is Khamzat the most "goalpost-moved" fighter ever?

He is a good fighter, but he really is still unproven. He has had close fights with welterwieghts twice now, and other guys have neaten the guys he did in more dominant fashion.

I dont wanna crap on either Burns or Usman, they are both very good wins. I just dont think eitger performance screams "future dominant champ" and tbh I think Robert will beat him up and win a UD.
I share pretty much exactly the same thoughts.

Oh he's still high level but not the fighter that beat Yoel twice.

He gets past the rd 1 I like his chances alot

I'm not so sure, he seems about the same but IMO Yoel gets overrated a little bit so that might be why I don't agree.

Khamzat was meant to steamroll through Burns, smesh the entire division and be champion by now.

We all know who's really moving the goalposts.

To be fair, whatever is going on with his Visa status is definitely a factor. I think he would have fought a time or two more at least if that wasnt a factor.

Though I am curious what the hell is going on with that.

Whittaker is coming off of a very impressive performance against no-USADA Costa and ppl are already acting like hes washed up, just to discredit a potential Khamzat win.

He has a lot of haters so its to be expected. Its okay tho, polarized fighters get paid more than a cookie cutter fighter that nobody cares about.

Last edited:
TS has shit memory or is a liar cause everyone was saying Kamaru would get smoked.
After his fights:

- He will be a 2 weight class champ
- He'll destroy everyone
- 170 is too much of a cut
- Smaller weight cut Khamzat will be a killer
- He's a solid 185'er
- He did ok in the UFC.

I've honestly never seen anything like this.

BEFORE: "He will be exposed the second he fights someone towards the top of the division. So much hype"
THEN: *steamrolls Li without taking one hit*
AFTER: "lol Li sucks"

BEFORE: "He will be exposed. Finally he is fighting a real WW!"
THEN: *beats top 3 Burns who is a stylistic nightmare in a FOTY*
AFTER: "lol Burns is a LW and should have won"

BEFORE: "He will be exposed. Kevin is the true fighter of 2020 not Khamzat."
THEN: *steamrolls Kevin without taking one hit*
AFTER: "lol Kevin sucks"

BEFORE: "He will be exposed. Kamaru is so much better. Khamzat has no way to win."
THEN: *one fight removed from an extremely close WW title fight, long-time dominant WW champ with the best TDD in the whole UFC gets soundly outgrappled for the first time in his life / loses decision*
AFTER: "lol Kamaru sucks / is a WW / lol he has no knees / he is 80 years old"

BEFORE: "He will be exposed. Finally he is fighting a real MW!"
THEN: *Costa pulls out*
AFTER: "lol Khamzat doesn't fight!"

MY GUESS "THEN": Khamzat wins vs the former MW champ / top 5 MW figher / stylistic nightmare
MY GUESS "AFTER": "lol Rob sucks / he was a WW / he is 80 years old"

I know haters have existed since the sport began but I've never seen so much goal-post-moving for a single fighter in the sport's history. Can you think of anything in MMA history that rivals this level of psychosis or shameless goalpost moving?

Honestly I haven't seen most of what you said
Agree with BigTruck... That said, there was one guy who bitched about him at like 3 in the morning... something like "I can't go to sleep thinking how overrated this guy is"... he got flamed pretty bad...
thus far Khamzat has been a big mouth who backs his shit up... I don't like big mouths but other than that his fights are decent...

You're the one making these imaginary goal posts. Like other people have said, he was supposed to be some machine that could walk through any WW or MW, but in reality he barely won the 2 fights where he fought good opponents.

And Usman is a WW. That's a fact. Barely beating Usman at a division he doesn't even belong in, is his greatest achievement. He's no Khabib. Let's put it that way...

I'm not so sure, he seems about the same but IMO Yoel gets overrated a little bit so that might be why I don't agree.
Yoel was more a case of wasted talent not being overrated due to no mean streak or aggressiveness. On the occasions he was he did serious damage. He just didn't throw much most fights sadly.

1. Li - This fight was early on in the Khamzat hype train, I definitely didn't think he was gonna expose Khamzat
  2. Burns - He legitimately did derail the hype train by almost sleeping Khamzat with a bomb overhand, and making it a war in general, which is a big deal seeing as he's a guy that Usman finished
  3. Holland - Everyone knew Khamzat would run through Holland, I mean I "predicted" that Holland would chin him but that was sarcasm cause of what a stupid mismatch it was
  4. Usman - I think it was a 28-28 draw with Khamzat winning R1 10-8 and then Usman winning R2 and R3 10-9, and Usman is a WW fighting on short notice
  5. Costa - Yeah this was Costa's fault but Khamzat does have some legit inactivity issues burning through his prime
  6. Whittaker - I think he's gonna win, MW just doesn't have elite grapplers so Whittaker's past fights haven't prepared him to deal with Khamzat

I once saw a gaboon viper crawl up a clowns ass.

Yoel was more a case of wasted talent not being overrated due to no mean streak or aggressiveness. On the occasions he was he did serious damage. He just didn't throw much most fights sadly.
Yeah, I can agree with that, he didn't maximize his skillset.

I've honestly never seen anything like this.

BEFORE: "He will be exposed the second he fights someone towards the top of the division. So much hype"
THEN: *steamrolls Li without taking one hit*
AFTER: "lol Li sucks"

BEFORE: "He will be exposed. Finally he is fighting a real WW!"
THEN: *beats top 3 Burns who is a stylistic nightmare in a FOTY*
AFTER: "lol Burns is a LW and should have won"

BEFORE: "He will be exposed. Kevin is the true fighter of 2020 not Khamzat."
THEN: *steamrolls Kevin without taking one hit*
AFTER: "lol Kevin sucks"

BEFORE: "He will be exposed. Kamaru is so much better. Khamzat has no way to win."
THEN: *one fight removed from an extremely close WW title fight, long-time dominant WW champ with the best TDD in the whole UFC gets soundly outgrappled for the first time in his life / loses decision*
AFTER: "lol Kamaru sucks / is a WW / lol he has no knees / he is 80 years old"

THEN: *Costa pulls out*
AFTER: "lol Khamzat doesn't fight!"

MY GUESS "THEN": Khamzat wins vs the former MW champ / top 5 MW figher / stylistic nightmare
MY GUESS "AFTER": "lol Rob sucks / he was a WW / he is 80 years old"

I know haters have existed since the sport began but I've never seen so much goal-post-moving for a single fighter in the sport's history. Can you think of anything in MMA history that rivals this level of psychosis or shameless goalpost moving?
As a fan of Chimaev, I can’t recall seeing any of these opinions featured prominently or at all. Interesting how one’s forum experience can be so different from another’s. Btw. Only twats keep track of “goal posts”. This feels like one of those go outside and touch some grass moments. It’s ok to doubt a fighter. Ive always doubted DuPlessis. He keeps making a fool out of me and I still doubt his abilities.

I've criticized Khamzat for not fighting any ranked middleweights. If he beats Rob he absolutely deserves a title shot.

Yes. Kamaru is a better striker, better wrestler, more heart, more cardio than Costa. I said this before and will still say it now.

Bizarre to me that Kamaru is considered "two losses" (both title fights fresh off the most dominant reign this last decade) and somehow lower than Costa... who is 1-3 in his last four only one of which was a title fight where he got demolished.

But that is sort of a different topic. I say "sort of" because the fact he lost to Khamzat is I believe the only reason he is being tossed into the trash to the extent that he is now.
I always remember Usman going on the JRE when he first got the title and I remember hearing how bad his knees and shoulders were then and thinking it sounded like he'd do one defence and then retire. I can't imagine how bad they are at this point, years ago he was saying he had to walk backwards down stairs and walk on the grass rather than pavement.

So taking the fight with Khamzat on 10 days notice I didn't have high hopes for his cardio, but his toughness and heart is something else.

No one, not even Li & Holland's family, expected them to beat Khamzat. Go look at the betting odds, Khamzat was huge favourite in both. Even against Burns & Usman, Khamzat was something like -500 & -250 in those 2 fights, so pretty disingenuous to act like most people thought Khamzat was going to lose. In any fight, there are doubters, people with bold takes, etc. The fact he was -500 against an elite WW in Burns shows how crazy the hype was, it was like saying Burns almost has no chance to win, which is nuts

No, remember Coleman? One two tournaments, almost popped Severna head off. Then lost to mo, Pete and a bs dec to Pedro. All that watched back then thought he was what khamzat was before the Gil fight. I'm sure there's lots of examples ,this just came to mind. It's MMA. Who know even shavkat has lost, amateur yes, but still beatable.

Probably Sean O'Malley.

I saw a post on twitter the other day saying Payton Talbott is what we were told Sean O'Malley was when Sean is literally the fucking world champion.
Seans's got a personality not worth paying attention to, but he's damn fun to watch (fight, not that weird shit he does with his girlfriend)

Back