Is Gastelum Getting the Jon Jones Treatment?

One of the criticisms that some people have of Jones is that his LHW reign was against fighters past their prime - Shogun / Rampage / Machida / Belfort, etc.

I see a parallel with Gastelum - Weidman loss aside, he has somewhat of a streak against near retirees (no disrespect): Jacare, Bisping, Belfort, Kennedy, Marquardt, Hendricks. I know, I left out his WW losses (Magny/Woodley), because this is about Gastellum as a MW contender.

I understand that the MW division appears to be aging rapidly at the top, and that Gastelum (arguably a natural welterweight) is at the right place, at the right time. In this (and only this), he can be said to have the same career trajectory as Jones.

What do you guys think?

There are lots of stupid people then. JBJ fought Shogun to win the championship. JBJ then defended his title so he fought the top guys.

Gastelum is being very overestimated right now, I hope Vegas fall for it so I can make some money at his downfall.

He will still be better than you ever were or will be. His sock for that sake will be better than you ever were or will be.

Back