full contact?

I don't know, but I don't see why it wouldn't. You are hitting each other as hard as you can, regardless of the point system.

I don't know, but I don't see why it wouldn't. You are hitting each other as hard as you can, regardless of the point system.

Are they really? Have you read the rule stipulation? Knockdowns are irrelevant to the scoring.

. For example, you don't tend to see a lot of highly technical infighting in the Olympics. It may not be pretty, but it actually is very technical at times.

Any boxing coach worth his salt should drill you in that to no end no matter if you're pro or not.

Given that proper technique is awarded first and foremost, is the technical quality of Olympic Boxning as a result higher than in Pro Boxing bouts?
Are you suggesting poor technique is rewarded in pro boxing?

Is it known as Olympic Boxing in the US? I'd usually call it Amateur Boxing but anyway, with the head guards and 'computer scoring' it seemed to be going more like fencing and not boxing when combinations were pointless as they didn't score so a single obvious punch that connected was what scored but now it's back to boxing so it's more a pro boxing lite.

I don't see why not getting a point for a knockdown would mean it's not full contact, they're back to using a 10 point must system. Are there examples of fighter getting a knockdown and losing the round?

Fighters seem to improve physically an technically when they turn pro so I wouldn't say the technical level is higher, what's the average for an Olympic medallist to fight for a pro belt? About 4 years as a pro and 15-20 fights?

Are they really? Have you read the rule stipulation? Knockdowns are irrelevant to the scoring.
No they don't because they aren't sitting down on their punches, landing a punch is good enough as opposed to landing a KO blow. The focus is on scoring shots and they don't have to be KO blows. They are still definitely throwing full contact though, that would be stupid to suggest otherwise.

Back