Is Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning only for someone who competes?

PapiFlaco

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
What can someone who trains for he general functional strength, does martial arts non competitively, climbs & does parkour get from the book? How can such a person utilize the stuff?

I'm under the impression it's only for a competitor who does the whole "8 week" preparation phase before a fight. Am I wrong? If so, break it down please.

It's a great read for anyone wanting to understand more about adaptations to conditioning in general, not just in a fight-specific setting. The book breaks down the basic principles of what makes good for conditioning, gives information on how the different energy systems in the body work and support each other, and ideas on how you can improve conditioning. It's geared towards fighters, sure, but the bulk of the information is about conditioning as a whole, and gives you a better understanding of it and what you might need to do in order to improve yours.

It's a great read for anyone wanting to understand more about adaptations to conditioning in general, not just in a fight-specific setting. The book breaks down the basic principles of what makes good for conditioning, gives information on how the different energy systems in the body work and support each other, and ideas on how you can improve conditioning. It's geared towards fighters, sure, but the bulk of the information is about conditioning as a whole, and gives you a better understanding of it and what you might need to do in order to improve yours.

Is the information unique compared to other books of information? Is it worth the $50 compared to say $12 for Ross Enamait's books on conditioning? Will I learn anything different?

Also, do you think the heart rate monitor, more specifically the BioForce one is worth the $200?

Holy shit you make a lot of threads.

The book is not only for competitors, btw.

I recommend the book because it explains things in a way that most people can understand. It provides an intro to programming and physiology that can lead one to explore deeper.

I recommend the book because it explains things in a way that most people can understand. It provides an intro to programming and physiology that can lead one to explore deeper.

Is it better than Ross Enamait's stuff on conditioning, or can I learn the same or more with Ross's stuff ?

Dude just pick a freaking program and do it for a while. You are all over the place.

Is it better than Ross Enamait's stuff on conditioning, or can I learn the same or more with Ross's stuff ?

Ross is purely into high interval training while ignoring on the idea of doing any low intensity exercises for a long period of time. The only problem with that is that you plateau after 3 weeks.

However Ross is a cool guy and he's a beast when it comes to training. lol I really think he's came from Krypton.

Look into Tactical Barbell 2: Conditioning. It covers all of it, aerobic base building and follow-up continuation protocols. It's more general purpose, and easy to customize to whatever you're training for.

It'll cover you beyond just MMA specific conditioning.

Ross's books are entirely different to Joel's.

It's all information, but no amount of reading will benefit you if you aren't learning by doing as well.

Joel's book is probably the best lay introduction to block periodization for mixed sport athletes i've ever seen.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how can someone like Ross progress his conditioning solely on HIIT? You think that his training would of stall and burn out but yet he's like Captain America and just pushes through.

1) he did a shitload of road work in his youth. Like a lot a lot.
2) He does tons of low intensity "playing" activity and varies intensity and volume intuitively

Joel's book is probably the best lay introduction to block periodization for mixed sport athletes i've ever seen.

Should I also get a heart rate monitor? If so, should I get the bio force hrM? Or I can use any other one equally as effectively? Is the bio force just a marketing ploy?

Back