• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Leon Edwards a top 3 WW all time?

No way.

GSP
Hughes
Lawler
Woodley
Usman

All way ahead. Maybe even more like Condit.

Coby is not a good win.

Not even close. Lawler smashed the hopes, dreams and faces of top level competition during his 2nd UFC stint. Leon has a stoppage of Usman to prop himself up with. Usman wins are great but not the the fukn woodchipper that was Lawler during his run.
Some people get off on numbers but a 8 fight streak can be better than a 13 fight streak.

He is absolutely not number 3.

And neither is Hughes why do people keep pumping him up?

It’s a prime for prime comparison GSP barely makes number 3 too

I think we should also consider the STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE, not just the win/loss data... Leon's path in the UFC has been... NOT THAT spectacular, if we are talking in "GOAT" terms... some posters laughed about the idea of Wonderboy being ahead of Leon, but let's take a look at Thompson's UFC schedule, notable opponents:

Matt Brown (as his second (!) UFC fight)
Whittaker
Coté
Ellenberger
Hendricks
MacDonald
Woodley
Woodley
Masvidal
Till
Pettis
Luque
Neal
Burns
Belal
Holland
Shavkat

Sorry, but that's insane. In itself, AND compared to Leon's schedule:

His first 6 (!) fights are 5 nobodies and UFC debutant (!) Usman.
Then he fights Luque, a greener, lesser version of what Thompson faced later.
Barbarena... hmm...
Cerrone
Gunnar
RDA
Belal
Nate Diaz (LW) at his worst, and then:
Usman
Usman
Covington

Yes, RDA is probably his fourth toughest fight... Belal his fifth... and then... well, "not too much cream".

Sorry, but it's... rather THIN... Thompson did beat Whittaker, Coté, Ellenberger, Hendricks, MacDonald, Masvidal, Luque, Neal, Holland, drew with Woodley... this is a heavier win list for me than Leon's... yes, he did lost a bunch, but again, in a THICK, THICK schedule...

everyone who is on a streak and before they losse their title and collect losses, will look goatish top 3. That being said Leon only lost to Usman who he is 2-1 now against, a DQ loss, and like a split decision in his UFC debut. Defintely as of for now looks to be far up in WW talks. But let´s see once he losses his title and after that the fights.
But realistically there´s GSP at 1, then somwhere Matt Huges, Usman is there. Robbie has a few losses , Hendricks fell of a cliff. I guess we can have GSP 1 then after him Usman, Huges and Leon of the rest of the top 4. But things chance a lot in a year or two. Tyron was so inactive and went out on a couple losses. Can´t compare eras.

Clearly number 2. Any other ranking is purely uneducated.
Any discussion that doesn't have those three solidly in positions 1 to 3 is entirely retarded.

Hell, it's pretty hard to argue that the top 4 aren't currently locked in pretty solidly with Woodley.

Sometimes I think most of the people on this site joined in the Conor era or later.

Given his recent streak and quality of opposition I think it's an interesting discussion to have whether Leon Edwards is a top 3 WW of all time.

I think most of us would agree that #1 and #2 spots are occupied by GSP and Usman. So that leaves the question open as to who could be #3?

I think there are only three candidates left who could have a claim to that #3 spot: Leon, Hughes, and Woodley.

So does Leon make the cut for top 3?
No.
GSP
Hughes
Usman

lol. seems like people jump to conclusions even faster these days than before. which is saying a lot.

No! GSP is WAY ahead of everyone, then Usman and Hughes are WAY ahead of everyone else. He has a good case for 4-5 though

He’s only just got started (at least with his title defences). He’s doing just fine. Let’s revisit end of next year. He could be on 4 defences by then (depending on the Shavecat problem).

Given his recent streak and quality of opposition I think it's an interesting discussion to have whether Leon Edwards is a top 3 WW of all time.

I think most of us would agree that #1 and #2 spots are occupied by GSP and Usman. So that leaves the question open as to who could be #3?

I think there are only three candidates left who could have a claim to that #3 spot: Leon, Hughes, and Woodley.

So does Leon make the cut for top 3?
Let his career run its course before evaluating.

Absolutely not. Lower part of the top 10, if that.

Top 3 WW is pretty set in stone: GSP, then Usman and Hughes.

Leon made the most of the circumstances he had, but defending against Colby is sort of weak. I'm not even certain he's the best WW right now. Had the Khamzat fight went through he probably wouldn't have even got a title shot. Now Shavkat and Belal are ready and I would be shocked if Edwards made it through both of them in 2024.

Not yet he's not. He's gonna have the defend a couple more times. It won't take much to have him top 3. I think another two more defenses will put him there.

Realistically, if he defends two more times vs Belal and Shavkat, he should be ahead of Usman.

Edwards isn't top 5 yet IMO though he is very close.

1. GSP
2. Hughes
3. Usman
4. Woodley
5. Lawler

Back